List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t contributed for years but have continued to read big footy during that time. When you live in Sydney you do get limited information on the West Coast Eagles. Thought I had better get back to contributing again.

I’ve been following the Eagles since 1987 and been a member since 1988. There have been lows and then really good times. This is one of times that I think the Eagles have really nailed the decision to get Tim Kelly. We may have paid overs but my belief is that it will be worth it. This filled the missing piece to the team. The fact that Geelong and the Vic media were so against the trade to us confirms that they really fear the Eagles in 2020. Sort of reminds me of 1994 and we all know what happened that year. We could be looking at the same circumstances in 2020.

Don’t be surprised if the VFL starts discussing the need for a third team in WA...or reallocate Gold Coast to Perth and call them the Golden State Suns.

I haven’t contributed for years but have continued to read big footy during that time. When you live in Sydney you do get limited information on the West Coast Eagles. Thought I had better get back to contributing again.

I’ve been following the Eagles since 1987 and been a member since 1988. There have been lows and then really good times. This is one of times that I think the Eagles have really nailed the decision to get Tim Kelly. We may have paid overs but my belief is that it will be worth it. This filled the missing piece to the team. The fact that Geelong and the Vic media were so against the trade to us confirms that they really fear the Eagles in 2020. Sort of reminds me of 1994 and we all know what happened that year. We could be looking at the same circumstances in 2020.

Don’t be surprised if the VFL starts discussing the need for a third team in WA...or reallocate Gold Coast to Perth and call them the Golden State Suns.

As a fellow Sydney based Eagles supporter the best way to get news is this board.

If the VFL did that , then after 5 years here the Golden State Suns would become the second largest AFL side based in WA.

and im off see you maybe never knowing how their board can be

It's like the zoo, just watch from a safe distance but stay well clear from the monkeys hurling s**t at each other

Even if they do absolutely nothing with Hill..

Saints should just take picks 12+18 after giving up 6+59 and laugh all the way to the bank.

6 spot downgrade for an additional first rounder?

Sheesh.
Nah it’s a 12 spot downgrade for an additional first rounder

Too many folks are concerned that we miss out on a few picks in the draft this year and next. Relax.

Just identify which of the top end picks are WA boys and "form a relationship" with them like we did with Kelly 4 years ago. Then trade them in down the track. Too easy.

Is cripps having kids with a wa girl soon and then wanting to come home from carlton?

If not send over a few west Aussie ladies and start planning for 2-3 years down the track 😏

What about rookie listing a different Bennell - Michael that plays for Perth

Tore the Beagles a new one in the season opener but looking at his stats looks like he fell away a bit as the year progressed.

Might be worth a look

Too soft. He did well in the 1st quarter in the state game against SA, then they put the clamps on him. After that, he went missing big time. He has no contested game at all.

We are unlikely to do other trades. Assuming Kelly comes in for Masten, who is our best midfield option outside the best 22? FWIW I think it is Ah Chee who will be 26 in December.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not the right thread but I'd be interested in hearing who was responsible at South Freo for getting guys like Kelly and Pickett into the club and see if we can create a position for them to find us some more talent. They've unearthed a couple of gems. Are there more to be unearthed?

Recruiters from rival clubs were understood to be gobsmacked by the trade, largely because next generation academy prospect Liam Henry is a good chance to be bid on in the top 10, which would eliminate the Dockers next selection (Pick 12, if attained from the Saints).

In short, Fremantle would not be able to get Henry and also use Picks 12 and 18 from the Saints.

I absolutely understand what all that means and it makes perfect sense to me.

:huh:

Can anybody explain how gws cover the points required if Tom green gets bid on at pick 7 and they only have picks 50/69 & 60?
They will get picks for Paton - hearing that they will want something decent from Hawks. I would see Paton for 30 as fair. The Scully trade was a real anomaly given his ankle. Paton as a KPF should be at least a second rounder.

In addition, Bonner is tipped to move as he is depth as a inside mid and still rated highly

2016 - we nearly rookie listed Kelly
2017 - we nearly drafted Kelly but Geelong jumped in just before us
2018 - we nearly traded for Kelly but baulked at 20,22 and a future first

Hindsight is wonderful and armed with it, we’d have done things differently so I feel that we didn’t want to risk 2019 be another nearly. Might explain why we went a little bit further in negotiations

The decision not to rookie him in 2016 is the one that should haunt those responsible. Drafting Brander and Allen ahead of Kelly and walking away from the trade last year are both defensible but Gorter over Kelly not so much

We could have got Ryan with a rookie pick the year before we got him but (unlike Kelly) we managed to draft him.

It seems that most of these rough gems being picked up a little later than other players are Indigenous guys who have taken a bit later to develop for varying reasons (homesickness, etc.). Some like Stack it was better for him to be drafted by a non-WA team.

Is there any more lurking in the WAFL somewhere we can get with the picks we have left?

Last edited:
Considering that Simmo indicated we would try to get back into the draft, I wonder what we're considering. Can't see us parting with any younger players as nobody has requested trades/other teams have not enquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back