Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

the umpiring in that last quarter (well, from with 5 to go in the 3rd) was.... baffling

dare I say... disgraceful.
I turned it off, it was so nitpicky one way

So we have North today and we are already half way through the season and have our worst percentage ever with its currently sitting at 45.00, and only 2-3 winnable games for the rest of the season.

So unless there is a massive turnaround you would expect us to have a new coach next year as it seems we have gone backwards under Bernasconi.

So we have North today and we are already half way through the season and have our worst percentage ever with its currently sitting at 45.00, and only 2-3 winnable games for the rest of the season.

So unless there is a massive turnaround you would expect us to have a new coach next year as it seems we have gone backwards under Bernasconi.
Whilst I think 2-3 wins would be a bonus, sadly I think only the West Coast game in BISP offers us a chance to avoid a winless season and coming last. Hope I am wrong, and our AFLW team lifts in the latter half of the season like our men’s team did

Fingers crossed for a win soon. Given the shorter season it doesn't give much time to settle in new game styles or bounce back.

I've heard Cam mention that they're making adjustments and they're seeing signs of how they want to play. Second half of the game is where the game tends to get away from them a bit. Hopefully as they settle in to the game style they can just focus on going right up until the final siren.

Four of us will be attending next week at BISC to give them our support.

2 points at half time o_O
Might be a new coach sooner than you think.
The trouble is the way this thing is set up it’s really a Mickey Mouse competition. Until more quality players are developed and until they are spread equally we will always anchor the thing.

They should have taken their time, started it in Melbourne with 8 clubs and slowly developed a product.

However the AFL, being the greatest virtue signalling organisation in the country had to rush through a supposed comp where most of the teams cannot even field a full squad of capable players and we, restricted largely in personnel haven’t got a hope in hell.

It should be amazing, and in 10-15 years it probably will be, but it’s been rushed and as a consequence we will continue to be an embarrassment.

Really they should have a Premier League and Division 1.

10 teams in Premier and 8 in Div 1. Spend the money saved on developing talent, this will take a couple of years. If they implement this and methodically develop kids it will be very good.

The talented players are very good, the less talented and below should not be on National Television.

It’s a hard one, particularly in the political climate but the reality is it’s a very difficult sport to embrace currently even though we would all like to.

Really they should have a Premier League and Division 1.

10 teams in Premier and 8 in Div 1. Spend the money saved on developing talent, this will take a couple of years. If they implement this and methodically develop kids it will be very good.

The talented players are very good, the less talented and below should not be on National Television.

It’s a hard one, particularly in the political climate but the reality is it’s a very difficult sport to embrace currently even though we would all like to.
Yeah thought this when they started expanding so fast, it would also be a better way to deal with a restricted season length rather than conferences or whatever is going on with fixturing now. Because they went with the existing teams with existing supporter bases (a good decision), I don't think an Essendon vs Hawthorn match in Div 1 would get a much smaller crowd than in Premier or AFLW. Those kind of middle of the (total) table games can even be more meaningful when promotion or relegation are on the line.

Though, you would have a problem running traditional derbies if the two NSW teams (for instance) end up in different leagues.

I don't like virtue signalling as a criticism of the AFL though. Anytime the result is actually virtuous (like spending lots of money on a women's league) then it's not just signalling, it's also action. Signalling may be part of the motivation, but almost all virtuous acts have some mixture of motivations that includes wanting to look like a good person/organisation/whatever. Calling them all virtue signalling throws a lot out with the bathwater.

Was out today, guessing it was a pretty painful watch?

Yeah thought this when they started expanding so fast, it would also be a better way to deal with a restricted season length rather than conferences or whatever is going on with fixturing now. Because they went with the existing teams with existing supporter bases (a good decision), I don't think an Essendon vs Hawthorn match in Div 1 would get a much smaller crowd than in Premier or AFLW. Those kind of middle of the (total) table games can even be more meaningful when promotion or relegation are on the line.

