All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

You’re wrong. Big business pays about 96 percent of the tax they are required to pay. Small business is about 87 percent. In terms of total tax not paid, its 2 billion by big business and 13 billion for small business.

Corp Tax Association has a number of articlea on this.
Lol. Want to provide these articles? I'm sure they're even-handed

The source data that the Corporate Tax Association cite.

Big business don’t pay 3 billion. Small business dont pay 15 billion
Does this account for the billions the ATO tax avoidance taskforce recoups ever year?

I think the more important question is whether you think the system is a good one. Should our tax income streams look like this?

AustralianGovernmentRevenue-02.jpg

Lol. Want to provide these articles? I'm sure they're even-handed

It must have been this article

How many companies don't pay tax in Australia?

Over 800 large companies paid no corporate tax in Australia in the 2021-22 financial year, according to new data from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). Total corporate tax paid was 22.2% higher than the previous year, reflecting higher business profits. Despite this, about a third of all companies paid no tax. no tax?14 Nov 2023

800 large companies paid no tax in 2021-22. Why? - The Daily Aus​

Does this account for the billions the ATO tax avoidance taskforce recoups ever year?

I think the more important question is whether you think the system is a good one. Should our tax income streams look like this?

AustralianGovernmentRevenue-02.jpg

If you look at OECD countries, Australia is in the top tier of countries that get more revenue from company tax. Where we appear to be quite low, is GST / VAT. A lot of countries get more tax revenue from consumption, which would suggest the GST should increase.

It must have been this article

How many companies don't pay tax in Australia?

Over 800 large companies paid no corporate tax in Australia in the 2021-22 financial year, according to new data from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). Total corporate tax paid was 22.2% higher than the previous year, reflecting higher business profits. Despite this, about a third of all companies paid no tax. no tax?14 Nov 2023

800 large companies paid no tax in 2021-22. Why? - The Daily Aus

Have you read why? Does an airline or cruise operator pay tax during COVID when they book billions of dollars in losses? What about if you invest billions in a capital project to extract and process natural gas?

20-30% of ASX Top 500 listed companies make an operating loss in any given year. Make no profit = pay no income tax.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said the Israeli military will expand its campaign against Hezbollah: “We will reach wherever the organisation operates, in Beirut, Damascus and in more distant places.”

What’s in the US’s latest arms packages to Israel?

Despite expressing concern about civilian casualties in Gaza, the US White House has green-lighted more major shipments of arms and military equipment to Israel in recent days. The packages include:
  • 1,800 MK84 2,000-pound bombs
  • 500 MK82 500-pound bombs
  • 25 F-35A fighter jets and engines
The 2,000-pound bombs, which can inflict damage to people up to 1,000 feet away, have been “linked to previous mass-casualty events throughout Israel’s military campaign in Gaza”, reports the Washington Post.

20-30% of ASX Top 500 listed companies make an operating loss in any given year. Make no profit = pay no income tax.
That's because they choose not to. They choose to expand their balance sheet instead or invest into future revenue rather than paying tax.

People carry on about individuals negative gearing - multiple it by a heap with corporations.

I know what he means and accept that he thinks you need to have some skin in the game to participate in it. I would willingly declare allegiance to a party that represents my interests, but there is none, so in a sense I unwillingly find myself politically in no man's land, almost unwillingly sniping from the sidelines, bleating pleadingly from the pit.
I rarely if ever have voted for what was in my interest. Although coming to Australia with just a change of clothing to our name our family has done okay.

I look at what is for the greater good for low to middle income earners, environment and the future.

Which is why I split my vote Labor/Greens.

It is more Council elections that are a pain.

I designed a world where I'm not required to pay tax....unfortunately, no one has implemented it
When working I would always take out extra tax so wouldn't have to pay at the end of the year. Didn't have many legitimate expenses to offset.

