Review Season 2023 Thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok

So the good.
Coach- In Kingers we trust. Our coach has the heart, smarts and passion of a great coach.
He has also seemed to have bought into our club. You can tell with his interviews.
Players- Our stars have re-signed. Our youth have re-signed. There is no exodus of 2023. On top of that we are playing players in position and they are buying in to Kingers plan.
Pretty much every one had career best seasons.
Social Media- Do I need to type? Best in the league.
Crowds- After the massive reset that was Covid and the Jezza loss we have grown each year in Western Sydney. so tick, ish. But there is enough fans of the sport to fill the stadium 10 times over.
Stadium- Its the best in the league.
Sponsorship- We still seem to be sitting in the top half of all the clubs.
TV- Only thing I can say is our finals are up in Sydney by more than 200%
Membership- Awesome to break the record.

Meh.
Academies- Western Sydney is known for its stars in sport. Yet after 12 years we have the Rigg Briggs and Peatling. That's not good enough. From the outside it looks like we are taking the easy route of going through Canberra and Southern NSW, which is big in Aussie Rules.
There is reports of a push to get more WS kids through, lets all hope so as there is so much athletic talent here and it also builds support.

Bad.
Crowds- Have said in another thread its a disgrace that such a passionate region hasn't bought in on the club. Giants deserve 20k in the stadium in Western Sydney.
As for Canberra don't get cocky. The reason there's more there for some is because you are next to Vic.
Board- I'm over Victorians and Eastern Sydney elite making decisions for our club. The clubs remit is to grow the game in Western Sydney. Yes the AFL want control but why you wouldn't give members a rep to vote on, and all grass roots clubs in the region a rep as well, is beyond me and something that hurts our growth in my opinion.

Ugly-
Media- Woeful, we seem to really struggle in Sydney. We have to break down the walls.
we literally had no one on SEN Sydney all week even though we were one week from a GF. Even if that's not on us we ned to be proactive and get things moving in the right direction.
As backwards as NSW sports media is we need to push for change.

Last edited:
Good - Adam Kingsley.

His appointment was a masterstroke. He has single-handedly swept away the malaise that surrounded the club after the COVID years.

He has major street cred within the players. They want to win for him, not just themselves. We won't have trouble recruiting.

Kingsley has also changed the way we're perceived within the AFL community. We're now genuinely respected. The "plastics" bulls*** has vanished

Good - Captain Toby

Toby Greene is an icon. I desperately hope he wins a premiership. He's stuck with us all these years without a hint of wanting out. He gives so much of himself to us. Thanks Toby. You'll have a medal named after you one day.

Good - Road warriors

I've always thought it was in our interest to win away from home, and do so comfortably. It happened in spades this year!

Good - Our supporters

I've met some wonderful people at this club over the years, especially interstate. Can't wait to see them again next year.

We've also got some great people on this board.🙂

Good - The Orange Tsunami warning

Love hearing that siren before the bounce. A great idea. Creates a sense of occasion. We have some clever people in marketing.

Bad - Home crowds

Nice to set all these membership records. But where is everyone on game days? We need more than the Swans for 20K crowds.

I can't think of anything too negative to say. I'm a foundation member who takes a lot of pride at what we've built over the years.

So enjoy the off-season everyone. Next year will be special.

Last edited:

The media consensus seems to be that it was a great year for us and sets us up for further 2024 success. Kingsley is the right coach and his system works and has been embraced by the team. Toby as our 2nd ever standalone captain has been inspiring with the team responding to his passion and leadership. We also have had players having fantastic breakout seasons, as well as sustained continuing form.

Pound-for-pound, they have a genuine argument to lay claims to the best defender (Sam Taylor), forward (Toby Greene), inside midfielder (Tom Green) and ruck in the sport (Kieren Briggs). Champion Data certainly wouldn't scoff at that claim, and the average age of that quartet heading into next season will only be 25 years.

The loss to Collingwood doesn't take the shine off one of the more stunning turnarounds in recent AFL memory. The Giants not only avoided a full-blown bottom out and rebuild, but, under Kingsley, are primed for another flag tilt in 2024.

