Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course, but these girls could do well at sports not so likely to screw their knees is all
Absolutely, but like any of us most of these girls are in it because they love the game (or it's the only one available that they can play at a professional level). I know Hodder came over from the NRL because she preferred AFL. Many others came over from basketball or Gaelic football which I believe we pay more than. I think of American football or even something like MMA - both are lot more likely to cause injury still, but again people start it because they enjoy it as much as anything.

The women do acls way too easily …. Not sure it’s worth it
I don't get this attitude. So arbitrary. So 1 ACL per 5000 hours or whatever for men is 'worth it' but 2 or 3 for women is not? Who defines this, and how?

Meanwhile 100s of people killed by cars every year in Australia is apparently 'worth it' for us to all drive around 10km/hr faster... ah sorry that's my other job leaking over.

Anyway, was starting to think Mowbray was looking like a real asset to the side, so that's a shame, but lots of players have come back really well. Hopefully still a long career ahead of her.

I don't get this attitude. So arbitrary. So 1 ACL per 5000 hours or whatever for men is 'worth it' but 2 or 3 for women is not? Who defines this, and how?

Meanwhile 100s of people killed by cars every year in Australia is apparently 'worth it' for us to all drive around 10km/hr faster... ah sorry that's my other job leaking over.

Anyway, was starting to think Mowbray was looking like a real asset to the side, so that's a shame, but lots of players have come back really well. Hopefully still a long career ahead of her.
It’s not 2 or 3 is the point.

I didn't realise that the women players were more susceptible to ACL injury.
I recall there was a major issue with netball players getting knee injuries - but I thought it was because of the stop/start nature of the game.
If players understand the risk, then I can't see an issue.

It’s not 2 or 3 is the point.
I just made up the numbers, sorry should have been clear. Have looked them up now, for the most recent season the incidence is 2.84 ACL injuries per 1000 player hours, vs 0.8 for typical men's season. So actually a pretty similar ratio to what I said but wrong number of player hours. The women's numbers were higher in the earlier seasons but have been trending down, which is a good indication that their preventative measures are working.

(Though could also be an indication that with higher level girls' footy available, more girls are doing them before being drafted, not afterwards, but I wouldn't know where to find numbers to investigate that).

But the point is people saying the situation for men is 'ok', the situation for women is 'not ok', even though it's a matter of degree. Why is 1 ok but 3 not ok?

Players certainly know the risk.

The only injury where I think it's legitimate to sit and get worried from the sidelines on behalf of players is the head injuries, because that can affect the rest of your life beyond sport.

Last edited:

Gold Coast Suns v GIANTS 

Friday, October 27 at 6:45pm EST/7:45pm EDT 

Heritage Bank Stadium | Yugambeh Country

State of Play: 

The GIANTS were without star midfield pair Alyce Parker and Rebecca Beeson for their clash with Carlton last round, but it mattered little as teenage sensation Zarlie Goldsworthy tore the game apart with a five-goal, 24 disposal performance to lead the GIANTS to a tense two-point win over the Blues at Henson Park, the club’s second win of the season. In a rare Friday night clash for the GIANTS this week, the orange team will be looking for their first away win of the season against the Suns.

The Opposition: 

The Suns are sitting in seventh on the AFLW ladder with two rounds to go, having recorded four wins, three losses and a draw for the season so far. The draw occurred last week against the Power in Adelaide in a game that see-sawed all day. With less than two minutes to go, Sun Jacqueline Dupuy scored a huge goal to level the scores and with neither side able to add to their total, the two teams split the points.

Recent History: 

The GIANTS and Suns last faced off in the final round of last season at Henson Park in Sydney’s inner west, where the GIANTS recorded a 12-point win to cap off season seven. The victory maintained the club’s perfect record against Gold Coast in the AFLW, with its fourth consecutive win in the head-to-head battles.

GIANTS Player to Watch: 

History could be made on Friday on the Gold Coast with three of the four Davies sisters to potentially take to Heritage Bank Stadium. 19-year-old Fleur, playing her first season for the GIANTS, has played all but one game in the ruck for the club this season – missing one game through suspension. Fleur joined the GIANTS from the Gold Coast, with sisters Giselle and Darcie both playing for the Suns’ AFLW side. 18-year-old Darcie has also played seven games in the ruck this season – for the Suns – while 20-year-old Giselle played six games in season seven but is yet to feature in 2023. 17-year-old Georgia is the fourth of the Davies sisters and is currently playing in the Suns Academy.

In the Mix: 

Midfield gun Parker will miss the remainder of the season, but the GIANTS will re-gain inaugural GIANT Rebecca Beeson from suspension for Friday’s clash. She could be a straight swap for forward Brodee Mowbray who unfortunately suffered a serious knee injury last round. Running machine Madison Brazendale made her return from injury in a scrimmage in Brisbane last week and could come into selection consideration, while Tess Cattle, Grace Hill and Caitlin Miller were last week’s emergencies.

