All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

We've had the technology for a high level of authoritarian control for years. It's not the technology that you need to worry about - it's the will. You're not showing me any evidence of it.

And frankly, I'd prefer to see my data in the hands of the government than in the hands of tech companies - were it already is. They know who you are and how you think and they're going to keep sending s**t like this because you like to read it and it will send you deeper down the rabbit hole.

thats so true....the zuckerberg knows more about me than my family....actually more than i do about me...

Ooohhh…. Bookmarked.
An informal vote removes the right to criticise the sitting Government.
Going to be fun times.
Doesn't remove any rights. I will continue to criticise the government, opposition and any other political entity whether I vote informal or not. Why vote for any party about which I have serious concerns, and if that happens to include all of them, the only compulsion on election day is to have my name crossed off at the polling booth.

I would never vote for the Greens, though they are the only party on the same wavelength over Israel. Other than them, any vote for a minority party is only going to end up as a vote for one of the major parties I have preferenced. I have a real problem with preferences being worth a full vote. Seems absurd that a 3rd or 4th preference vote should count for as much as a third. I happily vote for senate candidates because even if my 1st choice doesn't make it, under proportional representation my preferences only count as fractions, and it's a system advantageous to small parties, which I like.

you've got an interesting interpretation of the voting system

In the lower house, you might do this. You get first and second preference and you are "exhausted". As for your upper house interpretation, a vote is a vote. If the candidate gets 50%+ of the quota for a seat, they get in.

1711611760156.png

Talking about photos on passports, my people came to this country and one of them didnt even give his correct name. Just jumped on a ship.... I call that freedom.

I yearn for those days when any captain in any port in indonesia could just sell berths on a ship and load the people in and arrive at an australian port...

you've got an interesting interpretation of the voting system

In the lower house, you might do this. You get first and second preference and you are "exhausted". As for your upper house interpretation, a vote is a vote. If the candidate gets 50%+ of the quota for a seat, they get in.

View attachment 1942047
Under proportional representation for the senate, your second preference is worth half a vote, your third a third of a vote etc. In the preferential system, your last preference is worth a full vote if none of the previous preferences are successful. Your vote may be exhausted after 2nd preference in WA but I am fairly sure that does not apply federally (or Victoria as our ballot slips do not state that the vote is exhausted after the 2nd preference)
1711612792630.png

Last edited:
Talking about photos on passports, my people came to this country and one of them didnt even give his correct name. Just jumped on a ship.... I call that freedom.

I yearn for those days when any captain in any port in indonesia could just sell berths on a ship and load the people in and arrive at an australian port...

The English Government didn't colonise India. The British India Team Company did. If I was going to worry about control, I'd be more worried about the growth of enormous corporations with the sole goal of profit.

The English Government didn't colonise India. The British India Team Company did. If I was going to worry about control, I'd be more worried about the growth of enormous corporations with the sole goal of profit.

i tend to love corporations and hate governments..... i worship people who are rich

Under proportional representation for the senate, your second preference is worth half a vote, your third a third of a vote etc. In the preferential system, your last preference is worth a full vote if none of the previous preferences are successful. Your vote may be exhausted after 2nd preference in WA but I am fairly sure that does not apply federally (or Victoria as a ballot slips do not state that the vote is exhausted after the 2nd preference)

fair enough.

....so lets evaluate what's happened in gaza in the last month or so....

about 100 dead every day due to bombing etc.

increasing numbers suffering from a lack of food

thousands of word spoken

continued shipments of arms to israel from various countries including usa, canada, britain and australia

multitude of pats on the back for israeli officials behind closed doors.

Doesn't remove any rights. I will continue to criticise the government, opposition and any other political entity whether I vote informal or not. Why vote for any party about which I have serious concerns, and if that happens to include all of them, the only compulsion on election day is to have my name crossed off at the polling booth.
Of course it removes your rights.
Just like barracking for Carlton removes those peoples rights not to be ridiculed.