Brilliant game and season by your boys you have a massive new fan in my 7 year old son (Loves Toby Green). My son who was in tears after the game only if Lachie Aish gave the handball to Toby Green, you guys should be mighty proud of your club and Adam Kingsley brilliant season. You have a great team to push for flag

Great season on field and next year need to cash in on hopefully a top 4 year, to get some media exposure, crowds up etc. The club has some goodwill across the competition now.

The club/afl should be leaning on news.ltd and sen' s afl traitor in hutchie for better coverage. Dave Matthews knows the deal, he has just been up against it, but Dillon will help the club more than gill did and the fixturing will improve, I'm sure of that.

Good
  • Kingsley - I don't think we could've found a more perfect fit for the club and this playing list. And it all really came out of nowhere with him being the dark horse during the coaching search, but boy am I glad that the club made this decision. What a brilliant coach.
  • Green, Cogs & Kelly - all three have played such consistent footy this year, just never let off.
  • Toby Greene - How can you not be proud of him. An absolute gun player but also a ripper of a bloke too. He may not have necessarily put his hand up and called out for the leadership position, but he's taken it gracefully with both hands and owned it.
  • Kieren Briggs - in a year where I wasn't sure what our ruck situation would look like, Briggs put his hand up and entered the fray. All the years of development and under the wing of Mummy has really shown. I hope he has a cracking pre-season and we can get even more out of him because he seems to only just be getting started.
  • Defenders - We all knew what Taylor was capable of, but he really made his mark this year. Jack Buckley showed promises before his injury but he came back fit and firing from his first game back and exceeded expectations. Idun - wow! One of our BOG last night, he has to be the most improved player this season - he's so reliable and consistent.
  • Fanfare and social media - I think the club has found its niche with its social media content and branding this year - we're fun and light hearted, and everyone's second favourite team! It certainly helps we play an exciting brand of footy. I think if we can be the second favourite team of footy heads who have barracked for another club all their life, we can be the favourite team of non-footy heads who are only just getting interested in AFL - it's a massive opportunity.
Bad
  • Crowds - I hope one day we'll be able to sell out GIANTS stadium at least for the derby, and consistently draw 20k+ crowds.
  • Losing pieces of the heart and soul of the club - for different reasons, Lloyd and Davis are the heart and soul of the club, and set the standards for the players in their own ways and it sucks for them to go out without a premiership.
Probably a few more in the bad column, but nothing that can overshadow how proud I am of how the club has over achieved this year.

🧡

Firstly sorry for the intrusion. I have never posted on another team's board before in 15 years here.

Respect- you are the best team we played this year by a long way. I know you are gutted as we were in the same position last year and in 2019. I feel you. I hope you go one further next year.

At the ground last night watching you set up plays was scary. Your defence and transition game is excellent.

Be patient. You're tracking very nicely.

Congrats on an awesome year!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok. There are lies damned lies and statistics - but I love a good stat, so here are some from this season…

our longest winning streak
tied for our longest streak away from home
our highest score
our biggest win
our 2nd biggest half time margin
our biggest 3/4 time margin
our two biggest wins from a half time deficit
our 2nd biggest deficit overcome from 3/4 time (& 5 of our top 12 3/4 time deficits overcome)
our lowest winning score (47 v D’s in Alice) - we can win ugly if needed
3 consecutive 100+ point games - twice (4 in 2017 our best there)
our biggest ever form reversal - the 177 point turn around from the Port to the Bombers game
won at 11 different venues - an V/AFL record

Tom Green set a new club record for most handballs in a season (& tied the record for most handballs in a game)
Tom Green also set the record for most contested possessions in a season
Jack Buckley set a new club record for most 1%ers in a season
Sam Taylor tied his own record for most 1%ers in a game
Jesse Hogan tied the record for most goals in a game & most marks inside 50 in a game

Both Cogs & Toby were 2 inside 50s short of that season record & Toby was 2 Goal Assists short of that season record

