AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I find these videos for the women so fun and enjoyable, you can actually get a bit of a feel for their individual personalities, in contrast with how dry/robotic most of the men come across even on draft night.

Even if we’re just as bad next season, at least we’ve got a group of younger players that we can enjoy and measure their progress in ways other than wins.

I find these videos for the women so fun and enjoyable, you can actually get a bit of a feel for their individual personalities, in contrast with how dry/robotic most of the men come across even on draft night.

Even if we’re just as bad next season, at least we’ve got a group of younger players that we can enjoy and measure their progress in ways other than wins.
Surely we can't be as bad as this season.

Surely we can't be as bad as this season.

We've lost Lamb, Moody, Newton and Lynch, amongst others. Big shoes to fill for the draftees and traded players.

A lot riding on the coaching appointment, and how he/she can develop a game style that suits our fairly young squad. Hopefully El Brown is back on board too.

So after such a massive list turnover, does anyone want to venture a round 1 team? I'd just be guessing.
I'll have a crack - mind you I was away for most of last year so not really sure who has come on and I have no idea how ready any of the new kids will be 🤷‍♂️

B: Brown, Ferres

HB: Laloifi, Ahrens, Grant

C: Bennetts, Pritchard, Wilcox

HF: Fitzgerald, KLWT, Berry

F: Farq, Grigg

R: Edmonds, Blackburn, Gavalas

B: Georgostathis, Smith, Hartwig, Barwick, Buttifant

I'll have a crack - mind you I was away for most of last year so not really sure who has come on and I have no idea how ready any of the new kids will be 🤷‍♂️

B: Brown, Ferres

HB: Laloifi, Ahrens, Grant

C: Bennetts, Pritchard, Wilcox

HF: Fitzgerald, KLWT, Berry

F: Farq, Grigg

R: Edmonds, Blackburn, Gavalas

B: Georgostathis, Smith, Hartwig, Barwick, Buttifant
This is a very good crack particularly given the season doesn't start for 9 months.

Georgostathis finished second in the best and fairest so would be a certainty to be in the 18 in defence. I'd put Ferres on the bench as she had a rather ordinary 2023 and was even dropped for four matches.

The team needs a second ruck or chop out so I'd pick McFarlane (who at least kicked a few goals this year) or Borg ahead of Buttifant. The team already has a number of tall defenders and Buttifant only seriously took up the sport this year so I'm guessing she will probably be the least ready of the high picks.

It would be good if the club was more transparent about who they're looking at / interviewing to replace Burke as coach.
I am guessing they are looking for the best person for the role, casting a very wide search to get the right person and doing a very thorough selection process. Also if there are any stones involved they won’t be leaving them unturned. Just my guess and don’t know what makes me think they would say that.

I am guessing they are looking for the best person for the role, casting a very wide search to get the right person and doing a very thorough selection process. Also if there are any stones involved they won’t be leaving them unturned. Just my guess and don’t know what makes me think they would say that.
I have no doubt... But I don't see the harm in being transparent and letting supporters know which candidates have been interviewed / canvassed.

I have no doubt... But I don't see the harm in being transparent and letting supporters know which candidates have been interviewed / canvassed.
I don't think clubs routinely do that, at least not officially. Sometimes that would be to keep their options open. However usually there's a leak about who is being interviewed or is on the short list. Whether that's an "official" leak (wink wink) I don't know.

Sadly I think the problem here is that the media don't much care about who we get as our AFLW coach so there's been no sifting through rubbish bins or harrassing officials on the phone to get some hints. They may not see it as being very clickworthy. There wasn't even much media fuss over Burke departing. Maybe they all thought that was a given?

If it was our men's coaching position that was vacant they'd be all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think clubs routinely do that, at least not officially. Sometimes that would be to keep their options open. However usually there's a leak about who is being interviewed or is on the short list. Whether that's an "official" leak (wink wink) I don't know.

Sadly I think the problem here is that the media don't much care about who we get as our AFLW coach so there's been no sifting through rubbish bins or harrassing officials on the phone to get some hints. They may not see it as being very clickworthy. There wasn't even much media fuss over Burke departing. Maybe they all thought that was a given?

If it was our men's coaching position that was vacant they'd be all over it.
100%

I'm not naive to the fact the women's comp gets undervalued & a lack of media attention. It's rare that you even find out if there have been any late changes. No team Tweets about their final team, nor have I been able to find this information published.

Yep, I am in the minority who cares about that stuff, and that's why you don't see this info published.

Early in the year, Kiara Bowers was a late out. Very handy player, probably Freo's best. You didn't find out she was a late out until three minutes before the opening bounce.

I think we did all what we could bar grab Morphett from the Swans.

Just got to dig deep during this next season or so and hope we can keep our players around together.

So the story basically suggests NB was sacked because he was not meeting the standards expected?

I didn't read that into it, but think he's more of a development/assistant coach than a senior one.
Seems part of the playing group were become disillusioned with him, I sort of understand Lamb's departure, not sure why Newton left. She was in a position to become a key player under a new coach, likely contending for captaincy post-Ellie.

hide GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back