Amazon's "The Test"

Remove this Banner Ad

Am i the only one that thinks Langer and the coaching staff in general dont add much value going off the documentary so far (first 3 eps). Just speak in clichés really. Certainly given weight to Chappelli's classic 'coach drives the bus to the game' line.

I'm 5 episodes in and my main taking is the meetings would do my head in.

Some Takeaway points:

- Before Labuschagne made any runs he was being borderline bullied from most team mates
- Punter should have gone even harder at Warner after that atrocious innings against India in the WC
- Have some new insight into why M Marsh is always picked. Jovial and no ego.
- Khawaja doesn't seem to be able to take criticism or instruction too well which probably hinders him in taking that next step as a player.
- Lyon plays every game like its his last. Endearing to watch how nervous he gets ALL THE TIME.

Some Takeaway points:

- Before Labuschagne made any runs he was being borderline bullied from most team mates
- Punter should have gone even harder at Warner after that atrocious innings against India in the WC
- Khawaja doesn't seem to be able to take criticism or instruction too well which probably hinders him in taking that next step as a player.
- Lyon plays every game like its his last. Endearing to watch how nervous he gets ALL THE TIME.

Agree with all of this. When Khawaja was going on about how nobody tells him what to do it made things crystal clear.

Watched 3 episodes and enjoyed it. Graeme Hick is the batting coach, I haven't heard him say anything about the batting collapses. I am sure he contributes something at meetings, would like to know what it is.

My biggest take away from the 1st 2 eps is that there was a grand total of 1 effective tactic across the whole of the England ODI series and UAE test series and it was Khawaja reverse sweeping. A tactic he came up with by himself in spite of the coaches.

The coaches just spend so much time talking about nothing, it must be so exhausting. I understand the emotional talks make better TV than the tactical ones so we are more than likely missing those important aspects but they really seem to lose their meaning when it's just meeting after meeting about effort and "wanting it".

Saker actually raised a point about it not being a process thing in the England ODI series and it was moreso the skill was just lacking so much and no one seemed to take any notice and then Haddin started waffling on about them not wanting to be in the contest enough.

My other takeaway is my god SMarsh is absolutely jacked. I didn't realise how big he is.

this type of thing is why I roll my eyes when the likes of Haddin, Klinger, Voges, and in the past, Lehmann and Langer, go straight into coaching and at a high level. It's impossible for me to believe those guys are able to actually offer good 'coaching', as opposed to droning on about "effort" and "hard work" and so forth

Interesting how literally not one word was mentioned about Warner’s atrocious Ashes series and his obvious mental capitulation against Broad
They skipped over heaps of stuff that didn't show the Australian team in a favourable light:

- David Saker quitting half way through the MCG test
- Handscomb's and Finch's droppings from the Test team v India (they touched on Finch's through an off-handed comment from Langer)
- Starc's form during the India series.
- The bowlers v Paine arguments about bowling plans from day 1 of the SCG test.
- Renshaw's concussion and subsequent non-selection in the UAE
- World Cup squad selection and how Turner and Handscomb were left out despite their India series form
- Zampa getting dropped during the World Cup
- Then as you said, the biggest one was Warner's Ashes. Especially considering they showed the footage of him talking to Ponting pre-World Cup saying he doesn't need to hit as many balls as when he was younger so spends less time training. He talked about not feeling comfortable in the World Cup which was interesting insight but then when we got to the Ashes there was nothing apart from his 1st dismissal where he blew up in the change rooms about getting out to something he'd been training for "every day".

I stand by my watching it with a grain of salt comment from the start of this thread. Despite that, if you can remember they've made it to make the Aus team look good then it is an enjoyable watch.

Last edited:
Just binged the whole lot and it's one of the better produced and directed Cricket features I've ever seen.

A few things I'll mention now...

They went over how they "****ed up" the last 15 overs of Headingly... that was probably what they needed and brilliant leadership from Langer to get them to own up to their mistakes and move past it which seemed to be the catalyst to a strong performance in the next test to officially retain the Ashes.

Ponting in the WC as a coach inspired the team to a new height in the pool stages, and showed how the two injuries of SMarsh and Khawaja really derailed Australia in those games against SA then the semi against England.

