AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to know the story behind this:

2023 Essendon VFLW co-captains Courtney Ugle and Mia Rae-Clifford, and former Carlton VFLW Best and Fairest Millie Klingbeil have also crossed.”
Dogs had a bit of cash to splash in the pre season

Last edited:

Marra has a Noongar background as well as Djab-Wurrun and Gunditjmara, he may be related to the Ugles in WA.
There are many Ugles in WA, I taught in the desert over there , had one in my class for a little while and everywhere I went there were always Ugles. Its a really common name, like Sampi and Cox, in WA. I took an interest in her story a little while ago and did some reading on her background. Can't find anything that says she is related to Jamarra, you'd think she probably mention it if she was. But I could be wrong, maybe someone who really knows can clear it up.

They're not related , Bulldogs. Courtney comes from Bunbury, WA. Has had a lot happen in her life for someone so young.

I wouldn’t rule it out I remember Arthur Jones saying he is related to JUH part of an article I read in his draft year.

YOUNG JAMARRA

Footy almost runs through Ugle-Hagan‘s veins.

Asked where his talent comes from, his father insisted: “That comes from his mother’s side.”

On his maternal side are the Ugles and the Kicketts, with his mum’s father having come from a family that produced a swag of leading footballers.

“We’ve got a big mob over there (in WA) with the Ugles and the Kicketts,” Alice said.

Last edited:
Marra has a Noongar background as well as Djab-Wurrun and Gunditjmara, he may be related to the Ugles in WA.
Courtney Ugle has Noongar background as well

I wouldn’t rule it out I remember Arthur Jones saying he is related to JUH part of an article I read in his draft year.

YOUNG JAMARRA

Footy almost runs through Ugle-Hagan‘s veins.

Asked where his talent comes from, his father insisted: “That comes from his mother’s side.”

On his maternal side are the Ugles and the Kicketts, with his mum’s father having come from a family that produced a swag of leading footballers.

“We’ve got a big mob over there (in WA) with the Ugles and the Kicketts,” Alice said.
When I was teaching in a remote community in WA, the kids were always pointing someone out saying"Thats my Aunty, that's my sister, that's my daughter. They weren't blood related, but indigenous people often include someone not blood related as part of their "extended family." Marra's mum saying " we've got a big mob over there," may mean that her descendants come from the same part of country as the Ugles and Picketts and they spoke the same Aboriginal language. What we need is a copy of Marras mums family tree, Bulldogs, to see which Ugles she is blood related to.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what the deal was with Paul Groves?
Yes, that was a bit strange, I thought he would have been welcomed back as a premiership coach for us.
Can't say it's a "job for mates" environment that has been a criticism of the men's dept previously.
It's not really that complicated. He left because he wasn't full time and balancing it with his professional life as a qualified teacher and school administrator was difficult.

There's no suggestion that he didn't want to continue as an AFLW coach (and likely would have still been a good coach) had it been a full-time job, just that when the full-time position was just up for grabs, he was "out of the system" that moves very quickly.

It's likely a similar reason that we didn't hire Laidley - not that these coaches are unqualified, but among qualified coaches it's entirely fine for the club to want to prioritise someone who was already in the AFLW (or related like Girls' NAB league or VFL or the elite AFL men's) system.

The Western Bulldogs have added Isadora McLeay and Jaime Henry to their VFLW squad on the eve of the 2024 season.

McLeay arrives as a defender after spending three seasons at the GWS Giants.

She missed 2022 through an ACL injury, but broke through for three senior matches last season.
McLeay is strong in the air and has great versatility, also possessing an ability to play forward if required.

Henry is an emerging defensive midfielder from the Swan Districts who was overlooked in the most recent draft.

Having started her career as a defender in 2021, she quickly turned into a flourishing midfielder to average 16.8 disposals, three marks and 3.6 tackles from her nine games last WAFL Women’s season.

The duo bring the total list to 35 players, just a day out from the Bulldogs’ opening round match against North Melbourne at Mission Whitten Oval.

The Club also announced its new-look leadership group earlier this week, with reigning joint best and fairest winner Dom Carbone announced as captain.

Nine players will make their red, white and blue VFLW debuts this weekend when the Bulldogs host North Melbourne at Mission Whitten Oval.

Courtney Ugle, Renee Saulitis, Imogen Milford and Cassidy Mailer have all been named to play in the round one clash, along with Tamsin Crook, Jorja Livingstone and Jaime Henry.

Newly-named captain Dom Carbone will start in the middle, alongside new Bulldogs Millie Klingbeil and Keeley Hardingham.
Leaders Sarah Skinner (centre) and Mali McLeod (interchange) will also feature in the side.The Bulldogs will also debut their new ASICS-produced guernseys tomorrow, featuring new front of guernsey sponsor Victoria University.

