News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

So, do we tolerate Islam?

After all, it has some pretty intolerant aspects to it, which some of it's followers consider to be valid.

Muslims in Australia are not pushing the more intolerant elements of their faith on the mainstream community like many high profile Christians, esp in positions of power are or have been doing, that's the difference.

Certainly none of them have run those horrific and tortuous Gay Conversion Camps or shamed women (for whatever season) who had abortions.

Anyhow not all Christians or Catholics need to be tarred with the same brush as Thorburn and his rather unsavoury sect of Church which does seem to go against a lot if what Jesus himself preached (love thy neighbour/look after the poor etc)

Muslims in Australia are not pushing the more intolerant elements of their faith on the mainstream community like many high profile Christians, esp in positions of power are or have been doing, that's the difference.

Certainly none of them have run those horrific and tortuous Gay Conversion Camps or shamed women (for whatever season) who had abortions.

Anyhow not all Christians or Catholics need to be tarred with the same brush as Thorburn and his rather unsavoury sect of Church which does seem to go against a lot if what Jesus himself preached (love thy neighbour/look after the poor etc)

I'd be careful about using absolutes there. I'm sure there are plenty of examples that can be thrown back at you of unsavory acts.

There are plenty of extremists in both camps, and while I disagree with both of them, I also disagree with the guilt by association at play here.

If being a member of a group that has extreme elements to it is enough to have someone sacked for a high profile job, then why doesn't that 'acceptable intolerance' get applied to people who associate with other groups that have extreme elements? Or is one of the things we're supposed to tolerate hypocrisy?

Personally, I think people should be treated as individuals regardless of their religion. If they are overtly racist, sexist, homophobic (etc), then let the laws that already exist deal with them. There are plenty on the books after all. Mob 'outrage' led my vocal activists and media seeking clickbait, causing people to be shunned (cancelled?) however is a poor way to have a fair and open society.

Last edited:
I'd be careful about using absolutes there. I'm sure there are plenty of examples that can be thrown back at you of unsavory acts.

There are plenty of extremists in both camps, and while I disagree with both of them, I also disagree with the guilt by association at play here.

If being a member of a group that has extreme elements to it is enough to have someone sacked for a high profile job, then why doesn't that 'acceptable intolerance' get applied to people who associate with other groups that have extreme elements? Or is one of the things we're supposed to tolerate hypocrisy?

Personally, I think people should be treated as individuals regardless of their religion. If they are overtly racist, sexist, homophobic (etc), then let the laws that already exist deal with them. There are plenty on the books after all. Mob 'outrage' led my vocal activists and media seeking clickbait, causing people to be shunned (cancelled?) however is a poor way to have a fair and open society.
Two simple questions, and I'd appreciate an honest answer because I'd like to see how far your free speech and tolerance goes. -

If he praised Hitler and said Jews will burn in hell would you expect him to resign from Essendon?
If he was found digging up graves and and stealing jewelry from the dead, would you expect him to resign from Essendon?

No word salad, just a straight answer please.

And Muslims who do such things are rightly condemned. It isn’t some persecuting of Christians only, it’s being against bigoted discriminatory views.

Another complete embarrassment for the Essendon FC.

Having to pull your pants down and publicly apologise to a horrible tird like Thorburn is a new low. Completely inflicted on themselves by an utterly incompetant President and Board.

To allow this disgraceful ex Nab Boss and ex Nutbag Church Boss a public victory should be enough to make all decent EFC supporters gears grind.

Don't you post homophobic comments on twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back