AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

This game would be a great format for end of season tournaments where amateurs can field sides with higher grades and compete for prize money if the AFL want this to take off. It doesn't require AFL quality players. No doubt this game needs tinkering, let them tinker this version and leave the real game alone.
What would they have spent on AFLX, 10-15 mill after marketing, travel, grounds and everything else?
Meanwhile in Tassie, teams are dying because AFL clubs are sponging up the dollar.

Reckon tonight showed us a couple of things heading forward (even if we already knew them:
- Willow an absolute certainty to have first crack at Docs spot
- Dow will play round one, and could be every bit as good as SPS last year
- Fisher could improve beyond our wildest dreams this year
- We don't need O'Shea and he won't play senior footy
- Kennedy could comfortably become a 20 touch, five tackle, goal a game player this year
If Dow manages to play as many games as SPS last year, I think he will have a better year than Sammo.

Is it really a poor attempt though?
Given the start point for the game is a rectangular field (soccer/rugby), what would it take to constitute a good attempt?

The game will be refined as it goes along (if it goes along) and may well find its own audience along the the way.
I would have said it to have been a good attempt, albeit a possible futile one. No harm done along the way though.

Marketing and developing pathways? Yes, a really poor attempt. Why change the fundamentals of our game, thinking it will have greater appeal to an international audience, it is not cricket. Spending millions, while cutting funding to the heartland areas of junior football.

Despite not being a fan of US propaganda, we should model marketing and pathways similar to the NFL. A game that started from a similar beginning and one that mirrors the uniqueness of a single nation.

The pathways, is what I am interested in. Has finally started with the AFLW, now needs to dig deeper to our current communities, so our youth have and education linked to potential sporting programs and scholarship programs. rather than reducing funding. We already have interest from other nationals playing our game similar to the NFL, but the majority of the growth comes from within.

A single example only, why not introduce an under 19's competition, linked to each club, would work in well with the current draft criteria and would create a pathway for an extra 900 kids (male and female). May not sound like much, but would allow for greater involvement and participation.

Now that might, be a marketing plan that may just work

A single example only, why not introduce an under 19's competition, linked to each club, would work in well with the current draft criteria and would create a pathway for an extra 900 kids (male and female). May not sound like much, but would allow for greater involvement and participation.

Now that might, be a marketing plan that may just work

The SANFL and WAFL dont want it, in fact draft rules require any player drafted from WA to have first been playing for a WAFL club - and its under 18s.
The Vics wont go for it, TAC Cup has been a very happy hunting ground over the journey, and with its costs borne by the AFL, the AFL Clubs get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I keep reading that Fisher is quick, but he’s about average for AFL standard (Though quick off the mark obviously). I’m a big fan though, he just has such clean hands, quality decision maker and can find the ball. Forward pocket last year, I hope he gets more midfield minutes this year.
Quick mind quick hands make you look very quick. He's a midfielder for sure. The mix we are gathering in our midfield is going to be exciting over the next five years or more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle down. When Fisher starts smashing packs like Dominator did or kick 7 goals in a game I will believe.
Until then nothing like him except a left foot kick.

I am struggling to think of any one single past Carlton player Fisher reminds me of. He seems quite unique. Really like watching his nimbleness. Maybe a cross between Mark Naley, Fraser Murphy and David Glascott type. Cannot wait to see him get more midfield time.
Alex Marcou maybe ?

The SANFL and WAFL dont want it, in fact draft rules require any player drafted from WA to have first been playing for a WAFL club - and its under 18s.
The Vics wont go for it, TAC Cup has been a very happy hunting ground over the journey, and with its costs borne by the AFL, the AFL Clubs get the best of both worlds.

As i mentioned, it is only one example, it would not diminish or improve the current junior structure, could just add to it, allowing for more opportunities

The AFL were pretty happy with their first-up results and I can understand why and that has nothing to do whether you or I liked the game.