For the Giants, Bec Beeson returns while Brodee Mowbray will miss after tearing her ACL.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27

Gold Coast v Greater Western Sydney at Heritage Bank Stadium, 6.45pm AEST

GOLD COAST

In:
E.Maurer, M.Girvan, T.Meyer
Out:
L.Single (suspension), C.Fitzpatrick (omitted), A.Gee (omitted)

Milestone: Ali Drennan (50 games)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
R.Beeson
Out:
B.Mowbray (suspension)

Milestone: Pepa Randall (50 games)

Notably, GWS ruck Fleur Davies will line up against her younger sister (Darcie) in the Suns' side!

GCS-W v GWS-W.png

AFLW 2023: All the news, scores and results from round 9

By Jake Garland

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

27 OCTOBER 2023

Gold Coast’s midfield weapon Claudia Whitfort showcased her dominance on Friday night with a game-high 34 disposals, keeping the Suns home finals hopes alive.

Whitfort also had a game high 9 centre clearances, supported strongly by Alison Drennan (3) and Charlie Rowbottom (6).

The Suns midfield was too strong for the Giants, winning the clearance count 34-23, giving the Suns the first victory over the Giants in their fifth meeting.

Despite such a dominant display by the Suns midfield, the Giants won the pressure count, claiming 93 tackles to 59 – but it wasn’t enough.

BARWICK MOTIONLESS AFTER HEAD COLLISION

In the first 60 seconds, Sun Elise Barwick was involved in a nasty head knock which resulted in the midfielder being stretchered from the ground.

Barwick was chasing the ball on the wing in front of the interchange and bent down to pick up the ball just as Giants Jessica Doyle came in, with the pair colliding heads, leaving Barwick motionless for a number of minutes.

Despite efforts of telling the doctor she wanted to return to the field, after spending the whole of the first quarter off, the 24-year-old never returned, while Doyle looked unfazed by the collision.

GIANTS COSTLY FORWARD ENTRIES

The Giants looked to move the ball through the centre of the ground throughout the night but it was the forward 50 entries that cost the side.

Despite 25 inside 50s, the Giants only managed 2.5 compared to the Suns who had 35 inside 50s to win by 31 points.

Multiple times throughout the night, the Giants bombed the ball in long to the top of the square to the one-on-one only for Suns defender Vivien Saad to win the contests and clear their defence.

On a number of occasions, the Giants lowered their eyes when going forward, hitting targets and setting up better opportunities to no success.

ROWBOTTOM INJURY WORRY

After a dominant game from the midfielder, Charlie Rowbottom limped from the ground midway through the fourth quarter.

Almost falling into the trainer’s hands once she crossed the interchange gates, Rowbottom looked in serious amounts of pain as she was walked to the table in the hands of the doctor.

At first sighting, it looked like a possible left ankle injury, but the doctors looked to be checking to make sure the ACL was all clear.

The Suns camp will be hoping it is nothing too serious as Gold Coast look to play finals for the first time.

SCOREBOARD

SUNS: 0.1 3.2 5.4 7.6 (48)

GIANTS: 0.1 1.1 2.3 2.5 (17)

GOALS: Suns: Bohanna 2, Whitfort, Rowbottom, Stanton, Dupuy, Brancatisano Giants: Huntington, Beeson

BEST: Suns: Whitford, Rowbottom, Drennan, Bohanna, Brancatisano Giants: Beeson, Dalton, Goldsworthy, Evans, Huntington

INJURIES: Suns: Barwick (concussion) Rowbottom (ankle) Giants: Nil

VENUE: Heritage Bank Stadium

GWS Giants AFLW player Chloe Dalton meets pioneer Lynn Smith

By Lachlan Mckirdy

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

27 October 2023

When Chloe Dalton sat down with women’s football pioneer Lynn Smith, she was stunned by the lengths she had to go through to play the sport she loved.

“Lynn was telling us that she didn’t even know what brand her boots were,” Dalton said.

“She’d gone down to the local markets to buy them. And then she put this ad in the newspaper because she had this feeling there were other women like her that wanted to play footy.”

Dalton is one of many athletes who get to build on the work that Smith and many others put in years ago.

The 30-year-old is a star of the Giants’ AFLW side and is better equipped than most to understand just how far women’s sport has progressed in recent years.

1698451901920.png

The rebound defender has played every game for the Giants in 2023. Picture: Phil Hillyard

She was a gold medallist at the Rio Olympics as part of the Australian rugby sevens team, as well as forging impressive careers in both basketball and now footy.

