Magpie Land
AFL Club
Collingwood
aaAnderson_wideweb__470x311,0.jpg
Mr Unpopular: Adrian Anderson.
Photo: Justin Mcmanus

Anderson: The Fixer

Caroline Wilson | May 21, 2008

YOU'RE not in this job to be popular," the new AFL chief executive, Andrew Demetriou, told his new football boss Adrian Anderson in February 2004.
Eight months later, at the end of Anderson's first season in the job, Demetriou told him: "You've exceeded even my expectations."
Anderson laughs when he tells the story now in this, his first extensive interview with The Age after more than four years and four full and turbulent seasons in the job. Several times over the journey, however, the AFL's most demanding and integral position has been for him no laughing matter.
He was taken to task in the most vitriolic of terms by some senior commentators and accused of indecision, even internally, and then for being too decisive in his rule changes.
He was singled out and pilloried by this newspaper following the Fremantle-St Kilda "sirengate" two seasons ago, attacked by some frustrated coaches for his poor communication skills and even indirectly referred to as "stupid" by Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse during the ever-evolving interchange controversy earlier this season. Anderson, however, says all the pain was worthwhile.
More to the point, had this interview taken place inside the MCG or Telstra Dome and Anderson's style been more aggressive, he might well have pointed upwards and shouted: "Scoreboard!"
"By the end of 2005, the game was more stop-start than ever before and flooding had become prevalent," he said. "Since then, we have introduced six new rules and interpretations, including changing the kick-in rule, stopping the holding up of players after marks and free kicks and a stricter interpretation of holding the ball.
"We've made some changes to the game that have set the framework for some of the greatest games ever seen. I am not taking the credit for that and neither is the AFL. Players and clubs are responsible for the game.
"But we have put in place the framework for it. We have seen a 60% increase in the time the ball is in play. The game is more continuous and more free-flowing and the rule changes have made it harder to flood."
Although he admits his communication skills were not as strong as they could have been to clubs early in the job, and the recent controversy over experimental changes to interchange procedures for the NAB Cup should have been relayed to coaches earlier than late December, he credited his relationship with coaches such as Mark Williams as improving not only football but conditions for players.

"Mark, by eloquently putting forward his case in a very direct fashion, probably led to us correctly protecting players with their heads over the ball. That rule will prevent some player in the future from suffering serious head or neck injuries," he said.
"In 2005, we had one-quarter of the rucks in the competition sitting on the sidelines with PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) injuries. We changed the ruck rule and people complained, but now those injuries are no longer prevalent."
Several years ago, Anderson was moved to ask colleagues and even some journalists how they dealt with savage criticism that came their way. Even Demetriou took him to task — mildly publicly, less so privately — when he stumbled on radio over a question relating to total player payments.
These days, Anderson is significantly more prepared. "Andrew can be direct, but I think that's a good thing. He backs his staff but he expects results. You'd rather know where you stand."
Nowadays, too, Anderson said he is far better emotionally equipped to deal with public scrutiny. He has caught up with Malthouse privately following the Collingwood coach's most recent tongue-lashing, for which Malthouse later apologised.
"Kevin Sheedy told me when I took on this job: 'Just remember mate, controversy is your friend.' I didn't realise it at the time but that was a sage piece of advice… controversy and debate are part of the game.
"I do acknowledge that in some cases, there's a perception that they (AFL coaches) are not listened to enough." A perception or reality? "Do I think we could communicate better? Yes, I do. And I think we are getting better at it."
Anderson's profile in his early years was not helped by his background. Not only was he young at 31 when he took on the job and a successful lawyer, but unlike his two most immediate predecessors, Andrew Demetriou and Ian Collins, he had not played at league level.
Before Collins came popular, roguish and highly experienced club pioneer Alan Schwab and before Schwab, Jack Hamilton — a ruthless Collingwood full-back and a much-loved larger-than-life character.
Not all of those reached the top AFL job but all aspired to it and were all contenders.
Although the AFL was restructured during Wayne Jackson's reign to downgrade the football operations position — then held by Collins — to level with a number of other executive positions, Demetriou reshaped it to a position of influence that, in practical terms, had him virtually running the show alongside Jackson.

Anderson is not seen as an immediate successor to Demetriou, who raised eyebrows at the commission in 2006 when he promoted Gillon McLachlan (broadcasting and commercial operations manager) to the No. 2 post previously held by Football Federation Australia boss Ben Buckley. When Demetriou was in a helicopter in February with National Australia Bank boss Ahmed Fahour and others during a Dubai promotion, the AFL boss commented: "If this goes down, Gillon's in charge."
Demetriou told The Age recently that he deliberately promoted McLachlan over Anderson because of the latter's workload in reshaping the AFL's judicial system, draft and laws of the game in a bid to ease flooding and the growing number of stoppages. And AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, when asked by The Age in February whether he was concerned by "cowboyish" behaviour among his executive, responded in the negative but then took the opportunity, unprompted, to praise the work Anderson had done in reforming the tribunal system, something even Demetriou himself admits he was unable to achieve.
"It was clear to me when I took on the job," Anderson said, "that the structure had already changed. And I had a lot to focus on. We had a judicial system that needed reform that had been running along pretty much the same lines for 100 years and now I think everyone would agree it's far more workable."
Anderson knows there will always be another issue around the corner. This week, it was the interchange fiasco, at the start of the season it was "tanking" and somewhere in between, his decision to spend four weeks overseas with the AFL's blessing to further his studies.
Regarding the priority pick system, which he has also changed, Anderson admits: "I'm not pretending that tanking or talk of tanking doesn't exist. I'm not avoiding the issue and I'm not denying it's an issue. It's a difficult balancing act and one of the fundamentals of our competition is that teams are trying when they go out on the park. But there is a genuine upside and the draft and the salary cap are two key planks to our competition and the draft creates a system where bottom teams get access to the best players."
Anderson said his two key mentors were his father Ken and his wife Fi — he has become both married and a father since joining the AFL.
His father's advice in the worst of times, he says, was simple: "Keep your eye on the ball and get on with it."

