AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There's big dramas from what im hearing with the AFLW side being a shambles and our number 1 pick already wanting out its that bad
Spot on Smiley! She never wanted to go to the dogs in the first place because of the shambles of the admin/coaching.
She wanted to go to the Swans and they told her they will get her as soon as possible!!!
I was told by a player that things have bad since before Covid. Bad coaches and bad administrators!

Interesting that a player that has never set foot inside our club rooms, knows so much about how things are ran there as if she has experienced it directly, before she was even drafted. :think::rolleyes:

If we get Groves AND Laidley, AND bring Burke back - would that keep all players happy? They can choose to be coached by their preferred coach off field, then all act like happy campers onfield. Doesn't sound like it would be worse than the current (alleged) circus... ☹

I don't doubt her footy brain etc. but it seems like a gamble to appoint someone to a head role that hasn't coached in a while.

Groves has been involved in the school footy leagues and is a St. Bedes graduate. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Not overly impressive in the years she was there from what I know. Was also some issues when the club gave her the boot and she took them to court for unpaid salary, this is even after all the dramas had been released in the media regarding her charges.

I don’t mind Dani Laidley, but i think theres too much baggage there. Wouldn’t be high on my list of potential coaches.

Last edited:
Spot on Smiley! She never wanted to go to the dogs in the first place because of the shambles of the admin/coaching.
She wanted to go to the Swans and they told her they will get her as soon as possible!!!
I was told by a player that things have bad since before Covid. Bad coaches and bad administrators!
A lifelong Bulldogs supporter who lives locally to the club would rather move to SYDNEY to play her football? Even before she has been drafted? And especially now that she has been drafted?

If this is true - and I’m not saying it isn’t, because I have no idea - then the club’s AFLW program has sunk to a new low, indeed, an abyss from which I can scarcely see a way out.

A lifelong Bulldogs supporter who lives locally to the club would rather move to SYDNEY to play her football? Even before she has been drafted? And especially now that she has been drafted?

If this is true - and I’m not saying it isn’t, because I have no idea - then the club’s AFLW program has sunk to a new low, indeed, an abyss from which I can scarcely see a way out.
Her partner lived in Sydney and was recently delisted by the Swans so there’s a connection there but interestingly he’s now signed with our VFL team.

how to fold GIF by Digg

I don't have an issue with Laidley getting our AFLW job, the previous senior coaching experience is obviously a bonus.

But are we capable enough as an organisation to support Laidley in the role, given the virtually guaranteed commentary that will come - about both on- and off-field history? And how do/would the playing group feel in that scenario? I'd imagine everyone will be supportive publicly, but given the alleged disunity that exists in the playing group and possibly dysfunctional AFLW program atm, is the appointment of a possibly controversial coach the right choice at this time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw some pics of players from other clubs doing fitness work, a lot of the new players have been present to meet the coach and do some running. I think its about time we appointed a new coach, already behind the 8 ball.

Last edited:
Club will settle on the head coach this week. Hearing they also have a shortlist sorted and some interviews already completed for head of footy role.

Not sure on names for either but the process for head coach is done. Maybe they will announce both positions together?

Club will settle on the head coach this week. Hearing they also have a shortlist sorted and some interviews already completed for head of footy role.

Not sure on names for either but the process for head coach is done. Maybe they will announce both positions together?

In regards to the coach, it's been down to two names since a fortnight ago, the final decision may have been delayed due to senior admin being up in QLD for the men's program camp.

The latest info I heard from a trusted source was about a month ago in which it was down to Groves and Laidley but it now seems based on the latest reports that Tamara Hyett was a late entrant and it's now down to her or Laidley.

In regards to the coach, it's been down to two names since a fortnight ago, the final decision may have been delayed due to senior admin being up in QLD for the men's program camp.

The latest info I heard from a trusted source was about a month ago in which it was down to Groves and Laidley but it now seems based on the latest reports that Tamara Hyett was a late entrant and it's now down to her or Laidley.
When the short list of interviewees has been narrowed down to two candidates neither of whom is particularly appealing it's not an uncommon tactic to delay announcing a decision ... and in the meantime quietly scout out another more suitable candidate. Possibly one who didn't want to go through the whole process originally but who can now be more or less promised the job if they apply.

I'm not saying that's what's happened here but you do have to wonder when there's a late bolter.

How can Groves not get the gig?

When the short list of interviewees has been narrowed down to two candidates neither of whom is particularly appealing it's not an uncommon tactic to delay announcing a decision ... and in the meantime quietly scout out another more suitable candidate. Possibly one who didn't want to go through the whole process originally but who can now be more or less promised the job if they apply.

I'm not saying that's what's happened here but you do have to wonder when there's a late bolter.

How can Groves not get the gig?

The way it sounded to me in mid-Jan was that Groves was the front-runner so I'm not sure what happened if it was his decision or we decided to go in another direction but whatever happened it happened quickly.

Groves would've been my choice for obvious reasons, but I think Laidley or Hyett would also be good choices.

The way it sounded to me in mid-Jan was that Groves was the front-runner so I'm not sure what happened if it was his decision or we decided to go in another direction but whatever happened it happened quickly.

Groves would've been my choice for obvious reasons, but I think Laidley or Hyett would also be good choices.
Is it possible Grove’s may be looked at for the head of female footy gig?

Is it possible Grove’s may be looked at for the head of female footy gig?

Possibly, you'd think if he was available we'd want him somewhere in the program given the past and as far I as believe the players that "allegedly" had issues with him have moved on.

The concerning element is that he was the front runner one day and then within 24 hours it was reported everywhere that he won't get the job.

I know many players requested an experienced coach after Burke was sacked so I just hope we are/were listening to their feedback, even if we do go down the Hyett route while she hasn't coached at AFLW level she does have years of experience in running a women's footy program with the Dragons along with being an assistant at Melbourne.

My concern with Laidley is she hasn't had a footy role since coaching the local leagues a few years ago.

I'd mount a case for a footy boss to be appointed before a senior coach as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back