Mega Thread All things positive (the Rainbow connection) thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has any other team kicked 12 in a quarter v GWS this season so far? :cool:
I think we are starting to see little bits of a team starting to get to know each other . That 2nd quarter v the blues i thought we gave it to them and they didn't like it. Just didn't hurt them on the score board ,but take out the errors and miskicks etc , was the best i think they have put in all season .
Be nice to see our forward line out there but thems the breaks.
Our defence could be forgiven for thinking they are at dunkirk , poor buggers .
I liked them being man on man against carlton , we looked a lot better , wouldn't mind if they did this for the rest of the season .
Have followed this club for a long time , know a lot of people my age who do as well , we will pay for the mistakes of the last decade , but we will be back . But lets do it the right way and BUILD a winning culture from the top down .

Our late drafting in general has been really good. Add to those Tom McDonald, Dan Nicholson, Michael Evans...if you wanted to look at mid-rounders on top of that throw in Howie and Maximus.

Our late drafting in general has been really good. Add to those Tom McDonald, Dan Nicholson, Michael Evans...if you wanted to look at mid-rounders on top of that throw in Howie and Maximus.

We do a good job of botching up the premium picks. I'm struggling to think of a recent top 5 pick we've had who has lived up to expectation.

2012: Toumpas - we shall see
2009: Scully - didn't do much, off to GWS but we got a pretty good compo package
2009: Trengove - still time but fair to say hasn't come on anything like we'd hoped
2008: Watts - again still time but he should really have nailed a spot down by now
2007: Morton -
2003: Sylvia - some would say dud (me), others will say talented but lacking consistency
2003: McLean - playing his best footy for Carlton

Will be nice to see Dawes out there

Will be nice to see Dawes and Clark operating in the same forward line at some stage later this year

Will be even better see Dawes, Clark and Hogan operating in the same forward line next year

Viney will improve and prove to be a culture changer

Toumpas will develop and provide some class

We still have a couple of unknowns in Taggert and Tynan

Matt Jones has been a nice pick up

Nate Jones continues to shine

Tapscott is on the improve

Our backline has a core of very good players, and once they aren't under siege they will prove solid

Gawn looks a beast

Trengove still has time for dramatic upside

Grimes has been solid

Blease has pace to burn and can only get better

We still have a lot of guys maturing with not many games under their belt yet (Strauss)

The core is there

We do a good job of botching up the premium picks. I'm struggling to think of a recent top 5 pick we've had who has lived up to expectation.

2012: Toumpas - we shall see
2009: Scully - didn't do much, off to GWS but we got a pretty good compo package
2009: Trengove - still time but fair to say hasn't come on anything like we'd hoped
2008: Watts - again still time but he should really have nailed a spot down by now
2007: Morton -
2003: Sylvia - some would say dud (me), others will say talented but lacking consistency
2003: McLean - playing his best footy for Carlton
What part of 'all things positive' don't you get?

o_O

If you just go on footy talent then Jamar Davey Wonna and Jurrah all came in pre season or rookie picks and were all awesome at some point

My positive is that Neeld is (or should be) gradually learning that he doesn't have all the answers straight off the bat.

A couple of judgement calls which were key to his plans have fallen flat so far. He is not infallible with his methods and is learning that this isn't Ocean Grove.

He'll become a better coach for this if given the opportunity. Whether he becomes a good enough coach is the question.

There are never any lines for the bathroom at the MCG for home games. :rainbow:

You can generally catch the first train home without being completely squashed to death by 5000 other people in the carriage.

TBH I still get a buzz out of going to watch us play - it usually dies about five minutes into the first quarter and I get angry for the next three days but the pre-match buzz is fun.

Players I'm excited by - Blease, Clark, Dawes, Evans, Garland, Gawn, Grimes (RIP), Howe, M. Jones, N. Jones, Toumpas, Viney.

(Excluded: Players I'm confused by, fearful for, worried about, actively dislike or have never seen in person. You can work out who fits in what category)

Also interested in the suggestion about having the rock 'n' roll electric blue 70's/80's jumper as our away kit. The all white can GTFO along with the silver monstrosity.

1. By the time Grimes and Clark come back at the latter half of the season (assuming they both have 8-10 week injuries), we still have Brisbane, GC, GWS and the Bulldogs to play. If there is a silver lining in the injury cloud, it's that we might get these two important players back for some possibly (highlight possibly) winnable games. Maybe we can get a bigger scalp before that....maybe?
2. New CEO on the horizon. Let's get it right! And if some hard and rational decisions have to be made...make them.
3. Some mature age recruits really showing some grit, skill and determination.
4. It's his first year, so he'll tire out quite often...but still...Jack f'n Viney. Oh yeah...and Max Gawn!!!! Jeremy Howe!!! Garland!!! Clark!!! Grimes!!! JONESY!
5. An uninterrupted pre-season for Trengove will do him wonders. Fingers crossed.
6. With our full list hopefully fit and firing (pretty much impossible to be completely injury free..Misson has done a wonderful job so far though), some new assistant coaches (which hopefully the club will address at the end of the year), possibly a new senior coach (I would like to give Neeld a bit more time personally), 1 more experienced/semi-talented midfielder (gotta go hard in the draft) and a drizzle of 2-3 years more experience/development/team cohesion...we will rise again!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one that likes the white jumper? Only thing on it that looks ghastly to me is the Webjet logo...

As we are the MFC everything positive is our history, so I'm going to upload last Sundays Footy Flashbacks to youtube which featured our 2000 Qualifying final with Carlton. It should hopefully be up early tomorrow.

Am I the only one that likes the white jumper? Only thing on it that looks ghastly to me is the Webjet logo...
I would love if they just reversed the colours & did the 80's royal blue & brighter red.

Something like that but I don't hate as much as some of the others.

Bet Neeld would love to have Wonna and Jurrah at their peak right now , the missing x-factor??

Oh God yes.

9631_W33.gif

Sounds like Dawes will be a definite in according to Neeld this week, so that's a huge positive, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Will straighten us up a little and bring some leadership to the forward line. If he can snag 2-3 goals that will be handy as well.

Ok so the footy flashbacks video is up for those who couldn't catch it on the weekend, I managed to get it up earlier than expected which is great. Brings back a lot of good memories. Things worth noting are that the episode only featured about 5-10 minutes of footage per quarter except for the final term which is shown in its entirety, Malcolm Blights barracking against us, and the Carlton flogs sticking it in Melbourne supporters faces when they thought they had the game won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back