All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

The Macedon ranges are kind of ok, we got to about 38, but the threat of bushfires makes you more nervous, and the animals really don't like it. People are always surprised when I tell them kangaroos are really not good at taking heat. Weird for an animal native to this land but anyway.

I was fortunate to go to Tel Aviv when I was in my wandering phase. The beaches are awesome, would love to be on one right now with a Goldstar.

Closest I have been for a while in spirit when I lived in Melbourne was Tavlin restaurant. Loooooove the food.

Shalom and have a great week.
Has it dried right out yet? It was unusually green when I was there at XMas.

You already know.
As do most here.
No need to adjust.

I didnt know actually. I had to do some research on the phrase. I dont really know too much about the people on here and their various causes.

Actually, I think it might be applicable in the coming months when the israelis really get serious....

The death of Dr Lowitja O'Donoghue was announced today. An Indigenous leader, a leader, victim of child removal, relentless advocate.

A beautiful spirit who managed to be angry without recrimination.

91 years old.
Aunty you were passionate and fearless. Like so many you never knew your real name, can’t remember your early days. Powerless and deprived as a child you proved them wrong. You fought for what was right. Inspirational. Let the spirits take you home to our ancestors. Rest easy Aunty.

* me, more ratbaggery, and more ratbaggery it never stops. Midsumma should be defended.

Second time you've posted the article with a meaningless commentary.

Is that because you didn't get a bite first time around?

A non-Unionist First Minister was sworn in for Northern Ireland the other day, the daughter of a former IRA prisoner.

A lot of difficult steps have been taken since the Good Friday Agreement in 1994, and Northern Ireland continues to be a place where the violence of the past isn't allowed to undermine the future.

A non-Unionist First Minister was sworn in for Northern Ireland the other day, the daughter of a former IRA prisoner.

A lot of difficult steps have been taken since the Good Friday Agreement in 1994, and Northern Ireland continues to be a place where the violence of the past isn't allowed to undermine the future.

Interestingly, I see parallels between this and the gays and the police. It's all well for previously opposing groups to do photo opportunities together, but if there isnt a change happening internally then the people living in the past will bust it all apart. I have a feeling that republicans and unionist have decided to fight their battles in the parliament, and both parties think that the process is fair.

it has parallels to the gaza thing where a fake two state process is being put before palestinians as a fair process but it's not believable so the people who live in the past on both sides continue to set the agenda.

As a side point, I'd like to see most countries being run by women. THey seem to see more opportunities to agree. Not that I'm saying that they cant be as brutal as men, but alpha males just seem to love conflict too much.

Interestingly, I see parallels between this and the gays and the police. It's all well for previously opposing groups to do photo opportunities together, but if there isnt a change happening internally then the people living in the past will bust it all apart. I have a feeling that republicans and unionist have decided to fight their battles in the parliament, and both parties think that the process is fair.

it has parallels to the gaza thing where a fake two state process is being put before palestinians as a fair process but it's not believable so the people who live in the past on both sides continue to set the agenda.

As a side point, I'd like to see most countries being run by women. THey seem to see more opportunities to agree. Not that I'm saying that they cant be as brutal as men, but alpha males just seem to love conflict too much.

Agree on the Palestinians. There's no clear/believable path forward for Palestinian people, and you have to wonder how many people in Israel can happily contemplate a future alongside some version of Palestine.

In that context, violence becomes a way to achieve bargaining leverage for a negotiation which doesn't exist. For Israel, violence has become the means toward a very particular end.

The IRA were ultimately successful in forcing the enemy to a power-sharing agreement, but all parties made considerable compromises for the sake of long-term peace. A united Ireland and an independent Northern Ireland will exist soon enough, but only when there is a clear consensus for it, which will happen when the older generation of unionists drop off the perch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on the Palestinians. There's no clear/believable path forward for Palestinian people, and you have to wonder how many people in Israel can happily contemplate a future alongside some version of Palestine.

In that context, violence becomes a way to achieve bargaining leverage for a negotiation which doesn't exist. For Israel, violence has become the means toward a very particular end.

The IRA were ultimately successful in forcing the enemy to a power-sharing agreement, but all parties made considerable compromises for the sake of long-term peace. A united Ireland and an independent Northern Ireland will exist soon enough, but only when there is a clear consensus for it, which will happen when the older generation of unionists drop off the perch.

