All things horse racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone watch Ch78 Hong Kong racing?
I find Jenny Chapman amazing as the horses parade pre-race. Unbelievable knowledge.

I remember they used to have her here during the spring carnival, she was really good.

The only two other people with that type of knowledge I have met is Shelley Hancox and Gerald Ryan, both could look at a horse and almost tell you their sire or dam just on looks and they way they paraded. To me they just looked like another horse.:$

I find Jenny Chapman amazing as the horses parade pre-race. Unbelievable knowledge.

I remember they used to have her here during the spring carnival, she was really good.

The only two other people with that type of knowledge I have met is Shelley Hancox and Gerald Ryan, both could look at a horse and almost tell you their sire or dam just on looks and they way they paraded. To me they just looked like another horse.:$
Jenny is fantastic and a really great person too!

She's a former jockey and is married to David Price who is a form analyst and breeder and they both live over there in Hong Kong. They've done really well for themselves.

I'm not sure why she no longer gets a gig over here during the carnival. I guess everyone has Francesca fever or something?

totally agree., if we had commentators like Jenny the racing world would be much richer, instead they employ morons to try and pry money out of the punters.
FWIW i miss Steve Moran too, he and a few others like Dean Lester are very good, most of the others are garbage

Redding was a very good horse also. I was big on him after a great fast finishing third in the Vase the week before. Just had stayer written all him.

He had an injury plagued career after the Derby but from memory won another good race. Maybe the Turnbull the following year?
Yes did win the Turnbull Stakes (Group 2 then) in 1994 or 2 years after the Victoria Derby 1992.
Not to be pedantic but his fast finishing 3rd was the Bill Stutt Stakes (Group 2) not the Vase race.

Jenny is fantastic and a really great person too!

She's a former jockey and is married to David Price who is a form analyst and breeder and they both live over there in Hong Kong. They've done really well for themselves.

I'm not sure why she no longer gets a gig over here during the carnival. I guess everyone has Francesca fever or something?
Jenny chapman very knowledable agreed.
She had a good rapport when doing the spring carnival with Peter Donegan (under rated talented guy).
But she hasn't done the spring carnival for years.
Been in Hong Kong way before Francesca arrived on the scene.

Francesca Cumani is outstanding. Fantastic knowledge. She does some stuff for ESPN as well.
That she's also pretty (very natural pretty) is a benefit to the TV station I'm guessing.
But her absolute love of the horse comes out very much. Great insight.

For the guys, she's now married.

totally agree., if we had commentators like Jenny the racing world would be much richer, instead they employ morons to try and pry money out of the punters.
FWIW i miss Steve Moran too, he and a few others like Dean Lester are very good, most of the others are garbage
Deane Lester outstanding.
His knowledge is beyond the realm.
Historical or anything, as they call him.... memory man.
Genius.

I do my own form and Deane Lester is the only other person I really listen too just to see if I've missed something.

The general thing about racing commentators is they absolutely love the sport. So their bias isn't an agenda but the sport as a whole.

There are many that I call "guessers"
Eg: Matt Stewart (writes well, no idea about picking winners, no idea about much ;))
Keith Hillier, the king of guessers.
Tony Bourke, see him at the races, he loves it, but looks like he's always losing. Used to be known as the quaddie king. Or The King. Not sure he's a top tipster.

Jenny chapman very knowledable agreed.
She had a good rapport when doing the spring carnival with Peter Donegan (under rated talented guy).
But she hasn't done the spring carnival for years.
Been in Hong Kong way before Francesca arrived on the scene.

Francesca Cumani is outstanding. Fantastic knowledge. She does some stuff for ESPN as well.
That she's also pretty (very natural pretty) is a benefit to the TV station I'm guessing.
But her absolute love of the horse comes out very much. Great insight.

For the guys, she's now married.
I know she was gone way before Francesca.....just making a joke cause everyone loves Fran :thumbsu:

I know she was gone way before Francesca.....just making a joke cause everyone loves Fran :thumbsu:
And you're right
She's fantastic :)

Jenny is one of the worlds finest mounting-yard analysts, she and her husband (David) make a fortune selling young/untried horses to Hong Kong.

Terrific insight for the at home punter.

Deane Lester outstanding.
His knowledge is beyond the realm.
Historical or anything, as they call him.... memory man.
Genius.

I do my own form and Deane Lester is the only other person I really listen too just to see if I've missed something.

The general thing about racing commentators is they absolutely love the sport. So their bias isn't an agenda but the sport as a whole.

