Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

A sad reminder of Jacinda Barclay's passing, and more broadly, if you're struggling in life, please seek help.

Lifeline Australia
Hours: Available 24 hours.
Learn more
13 11 14

13YARN - 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7 Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

RIP Jacinda

St Kilda recorded their fourth straight win with an emphatic 13-point victory over the GIANTS at RSEA Park. The Saints stifled the GIANTS’ run and piled on the pressure across all four quarters to come away with a 7.6 (48) to 5.5 (35) victory at Moorabbin.

Both sides produced impressive forward-half displays, with key pillars Zarlie Goldsworthy and Jesse Wardlaw shining for the GIANTS and Saints respectively as their strong forward craft came to the fore, whilst Jess Doyle provided a moment of brilliance with a classy goal of the year contender.

The GIANTS were able to attack the Saints early, applying pressure to kick their first score from turnover - a style of play that coach Cam Bernasconi had previously said exemplifies the GIANTS' way. Goldsworthy slotted the first goal from a deep inside 50 entry following strong pressure work from the GIANTS up the ground. But it was St Kilda that stole the momentum from that point, with its free-flowing handball chains providing it repeat inside 50 entries to culminate its own kind of tsunami. Despite emerging victorious in all of its prior matchups against St Kilda, the GIANTS ultimately failed to match the energy that the Saints injected into the game. The GIANTS struggled to create layers amongst its defence, allowing St Kilda to break into its forward fifty with ease across all four quarters.

Despite struggling Goldsworthy (two goals, 18 disposals, nine tackles) was once again a standout performer in the orange whilst Alicia Eva (24 disposals) and Rebecca Beeson (19 disposals, nine tackles) were also prolific. Alyce Parker (one goal, 24 disposals, eight tackles) was immense in the third term, but emerged from a contest with an ankle concern.

ST KILDA 2.3 4.6 6.6 7.6 (48)
GIANTS
1.0 2.1 3.3 5.5 (35)

GOALS

St Kilda:
Wardlaw 2, Richards 2, Exon 2, Smith
GIANTS: Goldsworthy 2, Doyle, Garnett, Parker

BEST

St Kilda:
Wardlaw, Smith, Patrikios, Richards, Vesely
GIANTS: Goldsworthy, Parker, Eva, Beeson, Evans

INJURIES

St Kilda:
Nicola Xenos (ankle)
GIANTS: Alyce Parker (ankle)

Reports: Nil

Crowd: 1,402 at RSEA Park

The GIANTS have made two changes to their team to take on the Blues at Henson Park on Saturday.

The GIANTS have recalled ruck Fleur Davies and versatile tall Teagan Germech for the club’s final home game of the season. The pair made their AFLW debuts against the Swans in round one with Davies returning for her seventh game of the season after missing last week’s match through suspension. Germech has made a speedy recovery from an ankle injury that has sidelined her for the past three matches.

The GIANTS were forced into two changes, with reigning Gabrielle Trainor Medallist Alyce Parker to miss the remainder of the season with an ankle injury while Rebecca Beeson is serving a one-match suspension. Coach Cam Bernasconi said the GIANTS are looking forward to returning to Henson Park in front of their home fans.

Match Details:

GIANTS v Carlton
Saturday, October 21 at 3:05pm
Henson Park | Gadigal Country

Team:

FB: Katherine Smith, Pepa Randall
HB: Chloe Dalton, Jodie Hicks, Tarni Evans
C: Emily Pease, Ally Dallaway, Alicia Eva
HF: Jessica Doyle, Zarlie Goldsworthy, Isabel Huntington
FF: Georgia Garnett, Brodee Mowbray
RR: Fleur Davies, Nicola Barr, Haneen Zreika

Interchange: Cambridge McCormick, Isadora McLeay, Rene Caris, Jasmine Grierson, Teagan Germech

In: Fleur Davies, Teagan Germech

Out: Alyce Parker (injury), Rebecca Beeson (suspension)

Emergencies: Tess Cattle, Grace Hill, Caitlin Miller

Excellent close win today vs Carlton. At 2-6, and with 2 rounds left, we won’t make the finals - but great effort and courage by our Women’s team in not giving up and coming home strong, after at one stage being 0-5 and looking at a winless season.
Especially over a finals-contending team like Carlton. Very impressive.

RISING star Zarlie Goldsworthy has steered Greater Western Sydney to a hair-raising two-point triumph over finals hopefuls Carlton at Henson Park. With the Giants missing their strongest ball magnets in Alyce Parker (ankle) and Bec Beeson (suspension) on Saturday, the 18-year-old kicked five goals to lead GWS to its second win of the season, 8.1 (49) to 7.5 (47).

GIANTS v BLUES Full match coverage and stats

Goldsworthy worked overtime to also lay 11 tackles and gather 14 contested possessions, alongside Haneen Zreika (16 tackles) and Nicola Barr (five clearances). "The message at three-quarter time was, 'we've been in this position a few times this year and every time we go away from our system, we fall to the other side of the result'," Giants coach Cam Bernasconi said.