Over the last 3 months, I believe more in dealing from a power of strength or at least balance. It occurred to me when the US bombed iraq and only notified the gov't there that it was going to do it...and the reports said that the US wasnt that concerned with bothering with iraq's gov't.

And you can see it in how israel deals with hezbollah..very polite

You need weapons and lots of them.

I've come to the belief that we should develop nuclear weapons. Strength is the only thing that alpha males respect. And then you can negotiate with them.

Having said that, I still agree with using the smart methods of bribery and reward etc that the israelis use.

Example is indonesia and malaysia....both criticising israel for obvious reasons.

Indonesia trying to join OECD.....israel has a vote....says "not so fast...." And that's where wealth and power come in.

I dont think australia has much of any of it....and why penny wong goes overseas and people pat her on the head

* me, more ratbaggery, and more ratbaggery it never stops. Midsumma should be defunded.

Pretty disappointing behaviour by the protesters, but of course the organisers can’t upset their main supporters and admit fault.

Perhaps they took inspiration from the actions of the dishonourable senator from Victoria’s actions at last years Mardi Gras where police were unable to fight back due to the politics.

Do doctors wear doctors uniforms in this march? Garbos wear their garbo garb? Do nurses when nurses stuff etc etc etc. I dont know why gay police can just wear their civies and march. I must admit that I have no idea of the internals of this thing. I just understand that some gay people might have had trouble with coppers in the past and it seems a bit presumptuous to force this "healing" sign on them when they might have a few scars. Also a bit counterproductive to come out swinging after the fact. Shouldnt everyone try to hose it all down?

But as I said, I just view it from afar...

Pretty disappointing behaviour by the protesters, but of course the organisers can’t upset their main supporters and admit fault.

Perhaps they took inspiration from the actions of the dishonourable senator from Victoria’s actions at last years Mardi Gras where police were unable to fight back due to the politics.
I’m a supporter of gay rights and everything that entails.
But I cannot wonder about the mental capacity of these “protesters” who, after decades of fighting for equality, they want to deny gay police from marching.
Much irony in that.

But I cannot wonder about the mental capacity of these “protesters” who, after decades of fighting for equality, they want to deny gay police from marching.
Much irony in that.
The silence on the interwebs and tacit approval by midsumma just shows how divisive their own movement has become. Ideologically captured, politically compromised. Disgusting behavior.

Do doctors wear doctors uniforms in this march? Garbos wear their garbo garb? Do nurses when nurses stuff etc etc etc. I dont know why gay police can just wear their civies and march. I must admit that I have no idea of the internals of this thing. I just understand that some gay people might have had trouble with coppers in the past and it seems a bit presumptuous to force this "healing" sign on them when they might have a few scars. Also a bit counterproductive to come out swinging after the fact. Shouldnt everyone try to hose it all down?

But as I said, I just view it from afar...

All emergency services march in the parade in full uniform

Much irony in that.
I also think that no one can expect perfection. There are always going to people who oppose this or that element in society, just as not everyone is going to welcome every LGBTQIA+ person into their hearts. There will be non-acceptance of something or someone associated with the movement, although gay police was a strange one to single out for attention.

Personally, as an ex English teacher concerned with subject/verb agreement etc, using plural pronouns for non binary folk with a singular verb is just never going to happen for me. Never.

All emergency services march in the parade in full uniform

well thats a good point but I suppose they dont have the history of police...but i still find it confusing when a part of an organisation marches. Do these people represent the organisation and also those that dont march?

If I was a gay person, i wouldnt find anything relevant in some members of the emergency services agency marching. Is that saying that half or a quater of the emergency services agency is going to be nice to gay recruits?

but you answered my point...

The silence on the interwebs and tacit approval by midsumma just shows how divisive their own movement has become. Ideologically captured, politically compromised. Disgusting behavior.

Took a few other people to speak up first, but now you're on your way. You found words!

Some people don't appreciate the police running a PR exercise at Midsumma, which is understandable, but always a shame when a scuffle breaks out.

Took a few other people to speak up first, but now you're on your way. You found words!

Some people don't appreciate the police running a PR exercise at Midsumma, which is understandable, but always a shame when a scuffle breaks out.
Midsumma could learn a thing or two about PR after the past 24 hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back