Off the field, Dalton is also a host of The Female Athlete Project podcast and has penned a book on the rise of women’s sport.

“I feel fortunate to be a part of the generation that started to see a real shift in the professionalism of a number of codes across the country,” Dalton said.

“It’s been incredible to be given the opportunity to play at the top level across a number of sports, and overtime to be able to make that my sole career.

“I think what that can do for an athlete, the ability to make your sport a full-time job just means you can invest all of your time and energy into being the very best athlete you can be.”

But now she has been given a chance to walk in Smith’s shoes. As part of a partnership with the AFLW and Johnnie Walker, Dalton was gifted one of four boots crafted out of shoes worn by Smith and 20 other legacy players of women’s footy.

1698451921312.png
Dalton is presented with the special boots by Smith. Picture: Supplied

“It was one of the things that drew me to play AFLW in the first place,” Dalton said. “I was amazed by the storytelling element of so many of these incredible women who wanted to play at the top level but hadn’t been given the chance.

“But I now have a chance to play it semi-professionally because of these incredible women.”

In the space of a decade, Dalton has gone from barely being paid enough to cover the petrol needed to drive to and from basketball training to becoming one of the most recognisable names in the AFLW.

There is still a long way to go in the growth of the competition, but Dalton is already noticing differences this season.

Running alongside a teenage teammate in Zarlie Goldsworthy who can kick five goals in a game gives her even more reason to be optimistic.

“I think as the pathways continue to improve as well, it means that we get players like Zarlie who are almost ready to hit the ground running when they get into the program,” Dalton said.

“I think there’s been a real shift in the respect shown to a lot of female athletes.

“Unfortunately, as players, you can’t really avoid reading a lot of the comments on social media in past seasons around scorelines and things. But I think the quality of competition this year has been incredible, and I think really shows what continued investment in the game can look like.

“The recent CBA that’s been negotiated is moving in the right direction towards increasing that minimum salary to make sure the players by 2026 can basically have a full-time job.”

1698451938814.png

The talented athlete started in basketball, including the NSW under-18 rep team. Picture: Braden Fastier

1698451953574.png
Dalton as part of the gold medal-winning rugby sevens team at the 2016 Olympics. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Dalton is determined to continue using her voice in the space to break down barriers for young girls dreaming of a career in sport.

And as attitudes change, she wants to ensure the trailblazers who went before her are never forgotten.

“People love seeing women succeeding … and I really am a firm believer in the power of sport to change people’s attitudes,” Dalton said.

“Australia as a whole, we have some of the best athletes in the world. It’s had that even without the best type of investment. It’s cool to think of what the future possibilities could look like.

“I look forward to the day when I get to hand these boots on to someone from the next generation to carry on the process.”

“This project is imperative for us to continue to grow and expand our training and community facility - the VALO Community Centre - for our AFL, AFLW and netball teams and work towards developing a dedicated AFLW stadium right here at Sydney Olympic Park,” Mr Matthews said.

Apologies for being off topic, does anyone have anymore information on this project? Sounds like a potential AFLW stadium in Olympic Park is in the works for sometime in the future.

I'd imagine it'd be more of an oval rather than stadium though would be good to see if there were any timeframes for any AFLW games being played in SOP in the next few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for being off topic, does anyone have anymore information on this project? Sounds like a potential AFLW stadium in Olympic Park is in the works for sometime in the future.

I'd imagine it'd be more of an oval rather than stadium though would be good to see if there were any timeframes for any AFLW games being played in SOP in the next few seasons.

The NSW Government has made a $15 million commitment towards securing the future of community and women’s football in NSW.

Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney Stuart Ayres announced a $15 million investment to upgrade the existing GIANTS’ training and community centre.

The funding will see an upgrade of Tom Wills Oval, the GIANTS’ training ground, with a view to establishing a dedicated AFLW match venue for Sydney, while also providing a vitally important second-tier facility that will enhance pathways for young male and female athletes.

The upgrade includes the installation of lighting facilities that will ensure the GIANTS’ AFLW program can meet the high performance and training requirements standard to an AFLW team.

Basically the plan is to upgrade Tom Wills to host AFLW games.

our AFLW home crowds this year (from the AusStadiums website):
- Manuka average crowd of 1,919
(Rd 2 vs Melbourne- 2,028; Rd 4 vs Adelaide- 1809)
- Blacktown average crowd of 989
(Rd 3 vs Richmond- 1,051; Rd 6 vs West Coast- 927)
- Henson Park 1,574 (Rd 8 vs Carlton)

Last round of a disappointing season. Can we finish with a win?