Still Think he Should be Sacked Long with his mates in the AFL

Link Here

the only reason he's so unpopular is beacause he's grossly incompetant and an incredibly weak person when in the public light.

The ____er more like it, i cant stand what he is doing to the game. Probably a good bloke, but has done too much damage.

This interchange thing is just another piece of crap that shouldn't be getting done, but hey thats what happens when a great game is being looked after by a Lawyer......

Soon the fans will walk if they keep going with what they are doing!

YOU'RE not in this job to be popular," the new AFL chief executive, Andrew Demetriou, told his new football boss Adrian Anderson in February 2004.
Eight months later, at the end of Anderson's first season in the job, Demetriou told him: "You've exceeded even my expectations."
And every year he continues to beat that benchmark!

His incompetence is astounding!

"We've made some changes to the game that have set the framework for some of the greatest games ever seen. I am not taking the credit for that and neither is the AFL."

Then why are you appearing in an article titled "The Fixer" you little toad.

Looks like Vlad has responded to the calls for Andersons' head from the football world with some well bought positive publicity.

surely his close friends would be giving him a lot of crap for turning this game we love into the Sh#t hole it is today!!

That's if he's got any friends left

"We've made some changes to the game that have set the framework for some of the greatest games ever seen. I am not taking the credit for that and neither is the AFL."

Then why are you appearing in an article titled "The Fixer" you little toad.

And "We've made some changes". What a tool!

Probably a good bloke.
Doubt it....he's a lawyer.

The football public doesn't dislike him for any reason other than his incompetence. This 'objective article' is AFL spin of the worst kind. Caro cops plenty of unwarranted criticism in the public domain, but when puff pieces like this contaminate the sports section of her paper, some of that criticism is hard not to justify.

The football public doesn't dislike him for any reason other than his incompetence. This 'objective article' is AFL spin of the worst kind. Caro cops plenty of unwarranted criticism in the public domain, but when puff pieces like this contaminate the sports section of her paper, some of that criticism is hard not to justify.
Caro is Getting Payed or she loves AA;)

Agreed.........I try very hard to remain objective and even handed about Caro and her football knowledge. Then I see something like this blatant propaganda!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.........I try very hard to remain objective and even handed about Caro and her football knowledge. Then I see something like this blatant propaganda!

Yeah Just Could talk utter s**t on Footy Classified -I nearly was sick hearing her crap:thumbsdown:

Anderson is an abject failure. He has lurched from one stuff up to the next and his interchange alterations stand to be the worst yet. Imagine how deflating it will be to have free kicks and goals awarded over some beuracratic stuff up on the bench!!!

As for Caro, she know nothing about football the game, all she does is wrtie about back-room politics and other supferficial crap. That is why no one respects her.

The scary thing about this is it is the start of the push to have Anderson suceed Demitriou as CEO.

Puff pieces like this are designed to try and paint someone in a fairer light and are usually done via a PR company.

Anderson laughs when he tells the story
What a misguidedly arrogant ____.

I'd offer to punch him in the face if I ever saw him in the street, but from the looks of that head he has copped a few knocks already.

Why is this tool protected? I don't understand why he has not been shown the door.

Simple, Dumbetriou never NEVER admits to mistakes or failings. Anderson is both so he will remain protected, I'd suggest AA has his nose firmly up Dumbetriou's backside.

I've posted this elsewhere but I can see this interchange rule changes as being a huge embarasement in the very near future.......its a ticking time bomb........

Fact of the matter is that the public are voting with their feet re his performance. We're getting along to the footy these days in record numbers. The "brand" of footy is as good as ever, as is evident by the way Geelong took on the competition last year and by how Hawthorn and the dogs are playing this year.

TV rights are the most lucrative in the country and AFL is the number one sport in Oz based on a number of metrics. I'd say he's doing a very good job. I suspect many of the inane rumblings on this thread are from 15 year olds with no understanding that AFL is now a multi multi million dollar business. People in business don't always make decisions to be popular. But if the crowds keep turning up, memberships keep increasing and the corporate dollar is getting on board, I'd say job well done.

I suspect that the high attendances, good football and large TV rights are coincidental with, not the result of, Anderson's work. No different to CEOs of large banks claiming it was their brilliant management that led to huge profit growth in the previous bull market and barnstorming economy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back