First time someone not named Jeremy Cameron kicked more than 50 goals - Toby now sits 2nd on that ladder

in terms of personal best seasons in various stat categories (for players with more than 50 games)

Ward - marks inside 50
Toby Green - kicks, goals, marks inside 50
Whitfield - kicks, handballs, disposals, rebound 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions
Haynes - clearances
Cogs - kicks, handballs, disposals, inside 50s, clearances, uncontested possessions, 1%ers
HH - kicks, handballs, disposals, hit outs, rebound 50s, clearances, uncontested possessions, bounces, 1%ers
Pez - handballs, tackles, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, goal assists, 1%ers
Lloyd - kicks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, bounces, goal assists, 1%ers
Ash - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, 1%ers
Binga - goals, rebound 50s, clearances
Cheese - goals, clearances, bounces, goal assists, marks inside 50
Keefe - hit outs, inside 50s, clearances, goal assists
Idun - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, bounces, 1%ers
Tom Green - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions
Hogan - goals, hit outs, marks inside 50, 1%ers

the number of career best 1%ers shows how Kingsley has them playing.

these stats were gathered from AFL Tables (AFL Tables - Greater Western Sydney) which unfortunately doesn’t track things like intercept marks or meters gained, which is slightly annoying because I reckon there’d be a few more things added to the above lists.

anyway - I reckon it was a pretty good season (given the start) and a lot of our players were humming. Augurs well for the future.

Last edited:
Ok. There are lies damned lies and statistics - but I love a good stat, so here are some from this season…

our longest winning streak
tied for our longest streak away from home
our highest score
our biggest win
our 2nd biggest half time margin
our biggest 3/4 time margin
our two biggest wins from a half time deficit
our 2nd biggest deficit overcome from 3/4 time (& 5 of our top 12 3/4 time deficits overcome)
our lowest winning score (47 v D’s in Alice) - we can win ugly if needed
3 consecutive 100+ point games - twice (4 in 2017 our best there)
our biggest ever form reversal - the 177 point turn around from the Port to the Bombers game
won at 11 different venues - an V/AFL record

Tom Green set a new club record for most handballs in a season (& tied the record for most handballs in a game)
Tom Green also set the record for most contested possessions in a season
Jack Buckley set a new club record for most 1%ers in a season
Sam Taylor tied his own record for most 1%ers in a game
Jesse Hogan tied the record for most goals in a game & most marks inside 50 in a game

Both Cogs & Toby were 2 inside 50s short of that season record & Toby was 2 Goal Assists short of that season record

First time someone not named Jeremy Cameron kicked more than 50 goals - Toby now sits 2nd on that ladder

in terms of personal best seasons in various stat categories (for players with more than 50 games)

Ward - marks inside 50
Toby Green - kicks, goals, marks inside 50
Whitfield - kicks, handballs, disposals, rebound 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions
Haynes - clearances
Cogs - kicks, handballs, disposals, inside 50s, clearances, uncontested possessions, 1%ers
HH - kicks, handballs, disposals, hit outs, rebound 50s, clearances, uncontested possessions, bounces, 1%ers
Pez - handballs, tackles, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, goal assists, 1%ers
Lloyd - kicks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, bounces, goal assists, 1%ers
Ash - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, 1%ers
Binga - goals, rebound 50s, clearances
Cheese - goals, clearances, bounces, goal assists, marks inside 50
Keefe - hit outs, inside 50s, clearances, goal assists
Idun - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, bounces, 1%ers
Tom Green - kicks, marks, handballs, disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions
Hogan - goals, hit outs, marks inside 50, 1%ers

the number of career best 1%ers shows how Kingsley has them playing.

these stats were gathered from AFL Tables (AFL Tables - Greater Western Sydney) which unfortunately doesn’t track things like intercept marks or meters gained, which is slightly annoying because I reckon there’d be a few more things added to the above lists.

anyway - I reckon it was a pretty good season (given the start) and a lot of our players were humming. Augurs well for the future.
All well and good, but I'd swap every one of those records for a flag any day.

That's the only stat that matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back