All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Another huge blow for the far-left. Another democracy has spoken. Identity politics & fear-mongering lose out once again, who'd have thought?

Haven't followed the UK politics too closely, but Isn't Brexit all about identity politics, isn't MAGA about identity poiltiics too? Kind of ironic? And what is the far left to you?

And how will this play out? For instance - apparently Scott Morrison was a win for Australia or something according to you - and seven months on what has his government achieved in office? Any wage growth? The RBA saying he needs to imple,ent Labor's policies? What even were Liberals policies - just fear mongering right? So in seven months time or a few years time how will Brexit play out? I do know that Morrison is about to drive us into really hard finanacial times among other failures.

And isn't democracy just great when a guy who just bought the world's most expensive mansion in the LA also owns most of the media here and has lots of propaganda pull in the UK? Isn't it just great that we also have politicians in the Liberal party who have been bought out by the coal lobby as well as other corporate interests?

Do you consider yourself one of the quiet Australians?

Haven't followed the UK politics too closely, but Isn't Brexit all about identity politics, isn't MAGA about identity poiltiics too? Kind of ironic? And what is the far left to you?

And how will this play out? For instance - apparently Scott Morrison was a win for Australia or something according to you - and seven months on what has his government achieved in office? Any wage growth? The RBA saying he needs to imple,ent Labor's policies? What even were Liberals policies - just fear mongering right?

And isn't democracy just great when a guy who just bought the richest mansion in the world owns most of the media here and has lots of propaganda pull in the UK? Isn't it just great that we also have politicians in the Liberal party who have been bought out by the coal lobby as well as other corporate interests?

Do you consider yourself one of the quiet Australians?
Isn't that the beauty of democracy. Make sure you submit your vote again in 4 years time if you're dissatisfied.

Isn't that the beauty of democracy. Make sure you submit your vote again in 4 years time if you're dissatisfied.

I clearly stated that our democracy is corrupted by Murdoch media and corporate interest. Then there's our autocratic government, journalists getting raided and protesters free speech actually getting repressed through legistlation. In three years time hopefully the Murdoch's are all dead, I know I'll celebreate when they cark it, ALP will stand a much bigger chance when they're influence is gone.

I clearly stated that our democracy is corrupted by Murdoch media and corporate interest. Then there's our autocratic government, journalists getting raided and protesters free speech actually getting repressed through legistlation. In three years time hopefully the Murdoch's are all dead, I know I'll celebreate when they cark it, ALP will stand a much bigger chance when they're influence is gone.
BuT mUrDoCh Iz ThE dEvIl - the call of the perennially outraged.

Democracy is beautiful.

Another huge blow for the far-left. Another democracy has spoken. Identity politics & fear-mongering lose out once again, who'd have thought?
I actually thought that identity politics and fear mongering had another win today.

So the Washington Post has done an in depth investigation into the Afghanistan War only to discover that we were lied to.....who would have thought?

After all Iraq, Libya and Syria were all righteous actions......nah, just kidding
Did they find the weapons of mass destuction?
Anyways some people got rich supplying the us army.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win for those who think its ridiculous, absolutely.
I don't get what point you are trying to make. Which policy has the most sound bites? Secure our borders, jobs being taken away, our way of life/culture is in jeopardy. People haven't still worked out that most jobs are been taken over by legal migration through the fruit salad of visas, more illegal migrants arrive via air than by boats.

Politics in UK, USA and here is all about identity politics and fear mongering helped out by the Murdoch/Fox media and if you can't see that well then you mustn't be very objective and just having a go at what you see as the 'terrible dangerous left'.

Have you seen the front pages of the media in the UK yesterday and today? Do you read/watch the news from The Sun, Australian and Fox after Dark here?

Surely you can't be serious?

Don't think so, I believe Lachlan is worse.:eek:

Sadly ALP have a lot to learn and more sadly for me the Greens need a better leader, they have lost their way.

I don't get what point you are trying to make. Which policy has the most sound bites? Secure our borders, jobs being taken away, our way of life/culture is in jeopardy. People haven't still worked out that most jobs are been taken over by legal migration through the fruit salad of visas, more illegal migrants arrive via air than by boats.

Politics in UK, USA and here is all about identity politics and fear mongering helped out by the Murdoch/Fox media and if you can't see that well then you mustn't be very objective and just having a go at what you see as the 'terrible dangerous left'.

Have you seen the front pages of the media in the UK yesterday and today? Do you read/watch the news from The Sun, Australian and Fox after Dark here?

Maggie, you clearly have NFI. The left are the ones trying to restrict freedom of speech, fear mongering over the current economic & social climate, and overall culture of outrage. What a shock people are rejecting being told what to do & think.

Again, democracy has spoken. No-one writes your vote for you.

Bad luck.

Maggie, you clearly have NFI. The left are the ones trying to restrict freedom of speech, fear mongering over the current economic & social climate, and overall culture of outrage. What a shock people are rejecting being told what to do & think.

Again, democracy has spoken. No-one writes your vote for you.

Bad luck.
Oh that's not nice. Why do people resort to putting another down. Does it make you feel superior?

Objectivity is the key, keep what I believe to one side and try and view things objectively, works for me.

I am so over politicians demonising refugees and migrants.

Oh that's not nice. Why do people resort to putting another down. Does it make you feel superior?

Objectivity is the key, keep what I believe to one side and try and view things objectively, works for me.

I am so over politicians demonising refugees and migrants.
Whats the difference with you saying 'surely you can't be serious?' - and 'you have NFI'?

Tut tut, Mags.

The trouble for people like ourselves Maggie, is that very few people who vote have little idea about political policies. Before the last election the ABC did a street poll of 20 people and asked them who was the current PM. 2 out of 20 responded correctly. So how on earth are those other 18 expected to understand detailed policy???????
On the 7.30 report a few weeks back they talked to' the quiet Australians 'who voted for Morrison. It was quite obvious that in terms of political knowledge they were dumb as dog s**t.

This is what the Murdoch press preys upon. If you lie often enough, people will believe it, particularly those that don't really care if they are well informed or not. People have actually quoted Andrew Bolt and Allan Jones to me like they are climate scientists. I mean how dumb do you have to be.

The politics of greed that came with the election of Reagan in 1980 has been the most powerful influence in the world ever since, emboldened by the fall of communism. It has led to the bankruptcy of almost every western economy in the world. Yet people keep voting for it.
As they say , you don't have to be dumb to be a conservative, but , my God, it helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back