AFLW ROUND 10

Power v GIANTS
Saturday, November 4 at 2:35pm CDT/3:05pm EDT
Alberton Oval | Kaurna Country

MILESTONE

Rebecca Beeson will play her 50th AFLW game this Saturday when the GIANTS take on the Power at Alberton Oval. The 27-year-old will become the fifth GIANT to play 50 games for the club after being drafted to the GIANTS in the 2016 inaugural AFLW draft. The local product received a Rising Star nomination in the opening round of the 2018 season and was also crowned the club's Gabrielle Trainor Medal in 2019.

PRIDE ROUND

The 2023 NAB AFLW season closes out this weekend with Pride Round, a celebration of the LGBTQIA+ community and its contribution to women's football. Each team will wear specially designed Pride Round jumpers that tell a story and commemorate each club's unique relationship with the queer community.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In: -
G.Garnett, M.Brazendale
Out: - H.Zreika (Personal Reason), I.McLeay (Omitted)

Milestone: Rebecca Beeson (50 games), Jasmine Grierson (50 games)

PA-W v GWS-W.png

The way the club has let the Zreika situation continue year after year is ridiculous. My simple take is she is either all in or all out.
The club ends up in a really sticky spot each time. She plays a big part in demographics that we hope to get in.

The club ends up in a really sticky spot each time. She plays a big part in demographics that we hope to get in.
If they see Zreika as part of there future plans then the middle ground might be to no longer have an LGBT+ jersey but rather optional headgear/headband etc. Because you can't keep having a situation where a player keeps sitting out a game. While this week's game doesn't matter there will be a time when it could be the difference between making finals or missing out.

Congrats to Jas Grierson - a journeywoman, but it makes her achievement of the 50 game milestone even more worthy.

Each time any GIANT pulls on the orange and charcoal, they’re doing so with an intent to inspire the next generation of both AFL and AFLW players.

For Jasmine Grierson, her inspiration is driven by her 10-month-old niece Billie. The GIANTS defender said being a role model for her niece is one of her proudest moments in her career to date.

Grierson was taken in the inaugural draft at pick 136 by the Melbourne Demons. She played two seasons with the Demons before moving to the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos, where she spent the next three seasons. Grierson moved to the GIANTS ahead of the 2022 season, having played 32 games in Victoria’s footy heartland.

“In Melbourne you’re in a bit of a footy bubble but I love everything that Sydney has to offer,” said the regular eastern suburbs beachgoer. “From the footy side of things, I think the biggest difference is the exposure of AFL in NSW, it’s obviously a super competitive market but there is such an emphasis here to educate and grow the game. There is such a hunger to learn and develop at the GIANTS which is inspiring.”

The former Victorian reflects on the move with an abundance of gratitude and appreciation for the girls around her. As she brings up her first major milestone this Saturday, it’s been a refreshing and timely reminder for the 25-year-old. “It has been a good reminder of how far I've since being a fresh 18-year-old in year one,” Grierson said. “It’s been a journey and I'm so grateful for all three clubs and everyone that has played a part in it all. I’m excited to grow with this team and see where it takes us.”

Grierson will celebrate her 50th AFLW game alongside Rebecca Beeson this weekend and is one of six current GIANTS players to have recorded the 50-game feat.

JG 50.png

more in the story

Just 12 months ago Rebecca Beeson didn’t know if she would ever play a game of football again.

On Saturday, she will run out alongside some of her best friends and teammates, celebrating her 50th game in the AFLW competition. The 2019 Gabrielle Trainor Medallist had been a mainstay in the GIANTS’ line up since day one but concussion complications over the past 12 months not only had her sidelined but had her questioning her future in the game.

As she plays all bar one game for season 2023, the 50-game milestone is reached with an extra sentiment for appreciation. “Yeah there was a time where my future in the game was a bit clouded,” she admitted. “I wasn’t sure if I would ever play again, let alone make it to 50 games. It’s been a pretty long rehab process to come back, so to be playing and to reach 50 games is a big milestone for me personally.”

Drafted from the NSW pathway, the former UNSW-ES Bulldog started her journey in the inaugural season, one of just two foundation GIANTS remaining. “I can’t believe it's been eight seasons,” Beeson said. “A lot's happened in those eight seasons, both on and off the field for me and also the team. I can remember season one like it was not that long ago. I was 19 when I was drafted, and I've essentially grown up here and grown up with a lot of these girls. It’s been a great journey to date and yeah the club just feels like another family for me.”

As she reflected on her past eight seasons and past 49 games to date, she acknowledged not only her achievements and milestones on field, but those off the field – all of which we know complements an athlete in today’s society. Beeson will celebrate the 50-game milestone alongside teammate Jasmine Grierson when the GIANTS take on the Power on Saturday.

The milestone for Beeson will also recognise 50 club games, joining four others on the honour board in Cora Staunton, Nicola Barr, Alicia Eva and Pepa Randall.

RB 50.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back