I did enjoy seeing Langer get softer into the role of the coach as time went on, but his comment on "I'd like to have 10 West Australians in the team" was worrisome haha

Surprised they didn't show more of the "party" of retaining the Ashes... then that disastrous decision from Paine to bowl first in the last test after winning the toss... big dampener on a fantastic Test series.

Overall, it's 100% worth the watch if you follow the Aussie cricket team.

Just binged the whole lot and it's one of the better produced and directed Cricket features I've ever seen.

A few things I'll mention now...

They went over how they "f’ed up" the last 15 overs of Headingly... that was probably what they needed and brilliant leadership from Langer to get them to own up to their mistakes and move past it which seemed to be the catalyst to a strong performance in the next test to officially retain the Ashes.

Ponting in the WC as a coach inspired the team to a new height in the pool stages, and showed how the two injuries of SMarsh and Khawaja really derailed Australia in those games against SA then the semi against England.

The last 15 overs discussion was really interesting, Langer was basically saying what all of us at home were saying - why were they letting Stokes constantly get a single on the last ball etc, was really interesting to see how Paine just didn't get it.

Ponting was brilliant when he was coaching and talking. The players basically treated him like some kind of demi-god. Shows the level of respect the guy has, that he was basically held over and above guys like Langer.

I think if Ponting wanted to put in the time he'd be a brilliant full time coach, i just don't think he wants the headache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was basically - "wow that Labuschagne is a bit of a knob! Smithy is the only one that puts up with him! lol". Two innings later he is the golden child.

That bit with Mitch Marsh playing the drums and had everyone in stitches. then the moment Langer walks in he is practicing his technique was hilarious.

Am i the only one that thinks Langer and the coaching staff in general dont add much value going off the documentary so far (first 3 eps). Just speak in clichés really. Certainly given weight to Chappelli's classic 'coach drives the bus to the game' line.

I think JL is ok for a new team, i mean literally Paine didn't seem to know the fundamentals of keeping the set batsman on strike at the end of an over.

I also think they held back a fair bit of the analysis, even back in the 00's players were getting access to the hawkeye for all opposition batsman. So you can say, look at the last 1000 deliveries Kolhi has faced and work out the areas to avoid.

the stats they showed were literally worse than you'd get on cricinfo. So obviously the team has better stuff available they didn't want to show.

Some Takeaway points:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. You can tell he was unliked a lot at the start, even Langer meeting him at the original 25 man squad before the Ashes looked a bit awkward inside the hotel lobby.

Also was genuinely shocked that Langer had no idea that Paine was going to bowl first at The Oval. Surely this is something so standard that you would make your team aware of as part of the game plan? Just really shocked by that and really dampened the series a lot for us.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. You can tell he was unliked a lot at the start, even Langer meeting him at the original 25 man squad before the Ashes looked a bit awkward inside the hotel lobby.

Also was genuinely shocked that Langer had no idea that Paine was going to bowl first at The Oval. Surely this is something so standard that you would make your team aware of as part of the game plan? Just really shocked by that and really dampened the series a lot for us.
Langer thought Paine was going to bat first as it had already been discussed and decided on. At the toss, Paine changed his mind.

I clearly watched it differently to you guys as I came away with way more respect for Khawaja than before I watched it. I think he made Langer a way better coach by being honest early on as you could see Langer adapt his coaching to individuals rather than the conform or leave idea he was pushing early on.

I clearly watched it differently to you guys as I came away with way more respect for Khawaja than before I watched it. I think he made Langer a way better coach by being honest early on as you could see Langer adapt his coaching to individuals rather than the conform or leave idea he was pushing early on.
oh he had utility in being the contrary point to Langer's approach and the ultimate rounding of Langer's coaching style... but everything else he did/said in that documentary just made him seem like a petulant child.

Don’t think I would want to play under Langer and I found myself agreeing with Khawaja. Ponting would be an absolute dream coach on the other hand 😍

Great documentary but you have to remember it's a commercial enterprise and the main focus is the story of redemption, from South Africa to retaining the Ashes. It isn't supposed to document everything that happened to the team in that period. That would lessen the power of what was achieved.

IMO they should have stopped when we retained the Ashes - that was the story. Continuing to the let down of the Oval was a mistake in terms of the arc of the narrative. It's a great story and they did a great job telling it.

I especially liked Smith, at the start of the day's getting ready to go out and bat, singing along with the old song used to motivate the England players as they walked out, before he smashed them all over the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back