All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

Yes, nations act in their own self-interest.

Powerful nations can exert their will over others.

There is, though, no such thing as a 'global policeman'.

Yes, Australia is thankful that the US has been a predominant power...because we are allied with them.
are we friends with Hardistan?

Confirmed not officially, but if you think the US haven't been bullying nations and invading them in the guise of defending 'world order' since wwII then you've been living on mars.

When are you flying back JB?

There's no 'official' or 'unofficial' version of a global policeman. There's only the fictional version which people like you have conflated with reality.

Now you're arguing that the US has been exerting its will since the end of WWII...which is (a) a different notion altogether and (b) duh.

Yes, nations act in their own self-interest.

Powerful nations can exert their will over others.

There is, though, no such thing as a 'global policeman'.

Yes, Australia is thankful that the US has been a predominant power...because we are allied with them and are a liberal democracy like them.
Call it whatever the phuq you want JB.

But yeah the bolded.

There's no 'official' or 'unofficial' version of a global policeman. There's only the fictional version which people like you have conflated with reality.

Now you're arguing that the US has been exerting its will since the end of WWII...which is (a) a different notion altogether and (b) duh.
Well this is inconsistent with your post 6923.

Nice own goal there, you're all over the shop.

Ive no idea what a global policeman means either, but if there had to be one Id go with: Kazakhstan.

Why, well their national sport is called “Buzkashi”, which literally means “grabbing the dead goat”, sees players on horseback vie for control of the “ball”, which, as the name suggests, is the headless carcass of a goat.

I wouldn't mess with em.
Are you sure it's not called Karlton?

Don't just assert. Demonstrate. Use your words.
Ok then,

Willing to bet you'd willingly admit the US has ever since wwII exerted it's own influence over other nations of different ideologies (think Iraq and Afghanistan for example) in the guise of 'defending democracy / world order' or whatever term you wanna use, for their own self interest.

And somehow in the same conversation you claim the US haven't or aren't doing that. < Where you've lost all credit in your argument.

How about to suit your vocab we call them the global bully? Would that be better?

Ooooops I did forget about Hardistan, I've reassessed my vote and changed it to the hardest of countries and blokes - Chief Ottoman and Hardistan.

Maybe Kazakhstan could have a role more like a global Sherriff - and get to pick on smaller countries like New Zealand
Careful what you wish for, I think he might enslave whole nations into the task of picking lice out of his back hair.

Last edited:
Ok then,

Willing to bet you'd willingly admit the US has ever since wwII exerted it's own influence over other nations of different ideologies (think Iraq and Afghanistan for example) in the guise of 'defending democracy / world order' or whatever term you wanna use, for their own self interest.

And somehow in the same conversation you claim the US haven't or aren't doing that. < Where you've lost all credit in your argument.

How about to suit your vocab we call them the global bully? Would that be better?

I apologise for encouraging you to type out all those words.

Let's be honest, we don't make sense to each other.

Love JB.

Netanyahu has recently accused the ICJ of being antisemitic, because it had the nerve to call out Israel's actions.

The protests at college campuses across the US in support of Gaza have also become a concern of Israel and its sympathisers/clients. They are looking to provoke conflict on those campuses and trying very hard to paint them as antisemitic rallies.

The weaponisation of 'antisemitic' is hardly new, but it is being used with increased intensity in the last few months.

Netanyahu has recently accused the ICJ of being antisemitic, because it had the nerve to call out Israel's actions.

The protests at college campuses across the US in support of Gaza have also become a concern of Israel and its sympathisers/clients. They are looking to provoke conflict on those campuses and trying very hard to paint them as antisemitic rallies.

The weaponisation of 'antisemitic' is hardly new, but it is being used with increased intensity in the last few months.

I watch quite a bit of live US news and last night CNN interviewed a young man who is part of the student (and faculty members) protesters at Columbia Uni. I don't think she got the interview she was expecting.

Firstly he introduced himself as a Jewish student there and that he was part of the protest group. He then said that a number of the students were Jewish in the group. He doesn't fear for his life and they are all against the genocide and the Zionist government led by Bibi.

She then proceeded to ask about some X tweets from a student to which he replied that that person was not a member of the group and highly doubted that he was even a student at the Uni. Further some trouble makers had tried to infiltrate their group.

I think the public seems to always want to be outraged about something even if it is not the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She then proceeded to ask about some X tweets from a student to which he replied that that person was not a member of the group and highly doubted that he was even a student at the Uni. Further some trouble makers had tried to infiltrate their group.

I think the public seems to always want to be outraged about something even if it is not the truth.

I've been reading about the infiltration. The larger the protest groups have become, the easier it has become for paid/passionate types to provoke incidents to discredit protest.

