An Inconvenient Truth About West Australian Football

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1986 the WAFL was probably getting on aggregate 20,000 people to attend a weekend of Football in WA. 4 games at an average of about 5,000. If you were lucky

Subiaco had its record attendance in '86 - 21,088 vs. Claremont on 2 June 1986. There is your wildy innacurate assumption in just one game.

Right through to the start of WCE, WAFL crowds were relatively healthy, and frequently at the capacity of our smaller grounds. 15k at Claremont oval was very tight. Believe me.

I cant see your motivation for belittling the WAFL. It was a great league, right up to the death.

As a proud Westralian it hurts me to the bone when I hear people acknowledge West Coast as the epitome of Western Australian football. It kills me, it kills people who have even the slightest form of intelligence and it kills us Westralian’s with memories. West Coast is not what one would define as a football team in the conventional sense; West Coast is nothing more than a Victoria football Scheme designed to make money for the AFL. To put it in layman’s terms West Coast is a 'cash cow'. What shames me is why do Western Australians go for that team? Why did they jump on that showy model of Victorian football? And more importantly why do they jump so vigorously to defend West Coast? Why do the Western Australians who constantly complain of Victorian bias praise and praise the Victorian Eagles? Can't they see through this fake cash cow?

I believe that West Coast is morally wrong; it is a fact that supporting WCE is logically incorrect. It does not make sense to support a team that left the bloody carcass of the WAFL on the floor, it's simply not right. For starters football and indeed anything is about the past as the past defines who you are; to quote George Orwell 'those who control the past control the future'. This is very true about West Australian football, not one average Western Australian knows anything about local and WA footy. Infact they would know more about Victorian footy than West Australian footy. The History has been erased, according to some football does not predate 1986. West Coast now controls the future of footy in WA and with what job they've done in the past they surely can't be trusted.

Now many of you Western Australians who support the West Coast would claim that your team restored West Australian football to its former glory. Well you are incorrect. It would be true to say West Coast emplaced itself in glory but by saying Western Australia had glory thrusted upon it in 92 and 94 implies that something beneficial to the 'entire' state happened. Could it be that 92 and 94 were the end of football in WA, the day that money hammered the final nail in the WAFLs coffin? 92 and 94 are remembered as the day Western Australia beat the dirty vics. But could it be the day that the Victorians won a hollow victory? Yes, Yes and YES. Victoria won on 94 and 94. They won the battle they beat the WAFL, they beat Western Australia. If you actually look at the numbers it becomes crystal clear how many advantages West Coast had over the rest of the defunct VFL. To start off with draft concessions of which would be never be comprehended in modern day football, zone concessions of the most unfair description and money benefits from other dodgy organisations. This is a well known fact even West Coasters know this but yet they choose to ignore it as sneaky 'Victorian propaganda'. Well to that I have this simple hypothetical to answer. Its 1986, I’m a Western Australian I decide to get some Vics to enter a footy team in the WAFL because it will generate money for my dying comp, I decide to let the vic team be the only team allowed to draft out of its state, I also let that team draft out of other areas. I then get that team called the 'vics' to play against the local WAFL teams who are effectively suburban teams with a talent pool divided into 8 as opposed to Victorian talent divided by 1. Just out of interest how many premierships would that Vic team win? Sound familiar ,that’s the story of West Coast but reversed. It’s obvious that story is not falsified. It is true.

NB: Many of you will say the WAFL was dying but so was the VFL, The VFL was the first team to nationalise that is all.

WEST COAST AND WESTERN AUSTRLIANS: its obvious Infact, unavoidable that your team destroyed Western Australian football. The WAFL remains at the forefront choose a real comp over West Coast. You can see this now, many of you are going to see my point; some will agree infact all will. But you will chose not to think about it. Hoping to avoid it so it might not be true. But it is. The Western Australian Football League for True Westralian’s.

Maybe Geelong will beat West Coast in this year's Granny and then you'll be able to exorcise those demons of '92 and '94.
It sounds like you still wake up screaming in the middle of the night with Eagles' song reverberating around in your dreams and visions of Woosha and Suma high-fiving.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!
We're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!
We're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!!
[Dum! Dum! Dum! De-Dum Dum!]

Maybe Geelong will beat West Coast in this year's Granny and then you'll be able to exorcise those demons of '92 and '94.
It sounds like you still wake up screaming in the middle of the night with Eagles' song reverberating around in your dreams and visions of Woosha and Suma high-fiving.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!
We're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!
We're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!!
[Dum! Dum! Dum! De-Dum Dum!]

I think the demons are rooted too deep by now mate. He is a lost cause. Burn him at the stake. :thumbsu:

What's really giving linga insomnia is the prospect of his Cats meeting a battle hardened Eagles in the grand final.

Every dinkum Cats fan, if they're honest, would be schitting bricks at the thought.

And if linga isn't bitter and twisted already then the prospect of another Cats GF loss to the Eagles is likely to tip him over the edge.

Subiaco had its record attendance in '86 - 21,088 vs. Claremont on 2 June 1986. There is your wildy innacurate assumption in just one game.

Right through to the start of WCE, WAFL crowds were relatively healthy, and frequently at the capacity of our smaller grounds. 15k at Claremont oval was very tight. Believe me.

I cant see your motivation for belittling the WAFL. It was a great league, right up to the death.

Not trying to belittle the WAFL ! The Fact that Subi & Claremont got 20,000 to a game on the long weekend in June does not distract the average attendance for that season was probably 5,000 / game ! I remember 1992 June long weekend on the Monday. South & East was a Lockout at Freo Oval and Swans and East Perth was at nearly full capacity at Bassendean.

Football has grown in WA!

To be fair to Linga... I do kind of symapthise with half his brain.

From the youtube

That last sentence when edited for accuracy should read - "National Expansion looms as the only option to save the more important bastion of Australian Rules Football while the other gets left as an amatuer league where you can park your car on the boundary."

Make no mistake, WA was reamed hard in the early days. Linga is right to be upset, he is just channeling it the wrong way. Perhaps the WAFL & WC should have been more resistant, like the south australians. ... pushed more for equality in the foundations of the new league. But still, it was an enticing carrot for footy nuts and there was lots of drive, money and starry eyes back then.

Dont get mad at WC for eating the poisoned apple... that was human nature. Get mad at the devil that dangled it with no regard for the consequences to "the other" bastion of Australian Rules Football.
the SANFL owned football park and had cash so could hold out for a good deal, WA football existed on the cash it received from selling players to VFL, money which was about to run out. It's no surprise the WAFL took what it could get, to keep their league alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back