All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

The Israelis should reach a goal tonight as they achieve 30,000 deaths in gaza, although the israelis would argue that there are still thousands under the rubble.

The other thing of note is the official beginning of death from starvation. Israel is trying to push the momentum by stopping aid from getting through.

Death toll in Gaza nears 30,000; children succumb amid starvation-like conditions​

The number of Palestinians killed in Israel’s war on Gaza is nearing 30,000 with 76 people killed between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning bringing the death toll to 29,954, according to Gaza’s Ministry of Health.
A further 110 people were injured during the same time period, bringing the total number of Palestinians suffering injuries in the war since October 7 to 70,325, the ministry reports.
Gaza’s Health Ministry also reported that six children had died from dehydration and malnutrition at the Kamal Adwan and al-Shifa hospitals, while others are in critical condition.
More recent reports claim that three more children have died, bringing the death toll at the two hospitals to nine.

I used to go out with a teacher who had named her dalmatian Spot. I couldn't think of a worse name for a dalmatian. But given that she had taught '1984' to her Yr 11 English class and assured them it was nothing more than a tale of animals on a farm, nothing to do with Russia or revolution or similar, I was less than surprised that she had chosen Spot for a name.

I was even less surprised when we broke up.
I would have suggested breaking up the minute you found out that she was teaching her students that not only was 1984 about farm animals instead of Big Brother, but that it wasn’t allegorical.

Doesn't your curiosity go a bit deeper?

How often do you see photos of Australia's 'spy boss' plastered across every news service in the country, letting everyone know that they've infiltrated the infiltrators?

Doesn't it seem somewhat strange?

And why would he implicate an ex-politician without actually naming them, which was only ever going to set off a pointless guessing game which you've just bought into?

I'd rather that a national security organisation keep its successes to itself.
Well thinking a little deeper its a warning to anyone thinking of being a spy for a foreign regime now and into the future.

I would have suggested breaking up the minute you found out that she was teaching her students that not only was 1984 about farm animals instead of Big Brother, but that it wasn’t allegorical.
Took me a while to discover the truth of the 1984 ignorance, and the break up time probably coincided with it. It's not something she ever thought to mention or admit because she didn't know.

Well thinking a little deeper its a warning to anyone thinking of being a spy for a foreign regime now and into the future.

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

A list of politicians who have demonstrated that they can be bribed..... probably only by friendly countries of course. I also note that this only relates to one project.

You're living the life you want to. That's a magnificent thing.

It's just that sometimes you seem to weaponise the achievement by gloating, which is strange and gives the impression you're carrying a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

And your insinuations about Frankston...well I've been horrified. Absolutely horrified.
It's not as easy on the internet. No one can see his Retired at 55 t-shirt.

It's not as easy on the internet. No one can see his Retired at 55 t-shirt.

It's like me with my white pants/no pants, Mao cap and 'I :heart: FRANKSTON' t-shirt, be confident that people are imagining you exactly as you really are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because your perception, and that's all it is , is clueless. Tell me what you know about life in Israel. Oh that's right, it's like the Persians, you already know everything. The israeli culture is to protect all its citizens from being blown up by the humble palestinians, something that's been happening since that ******* arrafat. I haven't heard of any Jewish people going into gaza and detonating themselves, you know why, because their culture isn't to kill first and kill as many palestinians as they can. This is a retaliation 40 years in the making. Tell me the laws around Muslims and Christians living in israel, that's if you know it of course. Are Christians and Muslims allowed to practice in isreal? Love to hear your answers. Have you ever even met a Jewish person and bothered to have a conversation. You just sound like a Salty know it all, who doesn't like admitting he doesn't know everything. Tell me a little bit about life in Egypt. What do you know about the treatment and persecution of Coptic Christians, who are killed daily for their beliefs but you wouldn't know that because you know about the pyramids and king tut. Are you starting to see now that maybe you don't know everything.
I know very little about Israeli culture. Never been there. Never read much about it. I had a fling with an Israeli girl whilst travelling through India years ago where I also met a lot of young blokes fresh out of the army posing on Enfield motorcycles. My cumulative knowledge comes from that. heck all. My criticism of Israel has nothing to do with domestic issues. However, I'm guessing that it would be up there with Oman as the only place in that part of the world that I'd like to live. My criticism is their behaviour towards Palestinians and the land they seem to covet.

Egypt is another country that I know very little about - would love to go there too. I'd love to have your self funded retiree status. Once the kids are older, I'd sell the million dollar car and get on my bike, but Ive spent too much on travel rather than investments and housing (wouldn't do it differently though)

One country I know a fair bit about is Iran. Another one is China. In terms of your Persian mates and their love of the Shah, I could introduce you to heaps of Chinese who will rave about the Chinese government. And why wouldn't they - when the government has helped pull 800 million Han Chinese out of extreme poverty over the last 40 years.

I won't rave about the Chinese government though, I've learnt about Tibet and Xinjiang both through travel and those dreaded things called books and am appalled by the Chinese government's behaviour in those occupied territories. My criticism of the Israel government is very similar to my criticism of the Chinese government, as I believe they're willing to destroy a culture to steal land and populate it with their own group - much like what occured here in Aust, which I'm also critical of despite living Aussie culture. I'm also critical of the Chinese government for some domestic issues that I'm not critical about Israel for.