Some are (apparently) paid $50,000.

In any case, it goes to show that the protests are hardly inconsequential to the people/causes they are protesting against.

British journalist Owen Jones reported that the ICJ is preparing arrest warrants for bibi and others in the war cabinet, the US and its allies are lobbying behind the scenes to prevent that. So bibi is getting out in front of this in the event they are issued

British journalist Owen Jones reported that the ICJ is preparing arrest warrants for bibi and others in the war cabinet, the US and its allies are lobbying behind the scenes to prevent that. So bibi is getting out in front of this in the event they are issued

I've heard similar reports.

Not sure how that'll play out, but Bibi certainly needs the blood of Palestinians to keep flowing.

I've heard similar reports.

Not sure how that'll play out, but Bibi certainly needs the blood of Palestinians to keep flowing.
re your point on the weaponisation of antisemitism, I did have a chuckle when recently Kenneth Stern was accused of antisemitism by the chair of AIPAC for criticising Israel. Kenneth Stern was the lead author of the working definition of antisemitism adopted by the US, EU and the UN. Nobody is immune.

A global policeman appointed by no one, acting upon no particular powers or ideals other than self-interest.

Happy to overthrow democracies when it suits, subvert others. Has no hesitation in supporting some of the bloodiest dictatorships around the world.

Pays no attention to international law and will not be bound by it.

A questionable democracy operating according to special interests (i.e. cash), while citizens are given the power to shoot fellow citizens.

Most of the world regards the US as a self-serving power in terminal decline. The notion that it has ever been --let alone remains-- a global policeman is a simple fiction for those who love simple stories.
Still no nomination?
If you don’t have a world policeman, self appointed or not, then you have a void.
I can think of a couple of regimes that would happily fill that void.
Br careful what you wish for.

Still no nomination?
If you don’t have a world policeman, self appointed or not, then you have a void.
I'm struggling with this world policeman riddle BW

Is it the Avengers?

Maxwell Smart's Control?

Actually in your last post you suggested it was someone who fights against ISIS - is it Syria? Iraq?

Still no nomination?

There's no vacancy. There's no 'void'.

The United Nations was formed in 1945 to facilitate peaceful outcomes. It's the closest thing we have to a global authority. However, its power and efficacy has been critically undermined by the major powers of the world, not least the US.

US is not the 'global policeman'.
And if they are they doing a dreadful job of it,I think the USA have shown by their inaction on Israel they are no longer fit to be global policemen.

I think Israel had a right to defend it,s citizens but it is at least 4 mths since they have shown their intention and since it has become obvious they are going kill as many Palestinians as they can get away and since no one is stopping them they will continue this policy.

I think the American,s with there large military aid to both Ukraine and Israel are actually war mongers, in 2014 Ukraine had a neutral govt and the Russians were content with that and the Russians at that time actually had hopes of joining NATO themselves but the Americans led by Neuland installed a puppet govt in Ukraine and Putin could see the writing on the wall.

Russia will beat Ukraine soon they have already defeated NATO and tbh they would probably put the cleaners through the USA also and the Chinese are just watching it all unfold and growing stronger by the day and to be honest I am actually not sure the Chinese will be a worse "Global Policeman" than the USA because if you look seriously at the Americans record since WW2 they do not have a history of Altruism.It is about what is good for America first and foremost and stuff anyone else who gets in their way.

Since Oct 7th the Americans have lost so much credibility worldwide they have become a laughing stock you only need to see Yellen and Blinken,s performance in China to see how little regard they are held in and how thoroughly the deserve this.

A response by Bibi to the issue of arrest warrants. It'd be worth a laugh if everything he said wasn't so utter repugnant.

What is there to say after such a diatribe as that and still he is insisting that Israel has the most moral army what a joke, repugnant is not the word for him I think evil and vindictive better describe him.

He should have been on Monty Python how he can say such things with a straight face is beyond me,his moral army has shot more hostages than the Palestinians have aside from 7th oct and they did it while the hostages were waving white flags which in itself should give people an insight into the most moral army out there.

the Russians have killed far less civilians in the Ukraine in 2yrs than Israel has in 6 mths in Palestine.

After the game last night, I was waiting for grand-daughter who is working there. Well after the game there was this couple with a young boy about 12.

He was yelling at the woman, 'come back here', 'what do you thing you are doing', listen to what I say, come back', 'don't you dare walk away from me'. All this after standing for a minute in support of domestic violence. Police approached him then went looking for the woman, most of the surrounding lights were off, was pretty dark. Felt sorry for the young boy who was sitting down with his head in his hands.

Left the ground about 11.45, they were still there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back