All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

If the ALP are going to spend their time in office basing their policies and decisions on what Dutton might do in response or what Biden might think, they are going to be a frustratingly dull, middle of the road mob. At least Albo and Wong have vindicated for me my belief that they are shallow creatures devoid of genuine moral fibre and are second rate performers on a world political stage admittedly devoid of star performers. Hopefully the Dunkley electorate deliver a by-election result that will cause the party to consider their lack-lustre efforts to date, even if the voter backlash is largely based on concerns over cost of living.
I think it's because we've become too "democratic" due to technology and the speed that they can read the electorate and cater their messages and ideas for what the electorate want on every issue. Let's get "representative democracy" back - the idea that we elect someone to represent us based on their ability, values and principles, who is advised by experts, rather than being advised by polls from us mob. But importantly wom we can kick out if they're ****wits.

I think it's because we've become too "democratic" due to technology and the speed that they can read the electorate and cater their messages and ideas for what the electorate want on every issue. Let's get "representative democracy" back - the idea that we elect someone to represent us based on their ability, values and principles, who is advised by experts, rather than being advised by polls from us mob. But importantly wom we can kick out if they're *******s.

I think the problem arises when the polls indicate one thing and the politician takes another course of action. Having said that, a large part of the population is either stupid or ignorant and easily led by propaganda. I'm not sure it would be a good thing to have electors directly making judgements on legislation. Of course, currently we have the executive determining whether we go to war .....i think john howard ceremoniously drove past parliament after he decided to send us to iraq. Its a mixed bag with no easy answers

It hasn't been shut down. It is being relocated because of safety concerns.

Concerns that the physical safety of performer and patrons can't be guaranteed is not a good thing, unless you're lusting for blood.

Reckon ZEV could have give this a bit more thought before he 'liked' it.

Clem is toxic, obnoxious, and hostile but has a basic right to safety.

Who is she? I've never heard of her before and a quick search just throws out a heap of words like activist - is she some Tik Tok influencer who riles - the lefts equivalentof all those American ****wits? Or is she more your 13 year old passionate kid with Aspergers - like Gretta Thunberg who became a bizarre symbol to hate?

Of course she will deny it, but allegedly one of her associates who was involved in the kidnapping, robbery, assault and torture of the person employed by a Jew, was also present at the melbourne city motion last week and involved in two assaults there as well. Allegedly.

Who is she? I've never heard of her before and a quick search just throws out a heap of words like activist - is she some Tik Tok influencer who riles - the lefts equivalentof all those American *******s? Or is she more your 13 year old passionate kid with Aspergers - like Gretta Thunberg who became a bizarre symbol to hate?

The most cynical view of her would be that she is the Milo Yiannopoulos of the left. :)

THe next step to the "ultimate solution" *

Israeli right-wing activists infiltrated the Gaza Strip for the first time to build new settlements on February 29. Dozens of Israeli activists broke through an Israeli military checkpoint at the Erez crossing between North Gaza and Israel. The settlers managed to set up two makeshift settlements adjacent to the border fence, declaring it the rebirth of a settlement movement ended by Israel in 2005. Watch this video to know more.

* gee i dont want to upset anyone...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course she will deny it, but allegedly one of her associates who was involved in the kidnapping, robbery, assault and torture of the person employed by a Jew, was also present at the melbourne city motion last week and involved in two assaults there as well. Allegedly.

This would be hard to prove but unsurprising.

I think the israelis would agree with 3 of those 4

I don't know any Israelis but the few Jewish people I do know would agree on all 4. :)

Smart provocateur more interested in making a buck than what they're saying?

Combative.

She is still overcoming her grief that COVID didn't kill enough men, so she remains a little angry.

Combative.

She is still overcoming her grief that COVID didn't kill enough men, so she remains a little angry.
don't know who she is, but your description makes me like her. I think I'm a lefty because I like combatative agitators more than self-satisfied, smug agitators.

don't know who she is, but your description makes me like her. I think I'm a lefty because I like combatative agitators more than self-satisfied, smug agitators.

You like her, but she doesn't like you.

*Which might make you like her even more.

She's not the only one hoping for diseases to wipe out a population....

True.

Clem does not hold exclusive rights to nastiness but she excels at it.

You like her, but she doesn't like you.

*Which might make you like her even mo
I just watched a couple of her short videos. One on marriage and one on patriarchy - can't say I found either of them interesting, provocative or contorversial - seemed a bit vanilla to me - surprised she's getting a response.Still feel like I'm missing something.

True.

Clem does not hold exclusive rights to nastiness but she excels at it.

well i just had a look at her instagram page and she seems to live in a different universe to me...but I agree with her on palestine and the first thing that I thought of when she revealed the 600 person whatsapp pressure group, was the massive power it was able to wield.....so I thought it was a good thing to reveal it.

while we're discussing media people, let me mention a garden gnome called caleb bond on sky. Isnt there an israeli out there who hasnt filled his daily quota?

Having committed a Holocaust, Germany finds it rather difficult to tolerate any criticism of Israel within its academic, culture, or general politics.

This is the context in which the Australian anthropologist. Ghassan Hage, was recently terminated from his temporary position in Germany.

Thousands of scholars have condemned his termination. An example from the Jewish Voice for Peace:

There is considerable discussion of the ways in which Germany's guilt over one genocide can now blind it --or make it completely indifferent-- to the perpetuation of another.

This is one article on the subject, which contains links to further articles:

It is dense, but worth an effort. Whoever reads it might also consider the extent to which other Western countries share Germany's curious condition.

I can imagine how I'd feel.

I think most people from my generation have been injected with all the PLO bombs in airplanes stuff earlier in their lives and they've turned to making money and they've remained locked in ...first impressions. i think all those movies sit coms and jerry seinfeld did the trick too. I dont think it's silence. It's more indifference.

I think most people from my generation have been injected with all the PLO bombs in airplanes stuff earlier in their lives and they've turned to making money and they've remained locked in ...first impressions. i think all those movies sit coms and jerry seinfeld did the trick too. I dont think it's silence. It's more indifference.

You might be right, mate.

If I was a Palestinian, picking up the pieces of one child and watching another child be slowly starved, it'd be better to think that the world hated me and my kind.

It would somehow make more sense, and it would be preferable to a reality that the world just doesn't care.

------------------------------------------

The Holocaust wasn't widely known until after the war, starting with news reels as the Russians and Americans liberated Europe.

Now we watch an ethnic cleansing in real time and most governments can't even pretend to be outraged. Humanity has regressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back