Though, you would have a problem running traditional derbies if the two NSW teams (for instance) end up in different leagues.

I don't like virtue signalling as a criticism of the AFL though. Anytime the result is actually virtuous (like spending lots of money on a women's league) then it's not just signalling, it's also action. Signalling may be part of the motivation, but almost all virtuous acts have some mixture of motivations that includes wanting to look like a good person/organisation/whatever. Calling them all virtue signalling throws a lot out with the bathwater.

Was out today, guessing it was a pretty painful watch?
I should clarify I’m very pro-AFLW and pro- inclusivity but with the AFL they so often do things for appearance rather than practicality.

They really do cross the line a lot and are in my opinion guilty of trying to manufacture outcomes.

Sometimes this is unavoidable but sometimes like what they are doing with the Voice they really overstep boundaries and I honestly think it’s counter productive.

AFLW is very important, I believe it has its place and I think it can be an outstanding sport. Where I think they have bowed to public pressure is the rush.

Yes there are other sports vying for hearts and attention but to me that only makes it more vital to get things right and not build a house on sand.

It is a bit of a tricky scenario in that the sport itself requires a lot of money invested into it and time for players to be developed.

The male players are probably a bit annoyed currently but to me most of them are very well remunerated and if the sport can be strong on both sides it only benefits everyone in the long term.

I watch a lot of women’s sport and a lot of the sports are really entertaining and compelling. If we could one day get AFLW looking like Gaelic Football it will be amazing, I only wish we could see more of that sport.

I believe one day we will get there but I do think mistakes have been made in the construct which will slow down the process!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be coaching... list hasn't gone backwards this bad.
Or are we just being exposed as the expansion teams get their acts together, and we have found no corresponding ability to lift?

We are currently all tied at 17-17 at half time at Blacktown. Our best chance to score a win this season against West Coast (1-4)

Our remaining games in 2023 are
  • St Kilda (2-3) away
  • Carlton (4-2) at home
  • Gold Coast (3-2) away
  • Port (1-4) away

GREATER Western Sydney has ended its five-game losing streak with a defiant performance, claiming a comfortable 20-point win over West Coast.

The fabled 'big, big sound' from Sydney's west returned on Saturday when the Giants overcame a slow start to seal a 6.8 (44) to 3.6 (24) victory over the Eagles at Blacktown and put their winless first half of the season behind them. The ever-prolific Alyce Parker (23 disposals, 10 clearances, 16 contested possessions) was reliably prominent for the hosts, supported by Nicola Barr and Rebecca Beeson.

But it was 18-year-old Zarlie Goldsworthy who stole the show with her class. The emerging star kicked three goals in an electric performance. The Eagles' own young gun Ella Roberts also shone, kickstarting the match with the opening goal. Former Giant Aimee Schmidt backed up Roberts' goal with one of her own to build the margin to 12 points before quarter time, but it would be the last time the visitors would slot a major.

A skirmish erupted as tempers boiled in the second term and GWS debutant Rene Caris took advantage of a momentarily distracted West Coast to kick her first career goal. Chloe Dalton put the Giants in front for the first time before a monster effort by the Eagles drew level 2.5 (17) by halftime. There was no stopping a surging 'orange tsunami' in the second half, with GWS gathering four more contested possessions and 10 more uncontested disposals in comparison to West Coast's in the third term. Three majors to Zarlie Goldsworthy and one from skipper Alicia Eva blew the margin out to 26 points, effectively ending the contest.

The Giants (1-5) have a chance to build a winning streak when they take on St Kilda next round.

fun game to watch!
Not sure that game style is going to hold up against better teams (well, we kinda know already) but maybe with a bit more time together... maybe
Agreed.
They lifted on increased pressure in the 3rd quarter and clunked a few marks which allowed the scoring chains to happen.
A bit sloppy in the 4th when they had chances to increase the lead, but good enough to hold on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back