There are many that I call "guessers"
Eg: Matt Stewart (writes well, no idea about picking winners, no idea about much ;))
Keith Hillier, the king of guessers.
Tony Bourke, see him at the races, he loves it, but looks like he's always losing. Used to be known as the quaddie king. Or The King. Not sure he's a top tipster.
I dont mind Matt Stewart as a personality, wont listen to his tips. I have always found watching the races and not listening to any other opinions works for me. I see some of the commentators give excuses for horses and i think, no thats just incorrect, Even trainers either don't seem to have much idea or they just lead people astray.
Am a fan of Mick Price but can never forgive him for saying Samaready as a better horse than Lankan Rupee in the Newmarket a few years ago,. I was Lankan Rupee all the way until he said it, Changed my bet and cost myself a fortune. Then last year he said Excel Choice was better than Flying artie in the old Ascot Vale Stakes (forget the name now}. I didnt fall for it that time :D

I think everyone on sky channel is a moron except.... Richie Freedman! (yes i know the hate, but he knows his stuff and usually makes sense). the racing coverage on that is just disgraceful, its very "Sydney". Channel 78 could be much better, but its 1000 times better than Sky Channel, I hear Sydney is bringing in racing every day on one of the digital channels next year, Will be interesting to see the contrast.

I dont mind Matt Stewart as a personality, wont listen to his tips. I have always found watching the races and not listening to any other opinions works for me. I see some of the commentators give excuses for horses and i think, no thats just incorrect, Even trainers either don't seem to have much idea or they just lead people astray.
Am a fan of Mick Price but can never forgive him for saying Samaready as a better horse than Lankan Rupee in the Newmarket a few years ago,. I was Lankan Rupee all the way until he said it, Changed my bet and cost myself a fortune. Then last year he said Excel Choice was better than Flying artie in the old Ascot Vale Stakes (forget the name now}. I didnt fall for it that time :D

I think everyone on sky channel is a moron except.... Richie Freedman! (yes i know the hate, but he knows his stuff and usually makes sense). the racing coverage on that is just disgraceful, its very "Sydney". Channel 78 could be much better, but its 1000 times better than Sky Channel, I hear Sydney is bringing in racing every day on one of the digital channels next year, Will be interesting to see the contrast.
All good points.
Whilst Richard Freedman is a smart Alec, smug, annoying, up himself, he does know his sport. And really is very capable as a trainer.
Agree sky is so Sydney, drives you mad.

Your idea of not listening to commentators is very very smart. Got to do it yourself.
My only exception for me anyway, is I like listening to Deane Lester as he has so much insight and I just check gave a missed something. I don't necessarily change but I put his thoughts with a degree of respect.

Trainers? Steer well clear. I always remember trainers are really speaking to potential clients ie presenting views with an eye to listeners who may want a horse. If you think like that about them, can't go wrong. Or, just give their comments a grain of salt.

Certain trainers have patterns in the information.
Gai tales everything up, listen to her you'd think every runner is going to win. She is just a spruiker. I've had the pleasure of listening to her speak or do a night with her. She's so much fun. Takes over. Love her for that. Very different to her dad, who also was a spruiker but always he had a bit of a nasty streak. Not a graceful loser.
Back to Gai, be very wary, as everything is going to win.

David Hayes talks up his horses but is usually more circumspect.

The late great Bart Cummings when asked if he's horse was going to win, went with, "back it each way, if you like it."
When told his horse was going to win would say "let's hope you're a good judge."
Didn't really give much away.

Jack Denham, you got nothing! Not sure he even told himself :)

Then there was George Hanlon, he had great gobbledegook. Didn't realy tell you much.
My favourite was "I don't mind losing, I just hate getting beat."

John Hawkes, like Clarko, ums and ahhs a plenty.

Graeme Rogerson another spruiker, but he was also always trying to sell you something. And a lot of yeh, nah when he spoke.

All good points.
Whilst Richard Freedman is a smart Alec, smug, annoying, up himself, he does know his sport. And really is very capable as a trainer.
Agree sky is so Sydney, drives you mad.

Your idea of not listening to commentators is very very smart. Got to do it yourself.
My only exception for me anyway, is I like listening to Deane Lester as he has so much insight and I just check gave a missed something. I don't necessarily change but I put his thoughts with a degree of respect.

Trainers? Steer well clear. I always remember trainers are really speaking to potential clients ie presenting views with an eye to listeners who may want a horse. If you think like that about them, can't go wrong. Or, just give their comments a grain of salt.

Certain trainers have patterns in the information.
Gai tales everything up, listen to her you'd think every runner is going to win. She is just a spruiker. I've had the pleasure of listening to her speak or do a night with her. She's so much fun. Takes over. Love her for that. Very different to her dad, who also was a spruiker but always he had a bit of a nasty streak. Not a graceful loser.
Back to Gai, be very wary, as everything is going to win.

David Hayes talks up his horses but is usually more circumspect.

The late great Bart Cummings when asked if he's horse was going to win, went with, "back it each way, if you like it."
When told his horse was going to win would say "let's hope you're a good judge."
Didn't really give much away.

Jack Denham, you got nothing! Not sure he even told himself :)

Then there was George Hanlon, he had great gobbledegook. Didn't realy tell you much.
My favourite was "I don't mind losing, I just hate getting beat."

John Hawkes, like Clarko, ums and ahhs a plenty.