One year I found that I had to pay something like a couple of hundred dollars and was really annoyed with myself so decided to delay filing return. They eventually wrote to me asking why I hadn't filed a return. I said I had (during the times when mailing in), had a copy when in fact was the one I didn't send. Anyway wasn't fined and eventually they accepted 'lost in the mail' and I paid.

When working I would always take out extra tax so wouldn't have to pay at the end of the year. Didn't have many legitimate expenses to offset.

One year I found that I had to pay something like a couple of hundred dollars and was really annoyed with myself so decided to delay filing return. They eventually wrote to me asking why I hadn't filed a return. I said I had (during the times when mailing in), had a copy when in fact was the one I didn't send. Anyway wasn't fined and eventually they accepted 'lost in the mail' and I paid.

its tax cheats like yourself that inflate the corporate taxes of honest companies like google...

The US taxpayer should really be demanding a more efficient delivery service to Gaza.

Why isnt the US delivering its bombs with these crates of aid??? It seems madness to deliver this aid below and then sell bombs to the Israelis and allow them to do the bombing. Why not combine the deliveries????

1711789700848.png

If you look at OECD countries, Australia is in the top tier of countries that get more revenue from company tax. Where we appear to be quite low, is GST / VAT. A lot of countries get more tax revenue from consumption, which would suggest the GST should increase.
Not really an answer to my question. Do you think our taxation system works well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The US taxpayer should really be demanding a more efficient delivery service to Gaza.

Why isnt the US delivering its bombs with these crates of aid??? It seems madness to deliver this aid below and then sell bombs to the Israelis and allow them to do the bombing. Why not combine the deliveries????

View attachment 1944432
They are probably delivering the bombs in the planes they have also given them. Just pack the bombs in the bomb bays and they can be dropped shortly after taking delivery. And this is Biden and the Democrats doing this rather than the out of control Trump people. American politics is a cesspit of questionable allegiances and immoral policy and action in which there is little separating the two parties.

Not really an answer to my question. Do you think our taxation system works well?
Is your question one of policy or administration?, I.e if the system is a given, it is operating well (administration question) or is the system wrong (policy questions). I’m not being pedantic, but it’s an important differentiation, similar to are the police effective in policing the laws we have or is the law rubbish.

Is your question one of policy or administration?, I.e if the system is a given, it is operating well (administration question) or is the system wrong (policy questions). I’m not being pedantic, but it’s an important differentiation, similar to are the police effective in policing the laws we have or is the law rubbish.
The latter, I think it’s a more interesting question

It seems that the Oppenheimer film opened in Hiroshima a few days back. Apparently, some of the japanese who watched it didnt understand the americans celebrating the success of detonating the bomb.....strange eh....maybe they havent been educated into the american way of thinking...

You're out obtusing yourself. I've got not idea what you're quoting or what that comment is about.

it was a compliment on your information... i just had a look at the epoch times which somehow had got into my email list and your media bias site confirmed what i thought of it. I was merely posting about the usefulness of your info. Should I gush more?

Other than the usual israeli attacks on hospitals and journalists and general civilians, it is very quiet at the moment....almost too quiet. It's been a week since blinken or biden have called for israel to not cross a various coloured line....red line blue line whatever. The obsession with coloured lines appears to reflect a strange fascination with geometric shapes.

Meanwhile netinyahoo has been in hospital....which is rather ironic....to supposedly get a hernia implanted...but sources say that a monkey's heart has been put in. You would think that doctors would consider the greater good when they were involved in these activities.

It seems that we're at a stage where we are waiting for the american public to get more disinterested in gaza than usual, even as $4billion of their money is spent on bomb to kill more innocent civilians.

it was a compliment on your information... i just had a look at the epoch times which somehow had got into my email list and your media bias site confirmed what i thought of it. I was merely posting about the usefulness of your info. Should I gush more?
I thought you had put my "I'm worthwhile" comment through a mediabias website? I don't think I want to know the results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back