Last edited:
Because your perception, and that's all it is , is clueless. Tell me what you know about life in Israel. Oh that's right, it's like the Persians, you already know everything. The israeli culture is to protect all its citizens from being blown up by the humble palestinians, something that's been happening since that ******* arrafat. I haven't heard of any Jewish people going into gaza and detonating themselves, you know why, because their culture isn't to kill first and kill as many palestinians as they can. This is a retaliation 40 years in the making. Tell me the laws around Muslims and Christians living in israel, that's if you know it of course. Are Christians and Muslims allowed to practice in isreal? Love to hear your answers. Have you ever even met a Jewish person and bothered to have a conversation. You just sound like a Salty know it all, who doesn't like admitting he doesn't know everything. Tell me a little bit about life in Egypt. What do you know about the treatment and persecution of Coptic Christians, who are killed daily for their beliefs but you wouldn't know that because you know about the pyramids and king tut. Are you starting to see now that maybe you don't know everything.

Let me reword this, brother.

Israel is in the process of killing thousands of innocent people, well over 10,000 kids and counting, now being starved as well as bombed.

Conversation can be so overrated.

The BBC reports that the israelis have achieved 30,000 palestinian civilian deaths today. It seems that approx 85 were eradicated. This would appear to be below the normal rate of about 250, although there may be more buried in the rubble somewhere.

The usual chain of events are that when a ceasefire approaches, israel usually intensifies anything lethal actions that it is undertaking....so we can watch to see if the deaths increase later in the week. Something to look forward to....

manicpie It's taken me a while, but I finally think I've deciphered what you've been talking about. When you're saying Persians, you're talking about the Zoroastrian religion aren't you? Hence all that strange stuff about never having met a Persian. (I have met Zoroastrians in both India and Iran btw) So when others are talking about the era before the Islamic religion, you're actually talking about the era before Islam, which flows into your talk about Judea and the nomadic groups. You're dreaming of a time before Islam existed, aren't you?

I wasn't trying to be a dick in that post - probably was though. I was being serious. Those questions are genuine questions. I think Zoroastrian is what he means by Persian. I've told him that I've been to Iran and he keeps saying that I've never met a Persian - that's the only thing that makes sense to me. It also makes sense in that when I and others were talking about the Shah and pre-Islamic Revolution, he may have been instead talking about pre- Islamic Iran.

Baha’i thing, SR. Quite a few iranians are Baha’i and i think a few are christians too. Ironically, the homebase of Baha’i is in Israel......think about that...

And your familiar with vietnam. A lot of the refugees on the boat from vietnam were anti-commo and did work with americans etc.....so they werent too happy with the post war gov't in vietnam. Same thing for persians. They came here as refugees post shah.....minorities like Baha’i and people who worked for shah...not surprising that they dont like the muslim gov't

Just speculating

Baha’i thing, SR. Quite a few iranians are Baha’i and i think a few are christians too. Ironically, the homebase of Baha’i is in Israel......think about that...

And your familiar with vietnam. A lot of the refugees on the boat from vietnam were anti-commo and did work with americans etc.....so they werent too happy with the post war gov't in vietnam. Same thing for persians. They came here as refugees post shah.....minorities like Baha’i and people who worked for shah...not surprising that they dont like the muslim gov't

Just speculating
Don't know anything about Baha’i. Did a quick Google search and think I might be an inadvertent follower based on one sentence description.

But I do know that Zoroastrians do refer to Persia - it was the Persian religion, so my money is on that's what was meant. And they have been horrendously persecuted in modern Iran.

Don't know anything about Baha’i. Did a quick Google search and think I might be an inadvertent follower based on one sentence description.

But I do know that Zoroastrians do refer to Persia - it was the Persian religion, so my money is on that's what was meant. And they have been horrendously persecuted in modern Iran.

put simply, refugees from revolution in iran who left the country because they were other religions or they worked for the shah or they wanted to continue secular life...and they called themselves persian to distance themselves.

israel has expanded its so called settler areas near jerusalem .....illegally.....a few days after the international court of justice was hearing submissions from 50 countries about the israeli occupation being ilegal.

So effectively, the israelis have thumbed their noses at the court and those 50 countries.

The question now is what will those countries do because obviously, israel is not going to stop the occupation and it will continue to be supported by the US and other western gov'ts like Austraila.

Will those 50 countries try to isolate israel as the world - particularly the west - has done to russia?

Obviously australia is going to continue to toe the US line and stay in the prone position with its butt in the air....

israel has fired directly at palestinians who were lining up for food killing over 100 and wounding nearly 800.

In the first instance, israel lied like it normally does, and said that palestinians panicked for the food and caused the deaths.

Then the lying israelis realised that dead people had bullet holes in them and so the IDF blamed the starving palestinians for charging towards the food.

The thing that should be remembered is that israeli soldiers are reservists and they will return to their normal lives and take back the attitudes encouraged by the israeli military. It is no wonder that israeli society has swung violently to the right and its a wonder why australia is still supporting it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back