Andrew Embley

Remove this Banner Ad

skywalk750 said:
Fletcher ahead of Kerr

Based on what? Doesnt really make sense to me. I reckon Fletcher is the least effective of the Eagles midfield. Doesnt know how to use the ball to maximum effect. Alot of short, pointless possessions... thats not good for a guy who is constantly on the receiving end.

But Embley... his improvement, from absolutely maligned key forward to where he is today - gun winger / half forward, has been nothing short of amazing.

Gun footballer. It's nice to see fans outside of WC now really starting to rate him because he a very, very good player. Dominated today along with Kerr. Embers will certainly be around the AA mark so far this year.

Prototype midfielder though, tall, agile, quick yet big. Can kick goals and take marks up forward, win the hard ball and can recieve and be damaging by foot. Just a great player and major reason why WC's midfield is so good.

melbournemartin said:
i reckon eagles 2005 midfield is better then the Lions premiership midfields

Flavour of the season changing?

Until this current Eagles team win 3 Premierships, the Lions midfield will always be better.

Andrew Embley, good Swan Districts lad. :)

jod23 said:
Prototype midfielder though, tall, agile, quick yet big. Can kick goals and take marks up forward, win the hard ball and can recieve and be damaging by foot.
Just thought I'd add that he can also tag a Pavlich type player out of the game..
Western Derby anyone :D

As funny as it sounds, I am not as big a fan of Embers as you would expect. I think he is a very good player but he does tend to stuff things up on occasions. Stuffups that Judd, Cousins and Fletcher do not do. He does the hard things very well and the easy things not so well. Today I thought he ran with the ball alittle too long on occasions causing our forwards to be out of position. Like Kerr, he needs to take the first option on more occasions.

Bout time he got his recognition. He has to be pushing for an AA spot this year on a Half Forward Flank or the bench. He is like 12th in the league for marks which is remarkable for a midfielder.

We were strongly considering trading Embley (to Port Adelaide) but we decided to give him one more year to prove himself, and man am i lucky we gave him that opportunity. Hes grabbed it and ran with it, which is a sign of a great player.

143 fantasy footy points for Embley today. He is averaging in the high 90's for the season. A great assett too my FF side.
It's a pity that Port didn't get hold of him when we had the chance. Although he was considered a bit of a hack back then. How times have changed.

silky-smooth said:
If you don't have proper communication or quality support within our team-mates, of course you won't be as good.

20 handball receives (57% of his disposal gets) today meant he received it from players who won the contested footy... if you don't have a quality midfield capable of winning contested footy so much, he won't have as much of the ball because he won't be there to receive it so much from team-mates.

BUT when he does receive it, he is damaging with his forward surges.

Spot on, although if Embley weren't playing as a gun wingman his ability overhead would make him a pretty damn handy third tall forward. Very interesting to contrast the output of Embley and Fletcher in a free flowing, run and gun contest like todays game (lethal) with their roles in a wet weather slog like the one against the bombers last week (limited value).

Embers and Fletch are very much recievers, but hey, that's their job, Embley and Fletcher are receivers and finishers, Cousins is somewhere in between, Kerr and Judd are the ballwinners (although Judd can play pretty much do whatever the hell he wants)

The reason our midfield has worked so well this year is because it has such a nice balance- very good players and depth, but more importantly they are perfectly adapted to the roles-

Wingmen: Embley, Fletcher (quick, fit, great pace and finishing ability)
rover/ruckrover: Kerr, Judd (ball winners extraordinaire)
Centreman: Cousins (composed under pressure, leader, ball magnet)

Chuck in a gun ruckman, two very good utility/bench midfielders in Stenglein and Braun, and a slew of young talent like Butler, Selwood and co, and its just a very very well balanced group- got guys who are all superb at their particular roles.

JuniorBurger said:
It's a pity that Port didn't get hold of him when we had the chance. Although he was considered a bit of a hack back then. How times have changed.
Pity for Port,not for Eagles :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JuniorBurger said:
143 fantasy footy points for Embley today. He is averaging in the high 90's for the season. A great assett too my FF side.

We was a big hack back then. Now he's a big gun. :D

silky-smooth said:
Cousins, Embley, Kerr, Judd and Cox in the Ruck. Is there a better midfield? If so, I'd love to see it.
That's pretty well-established by now.

You forgot Fletcher, Stenglein and Braun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back