AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For those like me who can't stand all the hoop-la, here's what's happened so far:

Round one​

1. Western Bulldogs - Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Western Jets)
2. West Coast - Jessica Rentsch (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
3. Greater Western Sydney - Kaitlyn Srhoj (Peel Thunder)
4. Western Bulldogs - Brooke Barwick (Glenorchy)
5. Melbourne - Alyssia Pisano (Eastern Ranges)
6. Western Bulldogs - Elaine Grigg (Central Districts)
7. Carlton - Lila Keck (Bendigo Pioneers)
8. Collingwood - Georgia Clark (Glenorchy)
9. Collingwood - Lucille Cronin (Oakleigh Chargers)
10. St Kilda - Kiera Whiley (Hillside)
11. Western Bulldogs - Cleo Buttifant (Turvey Park FNC)
12. Melbourne - Ryleigh Wotherspoon (Sherwood Districts AFC)
13. Richmond - Isabel Bacon (Sandringham Dragons)
14. West Coast - Kayley Kavanagh (Calder Cannons)
15. Brisbane - Evie Long (Sandgate AFC), matching Sydney's bid

Last edited:
Rattling along to pick 8 done already. If they're not careful they'll get through the entire draft tonight.

They can’t really think they’re holding a huge audience captivated and milk it.

I've just watched the highlights of our top four draftees. If the highlights are anything to go by, there may be some exciting times ahead. We've obviously identified that a lack pace is a weakness so we've clearly addressed that. All four players can run. Grigg looks to be an excitement machine with plenty of energy.

If Barwick can bounce back strongly from her ACL injury, she's going to be the pick of the bunch.

I've just watched the highlights of our top four draftees. If the highlights are anything to go by, there may be some exciting times ahead. We've obviously identified that a lack pace is a weakness so we've clearly addressed that. All four players can run. Grigg looks to be an excitement machine with plenty of energy.

If Barwick can bounce back strongly from her ACL injury, she's going to be the pick of the bunch.
If they don't all leave in two years.

Very happy with our draft. Of course we landed the top prospect at Pick 1. Then got Blackburn some help with Barwick. Natually concerned about her past ACL, but if she avoids any future issues, we have a good ball user. Slight reach at pick 6 for Grigg, who I feel would have been available at 11. But the club clearly rated her. And her off the ball work is elite. And of course I said earlier I reckon we will use one of the picks on the back line, and we did at pick 11.

Got a tall forward, a midfielder, a small forward/mid who is a tackling machine, and a tall defender with rebound ability. Clearly speed, tackling and ball use has been a focus for us in this draft.

One more pick to go.

And there goes Borg, the mature ruck we were worried we'd reach for at pick 11 haha. Slid all the way to our pick 48, so a great result for us.

A mature aged ruckman at 25, 181cm tall, comes from our VFLW side.

Pretty good haul overall I reckon.
Now to make sure we develop them right to get the best out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone give a brief rundown of our new recruits, position, any other info.
Kevin Sheehan's comments:

Brooke Barwick​

State: Tasmania
State League Club: Tasmania Devils
Community Club: Glenorchy/Claremont
Date of Birth 27/07/05
Height: 157cm
Nominated Draft State: National (all states)

An explosive small midfielder who missed the entire 2023 season whilst recovering from knee surgery but is on the road to a full recovery for 2024. Has shown the ability to break the lines with her pace and evasiveness. Is a neat user of the ball by hand and foot which saw her win All Australian honours as a bottom-age player while representing the Allies at the 2022 National Championships. She averaged 15 disposals in three matches at last year’s Championships and also starred for the Tasmania Devils, averaging 16 disposals and six tackles in nine matches during the 2022 season. Was selected in this year’s AFL National Academy.

Cleo Buttifant​

State: NSW/ACT
State League Club: GWS Giants Academy
Community Club: Ainslie/Turvey Park
Date of Birth: 03/05/05
Height: 174cm

A dual sport athlete who has also represented the Australian Emus in international touch football. Showed distinct AFLW potential playing for both the GWS Giants Academy and the Allies this year. Has dazzling pace and displayed a preparedness to take the game on with her run from defence. Averaged 17 disposals in her two games for the Giants in the Coates Talent League and was one of the Allies’ most consistent players at the National Championships averaging 14 disposals and three tackles. Was named among her side’s best against Victoria Metro and Western Australia. Produced a 56cm effort in the standing vertical jump at the Draft Combine which placed her inside the top-ten nationally.

Elaine Grigg​

State: South Australia
State League Club: Central District
Community Club: Broadview
Date of Birth: 23/12/05
Height: 161cm

A creative forward and midfielder who is quick and elusive as well as strong in the contest. Had an outstanding year winning All Australian honours at the National Championships after averaging 18 disposals and six tackles for the title-winning South Australia team. Also played in a senior premiership with Central District after playing 14 games at that level. The Keynan-born star was also prominent across the AFL’s Multicultural programs in recent years. Recorded a top-ten finish in the agility test at the Draft Combine with a time of 8.58 seconds.

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner​

State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Western Jets
Community Club: Sunshine Heights
Date of Birth: 01/07/05
Height: 178cm

Athletically talented forward and midfielder with blistering pace and an exciting natural leap. Returned from wrist and leg injuries to star in her one match for Victoria Metro at this year's National Championships, accumulating 17 disposals and kicking 1.4 against Victoria Country in a performance that reminded scouts of her potential. Confirmed her athletic ability at the Draft Combine with top 10 finishes in the running vertical leap (70cm) and 20m sprint (3.21 seconds).

An excellent draft haul in my opinion, obviously got the best talent available with Weston-Turner but also addressed what we lost and more importantly what we lacked in 2023 which was speed, with our first 3 picks all extremely athletic and also height with 5 of the players we brought in over the off-season/draft bein over 175cm.

Now the attention needs to turn to changes in the football department, hopefully it's not too long into 2024 before we get some answers.

So as of tonight here is our list going into 2024 with new players highlighted...

WB2024ALPH.png
*We'll need to make a further list change in either a delisting or moving a player to the inactive list.

Last edited:
Pick 1: Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, 178cm, Western Jets, forward, best traits: athleticism and upside

Pick 4: Brooke Barwick, 157cm, Tasmania Devils, midfielder, best traits: contested work and evasion

Pick 6: Elaine Grigg, 165cm, Central Districts, utility, best traits: tackling like an absolute madwoman

Pick 11: Cleo Buttifant, 174cm, GWS Academy, defender, best traits: tackling and upside

Pick 48: Jorja Borg, 181cm, Dogs VFLW, ruck, best traits: ruck craft and size

*We'll need to make a further list change in either a delisting or moving a player to the inactive list.

Looking at the latest list, and if I had to take a stab at who may be the last to be deslisted, maybe Liz Snell, but I hope not.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back