Graeme Rogerson another spruiker, but he was also always trying to sell you something. And a lot of yeh, nah when he spoke.
A mate of mine bought into a package of 4 horses in a small syndicate with Graham Rogerson about 20 years ago. All the horses won group races and one was a stallion and won a group 1, My mate was excited for the horse to go to stud and earn the benefits... paid the bills for years,,, one day he picked up the paper and saw his group 1 winner had been sold to stud 6 months before, In the meantime Rogerson had been telling him it was spelling for another prep! He was not happy!! and he never saw the sale money for the horse.

George Hanlon... what can i say. If the formline of his horses was 00000 it was a certainty next start. Lost count of the times i saw his horses pulling their heads off in staying races, then one day the commentators would say , theres a bit of money for Georges horse , 20s into 12s, and it would race tractibly and win. He was a master trainer, I am convinced he did something to their mouths so they wouldnt race properly when he didnt want them to win, Someone should write his biography.

A mate of mine bought into a package of 4 horses in a small syndicate with Graham Rogerson about 20 years ago. All the horses won group races and one was a stallion and won a group 1, My mate was excited for the horse to go to stud and earn the benefits... paid the bills for years,,, one day he picked up the paper and saw his group 1 winner had been sold to stud 6 months before, In the meantime Rogerson had been telling him it was spelling for another prep! He was not happy!! and he never saw the sale money for the horse.

George Hanlon... what can i say. If the formline of his horses was 00000 it was a certainty next start. Lost count of the times i saw his horses pulling their heads off in staying races, then one day the commentators would say , theres a bit of money for Georges horse , 20s into 12s, and it would race tractibly and win. He was a master trainer, I am convinced he did something to their mouths so they wouldnt race properly when he didnt want them to win, Someone should write his biography.
The old days....
Funny how certain stables when the money was on. Bang!
Robert Smerdons dad master at it.
Tom Hughes (senior) they were a great plunge stable.
Old Tommy and Bart were great mates. Used to hang around together when they were much younger.
Bart's Hyperno nailed Tommys Salamander by a nose, Melbourne Cup of 1979.
Bet Bart got over knocking out his mate in the big one in oh about a millisecond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your mate sounds like he should have taken legal action.
Dreadful way to be.

Group 1 Moir Stakes tonight.

Looking forward to it.

I wonder if Ability will go up the grade?

Nice field.

The old days....
Funny how certain stables when the money was on. Bang!
Robert Smerdons dad master at it.
Tom Hughes (senior) they were a great plunge stable.
Old Tommy and Bart were great mates. Used to hang around together when they were much younger.
Bart's Hyperno nailed Tommys Salamander by a nose, Melbourne Cup of 1979.
Bet Bart got over knocking out his mate in the big one in oh about a millisecond.

Salamander was my very 1st bet the year before i think the toorak ? I may be wrong.
Hand Brake Harry rode both horses Hyperno and Salamander that year? 1979 ?
And we lost that great horse Dulcify in that 1979 Melbourne Cup.

Salamander was my very 1st bet the year before i think the toorak ? I may be wrong.
Hand Brake Harry rode both horses Hyperno and Salamander that year? 1979 ?
And we lost that great horse Dulcify in that 1979 Melbourne Cup.
He (Salamander) sure did win the Toorak Hcp in 1978. Bang on.

Very nice horse.

You are right with 1979 losing the super horse Dulcify in the Melbourne Cup.
Wonderful horse. Hyperno might have been the one to gallop on him, which might have contributed to Dulcify finding hardship, all very sad.

So how do you study the form guide before having a bet?
Is it time charts or a little black book or maybe breeding or the trainer or jockey you favor.
I just try to follow the progression, I like them running well usually (ie thereabouts in the finish), a good memory, competitive and winning their grades as they go up, previous run or two, track form, some times and splits and most of all a lot of luck.

It might go the up the grade, but not tonight its not entered :p
I find the race impossible
the ones i like are drawn out wide, Malaguerra and Voodoo Lad
just a watch race for me
My bad.
Was scratched as 4th emergency. Should not have even entertained the musings.
I'm quite keen to see Ability in the higher grades. That's more an interest how it runs than ouright selecting it.

Group 1 Moir Stakes tonight.

Looking forward to it.

I wonder if Ability will go up the grade?

Nice field.
I had a nice all up on this meeting last year, last leg was Extreme Choice for the place, as you probably remember he won, ended up winning $600 but would've been much more if i had bigger balls and took him the win, but i was worried about Chatacua (or how ever you spell it).

Went into GF day on a high, won another $200 while collecting my all up winnings, then went on to back the first goal scorer (Parker) and the NS winner (JJ).

Was a golden weekend.

Didn't have a bet tonight, been at the Benalla cup all day, CBF.

Won the derby as a maiden iirc.
Yep one of only 3 wins, Victoria Derby, Turnbull and Autumn classic or whatever it was called had name Autumn in it I'm quite sure. And a nice horse overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back