AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointing evening, not only with the result but of course with the Bennetts injury, fingers crossed but it didn’t look good.

We could use an injury-filled pre-season as an excuse but I’d bet my house that Burkey won’t be as the majority of errors we’re self inflicted with basic skill errors and general panicking as soon as any pressure was applied.

The first half was probably the worst half we’ve played in years with some numbers that the coaching panel would just be shacking their head at, especially with the fact that clearances and inside 50s were even in that half…

Kicking Efficiency - First Half
WB: 38%
GE: 65%

Handball Efficiency - First Half
WB: 68%
GE: 83%

Tackles - First Half
WB: 38
GE: 43

Broken Tackles - First Half
WB: 0
GE: 5

F50 Kicking Efficiency - First Half
WB: 8%
GE: 60%

The third quarter was better with our transition work picking up and a couple of very nice goals from Hartwig but again we fell into Geelong’s pressure trap in the last quarter with them racking up 15 inside 50s and 8 shots at goal to our 3 inside 50s and 0 shots.

Edmonds was outstanding as was Pritchard while Hartwig and Grant were very good as well and I thought Carruthers on debut did some very nice things.

But in the end, it was our first goalless opening half since 2020, we let Geelong rack up the 4th most disposals on record and the 3rd best disposal efficiency on record along with our 3rd worst ever inside 50 efficiency rating just made for a very disappointing evening and overall start to the season.

It seems that the issue of relying too heavily on Blackburn and Lamb is still present and we really do need our next tier of midfielders to step up, especially with Lamb only just recently coming back from injury and having next to no preseason.

This team has a lot of grit about it, reckon they will bounce back next week. Shocking luck for Bennentts in her 50th game, hoping for the best. We won't be flag material, but looking forward to see how some of the younger players develop. Brown out was a big loss, improved s**t loads last season.

Sorry to intrude everyone.
I'll be heading up to Mars this weekend. What is parking like? Ample?

Are there cafes nearby?
Plenty of street parking and the North Ballarat Social Club will open to get a feed or a coffee

Sorry to intrude everyone.
I'll be heading up to Mars this weekend. What is parking like? Ample?

Are there cafes nearby?

What MYOB said. Also Mars is not far from Ballarat CBD and extensive cafe selection, but not easy walking distance, sounds like you'll have your car anyway. Ballarat CBD to Mars is barely a 5 min drive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand these free kicks

That last one that led to a Hawthorn goal was a mystery. But maybe the ball shouldn't have been down there. McFarlane stopped in the centre to plead with the umpire whilst the ball was still in play. Just about the worst thing you can do. Hopefully she will learn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back