Preview Pre-Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although a pre-season match, good solid win. Says Preuss May have MRO concerns, but the video of the tackle seems fine for us?
Preuss should be fine. He got down low to tackle as the Suns player tried, for some reason, to jump over him.
The Suns player flipped as Preuss stood up.
The last quarter doesn't bother me. Mostly junk-time scores and as long as there are no major injuries, it was an encouraging game.

Obvious preseason disclaimers HOWEVER
That went about as well as we could’ve hoped for, Whitfield looked great, Finn looked awesome 2 goals, 400+ metres gained, 8 score involvements was outstanding, Kelly was great as usual, Ash looks SO MUCH better behind the ball was really good today, need to see Riccardi do this for real before I get excited, Green set career highs or close to for a whole bunch of stats, the jump he’s going to take is for real, Wehr was solid happy with how he played. Toby was pretty poor in the first quarter but shook of the rust pretty quick and was crucial after that. Perryman quiet but could be an off game, Fahey didn’t look too bad either. We lost clearances by 10 and still won by 50 that would’ve been impossible under Leon great to have a system that doesn’t have such a heavy reliance on contest dominance.

Adam is pleased at the post match interview but not carried away - he recognises its a practise match and there’s room for improvement. Good comments on specific players as well. We should be feeling confident for the Adelaide season opener.

Bit off-topic....
Watching pre-season Melbourne v Richmond.
Taranto STILL has the habit of the blind turn midfield kick to the forward line.
As happened often - it was marked by the backline and quickly moved forward.

I like BISP, you’re close to the action, it’s easy to get to (for me) and it’s a good atmosphere even with a small crowd.

pre-season. Lots of rust. But a good game nonetheless.

Green & Callaghan is going to be a combination I like watching over the next couple of years.
Ash & Whitfield off half back - yes please, more of that.
that third quarter was the sort of thing I want to see more of.
Aleer is finding his feet.
Wehr will be playing regular senior footy.
Haynes has lost a step or two in pace, which is a problem for a defender who plays from behind. His closing speed is just not there anymore.
Kenners still has his speed, but a couple of horrible turnovers (hopefully that’s just pre-season)
They all have to use the ball better going inside 50 - kicking it straight to oppo players is not a sustainable strategy.
Peatling’s smother late in the 4th, up by nearly 50 in a pre-season game, deserves special mention. Great effort.
I like the intention to play on whenever possible - occasionally still one too many handballs, but at least we didn’t faff about with it in the back half too often.
I like HH back up forward.
Fahey was close last year to a game before doing his shoulder - and while he wasn’t a stand-out today, he was solid & will be getting his senior call-up before too long.
Cogs played well carrying on his improved form from last year - hopefully his dark days are fully behind him.
Preuss may yet redeem the #11 - but my tip is at least two suspensions this year. He has to watch himself.

all in all a good day out and yes, it’s only a pre-season and yes it was only the suns, but I think we have a fair bit to look forward tonthis year.

Very impressed with Finn and Wehr through the middle. The overlap and run by the seniors looked good too. I suspect Preuss will miss time just by the optics - not a heap different from the "you can't protect yourself" logic of sling tackles.

Very impressed with Finn and Wehr through the middle. The overlap and run by the seniors looked good too. I suspect Preuss will miss time just by the optics - not a heap different from the "you can't protect yourself" logic of sling tackles.

looking at the slow-mo the suns player jumped, twisted in mid air and Preuss let go before he hit the turf. Shouldn’t have even been a free.

Adam is pleased at the post match interview but not carried away - he recognises its a practise match and there’s room for improvement. Good comments on specific players as well. We should be feeling confident for the Adelaide season opener.
I like him.
None of this “we have to watch the vision, umps have a tough job.”
Nope
“His tackling technique was perfect and he played how we want him to play. The opposition player jumped”.(paraphrasing).

A coach who will say what needs to be said.

Watching the Tigers game… the lack of defensive run from Hopper…
The comments that will flow from Vic about Hopper and Taranto will be the same that we have all said for years, but they will look like some sought of geniuses for just working it out.

Just like when Shiel headed south.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back