List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melting that we now miss out on a speculative 18 year old in the 30s is a bit much.

How is that what we’ve missed? We missed out on a kid in the teens, another kid somewhere from 1-18 next year, a kid in the 20s and ONE kid in the 30s.

For arguments sake 14, 14, 24, 33 or picks very close has been used recently to get:
Duggan, brander, Allen, Petch/Foley/ains

Would you be happy to trade that collective of players for kelly? When all is said and done when we look back at the careers of those taken we will not be ahead with Kelly’s 5-7 years, that is almost guaranteed.

This trade is only a success if we grab another premiership in the next 2-3 years and kelly is integral. There’s a bit of pressure there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My biggest concern is that Kelly is a one hit wonder. If we got 5 years of a guy that is actually as good as Dangerfield then we would be laughing, but he isn't at that level. I'm not expecting him to be a dud but Angus Brayshaw polled 21 Brownlow votes last year and 0 this year. Rory Laird polled 19 last year and 2 this year. Shane Edwards and Shaun Higgins were in the AA side last year, where were they this year?

If you play Kelly on-ball he will be better than this year. Lucky Adam Simpson knows how to coach.

Simon Goodwin is incompetent coach and played Brayshaw on the wing. Plus Melbourne just stank.

Fair trade in the end, I think a few (not all) WCE posters were probably buying into the whole 'uncontracted' narrative a bit too much and convinced themselves that in the end Geelong would simply take whatever the Eagles deemed fit to give, hence the disappointment when the trade turned out the way most of us thought it would all along.

You lot won't be disappointed come next year when you see him in action though.

i just dont understand why people are melting. We havent given up 3 picks inside the top 10. A pick in the teens, twenties and 30’s. Big whoop.

It's risky. All our eggs in one basket. We've paid a price for someone with 2 years of football at AFL level.

You'd be wanting him to keep his A grade output up as a minimum for what we've paid.

The usual slow starting of recruits like Jetta, Redden and Wellingham (idiot trampoline) can't happen with Kelly.

Is nobody concerned about the pressure the blokes going to have on him to perform and keep his body right?

How is that what we’ve missed? We missed out on a kid in the teens, another kid somewhere from 1-18 next year, a kid in the 20s and ONE kid in the 30s.

For arguments sake 14, 14, 24, 33 or picks very close has been used recently to get:
Duggan, brander, Allen, Petch/Foley/ains

Would you be happy to trade that collective of players for kelly? When all is said and done when we look back at the careers of those taken we will not be ahead with Kelly’s 5-7 years, that is almost guaranteed.

This trade is only a success if we grab another premiership in the next 2-3 years and kelly is integral. There’s a bit of pressure there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because most seemed to accept 14, 24 and next years first but are melting that we included 33 as well

We currently only have two selections in the national draft (52, 64). My understanding was all teams must take three selections in the national draft? Can someone confirm?

I can only assume that West Coast are now / have to trade back into the 2019 draft some how.
Yes. We must take three picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we got Kelly and gave up: 14, 24, 37 and future 20-odd.

I’m ******* stoked with that. I know it’s a lot of picks but the potential strike rate of those picks is fairly slim outside of 14.

Kelly is a star. I don’t know why people keep saying things like ‘what if Richard Tambling’s us’ or ‘one year wonder’ etc. He very very clearly is a quality player and thrives in the AFL. With more years in the system and his prime years now, I can’t see how he regresses. Will compliment our midfield tidily.

One thing though, it seems contract status means bugger all

WC value culture and players..We dont treat players as trading cards

Clubs that do and squabble over draft picks trying to screw rival teams are ironically the ones you find in the bottom half of the ladder ie freo
This.

Kelly mentioned in his presser that he knew for quite a while that West Coast is the right environment for him and his family.

The club valuing him much more than just numbers in a draft would be part of the reason that he refused to even consider Fremantle.

We have a very good culture at the club and that starts at the top, despite what Big Nose may say.

It's risky. All our eggs in one basket. We've paid a price for someone with 2 years of football at AFL level.

You'd be wanting him to keep his A grade output up as a minimum for what we've paid.

The usual slow starting of recruits like Jetta, Redden and Wellingham (idiot trampoline) can't happen with Kelly.

Is nobody concerned about the pressure the blokes going to have on him to perform and keep his body right?

No.

We currently only have two selections in the national draft (52, 64). My understanding was all teams must take three selections in the national draft? Can someone confirm?

I can only assume that West Coast are now / have to trade back into the 2019 draft some how.

‘(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.10(b), 12.4(b), 13.4(b) and 14.4(d)); and’

Answered my own question.

So currently we are in breach of the national draft rules.

I've always thought of Shuey as a goal kicking mid for some reason but looking at the stats he really hasn't been since 14/15
He's too busy being a midfield workhorse along with Yeo. With Kelly here, hopefully he can rotate forward a bit more and prolong his career.

Our mids would be celebrating today having such a high quality addition to take on some of our stoppage workload.

Good stay away from Patty Cripps.

Kelly will be a norm smith medallist in 2020 or 2021. You guys will be fine.

‘(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.10(b), 12.4(b), 13.4(b) and 14.4(d)); and’

Answered my own question.

So currently we are in breach of the national draft rules.
I’m pretty sure that you just get another pick at the end of the draft if you don’t have enough picks to satisfy that 3 pick criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back