Aiden O’Driscoll - medically retiring without playing a game 14/05/24 </3

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope the club does something to acknowledge this at the next homegame in 2 weeks' time.

I'm not sure how exactly, but the poor kid has lost his career before it really even started and he deserves some sort of recognition for what he's gone through as a result of being on duty at the club (through no one's fault, of course).
I like this idea. As long as the kid himself doesn’t feel it’s too sentimental or patronising.

Maybe he could be part of the banner run-through so he can experience that feeling in front of a crowd at least once. And as doggiesin08 suggested he could be part of the coin toss.

It’s also an opportunity for the fans to show their appreciation.

It’s just so sad but is probably the right call. With good care and monitoring it might save him from more severe health issues later in life.

Touchy subject I know, but I can't help but feel that the AFL aren't doing themselves any favours re: on field incidents.

The grading system is completely unfit for purpose.
Any deliberate hit to the head should be an automatic suspension. None of this, "low impact", or "careless" rubbish which can be downgraded to a (relatively) pitiful fine.

Let players argue it was accidental, sure, but inconsequential? No f@ck1ng way.

Ps. My son was concussed a while back in a soccer game from getting a ball to the face from about 2m, so it's not necessary an AFL rules 'fault'. Things happen. But there needs to be a much more solid and focused approach from the league. (Don't get me started on the highly paid commentators, most of whom have seen first hand the results of concussions but still like to act tough... 🙄)
Totally agree.

Many may hate this idea - but I believe players also should be trained on how best to protect their head (not just the head of their opponent). It should be drilled into all stakeholders (especially commentators and fans) that players should prioritize protecting their heads over a marginal benefit to their team at a point in time.

I like this idea. As long as the kid himself doesn’t feel it’s too sentimental or patronising.

Maybe he could be part of the banner run-through so he can experience that feeling in front of a crowd at least once. And as doggiesin08 suggested he could be part of the coin toss.

It’s also an opportunity for the fans to show their appreciation.

It’s just so sad but is probably the right call. With good care and monitoring it might save him from more severe health issues later in life.
The only thing I fear is that it could be all to raw for him, almost like here is a taste of what has been ripped away from you.
If he wanted to do any of the above though it'd be a great touch. Hopefully the club keep an open door policy with him and actively keep him involved long term and set him up with extra support, not just what is required for medical retirements these days.

This is shattering news for the kid, gutted.

I don’t know much about these things but is there any chance a couple of years off could lead to a point where it’s “healed” to the point that it’s no longer too big a risk to play again? It would be hard to motivate yourself to put in the required work to get to that level again after a couple of years out of the game but if the desire is still there he’s only 18 in the grand scheme of things. You look at a guy like McCartin who was cleared to return after a while out of the game, not that that story had a happy ending but anyway

This is shattering news for the kid, gutted.

I don’t know much about these things but is there any chance a couple of years off could lead to a point where it’s “healed” to the point that it’s no longer too big a risk to play again? It would be hard to motivate yourself to put in the required work to get to that level again after a couple of years out of the game but if the desire is still there he’s only 18 in the grand scheme of things. You look at a guy like McCartin who was cleared to return after a while out of the game, not that that story had a happy ending but anyway
Without understanding of the exact reasons he was deemed not able to continue, this is impossible to know.

On a theoretical level completely detached from O'Driscoll, it is possible but exceedingly unlikely.

I’m guttered for a kid I don’t know or know anything about. I hope he heals quickly and gets back to the game he loves.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the reasoning behind the forced retirement? Is AOD experiencing ongoing headaches or memory loss from the concussion?

Edit: didn't read post #130 before posting, guess it makes sense :(

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back