The first bounce will be tomorrow, Saturday 23 March at 12.05pm AEDT. Admission is free.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vflw for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

Please note: entry to Mission Whitten Oval will be via Gate 1 (Cross St) only. Dogs are not allowed into the venue on match-days.

VFLW Team | Round 1

Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne
Saturday 23 March, 12.05pm AEDT
Mission Whitten Oval (Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung)

B: R Beuzeville (50), T Crook (30)
HB: S Asciak (28), C Pickett (59), C Mailer (60)
C: J Livingstone (44), S Skinner (62), C Ugle (29)
HF: T Pulcino (36), L Ashcroft (65), R Saulitis (56)
F: J Tabb (63), I Milford (64)
R: K Hardingham (66), D Carbone (54), M Klingbeil (53)
Int: E Bishop (35), J Henry (68), M McLeod (31), A Snow (57), F Taylor (48)
Emg: E Cornish (55), I McLeay (TBC), T Skenderis (34), M Clifford (47)

The Western Bulldogs have made three changes to their VFLW team, ahead of Saturday’s round two double-header against Casey.

Eleanor Cornish, Isadora McLeay and Trinity Skenderis come into the side, replacing Caitlin Pickett, London Ashcroft and Freya Taylor.

The trio have been named to start in the backline, centre and wing respectively.
Dom Carbone will again lead from the middle, supported by fellow leaders Courtney Ugle (full-back), Sarah Skinner (interchange) and Mali McLeod (half-forward).

The Bulldogs will be looking to bounce back from a 22-point defeat to the Kangaroos in the opening round.

The first bounce will be tomorrow, Saturday 30 March at Casey Fields from 11.05am AEDT.

VFLW Team | Round 2

Casey v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 30 March, 11.05am AEDT
Casey Fields, Cranbourne (Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung)

B: E Cornish (55), C Ugle (29)
HB: S Asciak (28), T Crook (30), A Snow (57)
C: J Livingstone (44), D Carbone (54), T Skenderis (34)
HF: I McLeay (73), M McLeod (31), R Saulitis (56)
R: K Hardingham (66), E Bishop (35), M Klingbeil (53)
Int: R Beuzeville (50), C Mailer (60), S Skinner (62), T Pulcino (36), J Henry (68)
Emg: M Cowan (67), F Taylor (48), C Leonard (38)

In: Eleanor Cornish, Isadora McLeay Trinity Skenderis
Out: Caitlin Pickett, London Ashcroft, Freya Taylor

VFLW youngster Jaime Henry has been named in the Under-23 All Stars team to take on the AFLW Academy this Saturday morning at IKON Park.

The match will kick off at 11am and will be played as a double-header with the VFLW clash between Carlton and Greater Western Sydney. Entry to the game is free and will be livestreamed on AFL.com.au/aflw.

Made up of the top 18-year-old talent across the country, the AFLW Academy showcases players eligible for the 2024 draft, while the Under-23 All Stars side is comprised of select talent playing in Victoria, the Northern Territory and Tasmania, as nominated by AFLW clubs.
Henry, an emerging defensive midfielder originally from the Swan Districts, joined the Kennel this year after being overlooked in the most recent draft.

Having started her career as a defender in 2021, she quickly turned into a flourishing midfielder to average 16.8 disposals, three marks and 3.6 tackles from her nine games last WAFL Women’s season.

The teams for both sides can be viewed here.

The Western Bulldogs have made one change to their VFLW team ahead of Saturday’s round three clash against Sydney.

Chloe Leonard comes into the side for Jaime Henry, who will miss after being selected in the Under-23 All Stars team.

Leonard will start on the bench, alongside Roxy Beuzeville, Cassidy Mailer, Sarah Skinner and Tallia Pulcino.
The Bulldogs will be looking to record back-to-back wins, following a 21-point victory over Casey last weekend.

The first bounce will be tomorrow, Saturday 6 April at Mission Whitten Oval from 1pm AEDT.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vflw for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

VFLW Team | Round 3

Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans
Saturday 6 April, 1pm AEDT
Mission Whitten Oval (Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung)

B: E Cornish (55), C Ugle (29)
HB: S Asciak (28), T Crook (30), A Snow (57)
C: J Livingstone (44), D Carbone (54), T Skenderis (34)
HF: I McLeay (73), M McLeod (31), R Saulitis (56)
R: K Hardingham (66), E Bishop (35), M Klingbeil (53)
Int: R Beuzeville (50), C Mailer (60), S Skinner (62), T Pulcino (36), C Leonard (38)
Emg: M Cowan (67), F Taylor (48), E Ramsay (46), M Clifford (47)

In: C Leonard
Out: J Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back