Just remember what the start point was;

1. A game to be played on rectangular ground that can be played anywhere just about anywhere.
2. A fast-running, quick-moving game.
3. A shorter version of the game we know and love......Yes, yes, we've all got A.D.D. but that makes for another discussion.
4. A game we may have the chance of selling to wider audiences, as our current game just doesn't cut it. We've tried and failed.

Whether we agree with the objectives or not, I feel the objectives were largely met.
No doubt there will be lots of tinkering to bring in other elements of our game that were missing in this first week, but this format has a chance.
Call it something else if you wish, but there are elements in this format that have the chance to appeal, to audiences currently not interested in our game.

In essence you're saying that the AFL with all their resources are flat out wrong and that you're just flat out right. That's possible, I guess.
Again, I can see the possibilities here and that has nothing to do whether i like it or not. Time will tell, whether the AFL are in for the long haul, because if not, then it has been largely a waste of just a little bit of time. No harm done.

Personally, has nothing to do with whether i like the concept or not, IMHO, it is just a poor marketing tool when the funds could have been better used for the long haul.

And Gil suggesting it is in the same style as a BBL franchise? Please !

It's here to stay! It will be tinkered with but I quite liked it.It was great exposure for the kids and I can see families and young kids loving it in time to come:thumbsu:

Agree.

Controversial call here, but I'll make it anyway: people potting AFLX need to remember that this isn't being played for stakes, and let's be honest - it's very hard to get behind any sport if there's no real sense of competition.

Just imagine if this became a legitimate pre season comp ala NAB Cup with a nice little nest egg for the winner. Clubs would take the AFLX a fair bit more serious if the AFL put up a $1 million prize for the winner. Reckon fans would flock to watch it if it became a big bash style setup as well.

Deserves more investment from the AFL and clubs and some strategic direction heading forward. Could become a really enjoyable format of footy.

Alex Marcou maybe ?
I thought maybe Ashman who, like Fisher, had a low centre of gravity, was quick without being express & could find space in heavy traffic.
As i mentioned, it is only one example, it would not diminish or improve the current junior structure, could just add to it, allowing for more opportunities
In its latter years, the VFL Under 19 competition proved to be a fairly poor source of talent for the senior clubs.

If you look through some of the team lists for Under 19 GF teams in the late '70s & through the '80s, you will generally be lucky to find a handful of players who want on to have long term careers at senior level. Our own Under 19 GF teams of the late '70s only produced Glascott, Kourkoumelis & Mark Buckley & of course only Glascott went on to be a regular (& champion) best 20 player in the seniors & some of our kids e.g. Harmes, Buckley & Sheldon totally bypassed the Under 19 competition.

Clubs of course had a number of recruitment sources alongside the Under 19 competition including suburban & country zones & of course carte blanche on interstate talent. Basically the draft has rolled all these sources into one, with the TAC Cup being the prime source of draftees. What the TAC Cup ensures is that players are not being elevated to AFL senior level before their bodies are ready. Give clubs an Under 19 team of their own & it wouldn't be long before they would be looking to bend the rules & elevate junior players to senior level (imagine having Paddy Dow showing some impressive signs as a 17 year old & his AFL club wanting to elevate him into the senior team due to injuries to senior players or loss of form, before long it will have rolled back into the old Under 19 competition).

The TAC Cup has gone forward in leaps & bounds since its inception in the '90s & the teams really seem to be doing most things well. The SANFL & WAFL also seem to be making progress at Under 18 level & talent identification in NSW & Qld is also much superior to what it was in the past. Tassie is still a concern, but reports indicate there will be a couple of very good Tassie kids putting there hand up for this year's draft.

I thought maybe Ashman who, like Fisher, had a low centre of gravity, was quick without being express & could find space in heavy traffic.
He certainly found space in heavy traffic did Ashy. Ashy was probably more of a ball getter, Fisher so far does not have the knack to get lots of the ball but finding space when he gets it, he looks elite at. Like I said, I do not see one single player Fisher reminds me of. He reminds me of bits and pieces of other small players but the whole package looks unique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back