Melbourne, Australia – Israel’s continued assault on Gaza has highlighted a hidden yet crucial component of the world’s weapons manufacturing industry – suburban Australia.

Tucked away in Melbourne’s industrial north, Heat Treatment Australia (HTA) 40 Capital Link Drive, Campbellfield, VIC 3061, AU
is an Australian company that plays a vital role in the production of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters; the same model that Israel is using to bomb Gaza.

Weekly protests of about 200 people have been taking place for months outside the nondescript factory, where heat treatment is applied to strengthen components for the fighter jet a product of US military giant Lockheed Martin.
While protesters have sometimes brought production to a halt with their pickets, they remain concerned about what’s going on inside factories like HTA.

“We decided to hold the community picket to disrupt workers, and we were successful in stopping work for the day,” Nathalie Farah, protest organiser with local group Hume for Palestine, told Al Jazeera. “We consider this to be a win.”
“Australia is absolutely complicit in the genocide that is happening,” said 26-year-old Farah, who is of Syrian and Palestinian origin. “Which is contrary to what the government might have us believe.”

Last edited:
Just like barracking for Carlton removes those peoples rights not to be ridiculed.
Rubbish, I have voted informal by leaving form blank.

None of my rights were removed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a "morale" argument which is ironic, really, when you consider how people operate in politics....
And they would have to fingerprint to see it was me.

I work during State and Federal elections and leaving them blank is lazy, some draw pretty pictures or make rude remarks.

:)

And they would have to fingerprint to see it was me.

I work during State and Federal elections and leaving them blank is lazy, some draw pretty pictures or make rude remarks.

:)

i think we're the only country in the world that requires a vote from everyone eligible. They did it in the early days when we had a few million people. Now it gives a "voice" to people who dont want one.

It is democratic not to vote, if you have been given a free choice.

I can't find anything about this voting rule in the big footy posting rules. You should write to chief and tell him to add this rule of yours.

I can't find anything about this voting rule in the big footy posting rules. You should write to chief and tell him to add this rule of yours.
I know what he means and accept that he thinks you need to have some skin in the game to participate in it. I would willingly declare allegiance to a party that represents my interests, but there is none, so in a sense I unwillingly find myself politically in no man's land, almost unwillingly sniping from the sidelines, bleating pleadingly from the pit.

I know what he means and accept that he thinks you need to have some skin in the game to participate in it. I would willingly declare allegiance to a party that represents my interests, but there is none, so in a sense I unwillingly find myself politically in no man's land, almost unwillingly sniping from the sidelines, bleating pleadingly from the pit.
Under the same theory, Liberal voters were responsible for everything the Scomo government did and Labour voters responsible for everything the Albanese govt has done. And even the minor party voters as most of the time your preference ends up with one of the big parties. I wouldn't donkey vote as there is still an ideological difference between the parties and they both shift towards the ideology getting the more votes. Punish them with the primary vote and then order your preferences for your preferred.

Yeah, democracy is so unfair!

Under the same theory, Liberal voters were responsible for everything the Scomo government did and Labour voters responsible for everything the Albanese govt has done. And even the minor party voters as most of the time your preference ends up with one of the big parties. I wouldn't donkey vote as there is still an ideological difference between the parties and they both shift towards the ideology getting the more votes. Punish them with the primary vote and then order your preferences for your preferred.

you vote multiple times SR?

The UN court of justice has ordered israel to behave like humans and the court will be ignored, as everyone expects. Meanwhile, the US will take enough time to build a port so that Israel will achieve its goal of starving the population. With these events in mind, excuse me if I'm cynical of the "concern" by our elected officials over a plane that gets lost 10 years ago.

Life is getting more bizarre. The treasurer is abolishing or reducing taxes on household items....and this will cost $120m. The bill will be picked up by those saving the money....

because we know that people with money dont pay tax and neither do the largest corporations.

You’re wrong. Big business pays about 96 percent of the tax they are required to pay. Small business is about 87 percent. In terms of total tax not paid, its 2 billion by big business and 13 billion for small business.

Corp Tax Association has a number of articlea on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back