The difference

In a match that went down to the wire there was no doubt Zarlie Goldsworthy's best-on-ground performance was the difference between the two sides. The 18-year-old's five goals and 22 disposals were spread throughout the contest, but her final term was immense. Two goals in a minute to start the fourth quarter put the Giants in front for the first time since early in the second term, her third - and fifth overall - snatched the lead back again, and then her gather and centering kick set up Jodie Hicks for the sealer.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 2.0 3.1 4.1 8.1 (49)
CARLTON 1.2 3.2 4.3 7.5 (47)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Goldsworthy 5, Hicks, Doyle, Pease
Carlton: Austin, Vescio, Sherar, Milford, Fitzpatrick, Cordner

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Goldsworthy, Zreika, Barr, Dallaway, Pease,
Carlton: Moody, McKay, Sherar, Hill, Goss

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
Mowbray (knee)
Carlton: Nil

Crowd: TBC at Henson Park

I can find Brooke Lochland kicking seven goals back in 2018 but I can't remember too many five goal games or higher!
I think there have been more this season than all previous seasons put together, but I am just pulling that out of my arsenal, need to look it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attended the game yesterday, was brilliant. Nice little location there too with Henson Hotel nearby for lunch prior to.

Agree with other posters about Zarlie - definitely need to look at locking her in as she is definitely the kind of player that could have a positive impact on the team which could see the team walk just that little bit taller with her on the field to help the team build and shine on field.

Mate who I've been unable to get to attend anymore AFLW matches with since the Swans v Giants game thoroughly enjoyed the game, including another mate which was his first AFLW game. Pity it was the last home game of the season but certainly ended our home games on a high. :D

Chats with ‘Ted Lasso’ and new-found confidence: How Zarlie Goldsworthy came into her own at the Giants

1698013610482.png

Zarlie Goldsworthy and the Giants celebrate victory. Picture: Jenny Evans/Getty Images

By Lachlan Mckirdy

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

22 October2023

As Zarlie Goldsworthy wheeled away following her fifth goal of the day against the Blues, she realised she was running out of ways to celebrate.

Earlier in the final term, she marked her third goal with a fist pump towards the scoreboard.. Her fourth goal saw a slightly more subdued jump into the arms of teammate Jess Doyle.

“([I’ll celebrate) with anyone to be honest,” Goldsworthy said.

“A lot of the girls were giving me s--t for it, but I don’t plan it or mean it, it’s just what happens in the moment.

“And in the moment, I just felt like turning to what was the crowd, but it turned out to just be the scoreboard in the end. So I was just celebrating six points.”

1698013670003.png

Goldsworthy runs to the forward pocked to celebrate her third goal of the day. Picture: Phil Hillyard

It was only the 16th game of Goldsworthy’s young career, but the crowd at Henson Park on Saturday knew they were witnessing something special.

The teenager became the youngest player in AFLW history to kick five goals in a game and single-handedly dragged the Giants over the line for just their second win of the season.

In a game where GWS was without the experienced duo of Alyce Parker and Rebecca Beeson, Goldsworthy took it on herself to step up and fill the void.

“I feel a lot more confident in myself and my role within the team,” Goldsworthy said.

“Last year being 17, I didn’t have a lot of confidence and didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes. Now I feel like I’ve gotten a bit of continuity with my position and just felt really comfortable and confident.

“Those two players are definitely irreplaceable. But I just thought, you know, I’m not going to be Alyce Parker but I can definitely just try and do my best to recreate her and put my own twist on it.”

1698013712534.png

It was a flawless day in front of goal for Goldsworthy. Picture: Phil Hillyard

The scoreboard wasn’t the only area where Goldsworthy managed to impact the game. She finished the day with 11 tackles, two of which lead to set shots on goal.

It’s a regular conversation she’s had with coach Cam Bernasconi about finding different ways to leave her mark.

“We had a coffee during the week and she’s having a good season but I still think she’s got a lot of growth as well,” Bernasconi said.

“You base your game around defence. Players love playing with players who value defence, and I think she’s doing a great job with that.

“I know she had a great game kicking five, but it’s her pressure acts, that’s why the girls love her.”

“I love Berna and as I’ve told him many times, he’s the ultimate hype girl,” Goldsworthy added. “He’s always going to be very encouraging. He’s a bit like Ted Lasso.

“I know there are areas in my game I want to work on and he’s gonna help me get there.”

1698013740264.png

Carlton’s Dayna Finn felt the brunt of a Goldsworthy tackle. Picture: Phil Hillyard

The youngster from the Riverina has now put the competition on notice as one of the most damaging forwards going around.

And while this season’s Rising Star award is likely hers for the taking, her sights are only set on building long-term success for the Giants.

“The feeling was amazing,” Goldsworthy said. “When we sing the team song, we want to get everyone in the circle because we know it’s a full club effort.

“For me, why I feel like I’m getting some really good consistency with footy is that I’m not worried about any outside noise.

“I’ll continue sticking to my game plan and not worrying about anything that I can’t control.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back