Sydney… the biggest club in the land??

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney… the biggest bandwagonest club in the land.

They would need to have a very long period of premiership success to become the biggest.

I was impressed at the amount of people who attended a game at the SCG a few years ago, was packed.

They'll need to play at a far larger stadium though if they want to be the 'biggest' club in Australia.

Also, he might be overestimating the support level by not considering Sydney's population dynamic. Heaps of immigrants in the inner suburbs who don't follow AFL whilst local Australians leave Sydney for cheaper places.
Inner suburbs, East and West, are where the support lies for AFL, for both the Swans and Giants. Northern suburbs strong as well.

Last edited:
Attending regular sporting events isn’t part of the Sydney culture. They go to big spectacular happenings, rather than home and away football matches ( in any code). They fill the stadium for SOO but virtually never get more that 25K for even a high level regular season NRL game.
But I was at the amended Olympic stadium when the Pies attracted more than 72K. If the SCG held 80K, they’d probably average a much more respectable number for as long as they were a successful team.

Definitely not out of the question..
Swans are a very well run club/business in the biggest city in Australia. GWS are decades behind.
Membership is growing every year, Game attendances are solid, but the highest in Sydney of any sport, likely 35000+ in 2024 (nb. the opposition supporters have to travel inter-state which significantly reduces this total).
Up until recently, the Swans would request Sat arvo games (no other teams wanted this time slot) - The amount of families taking their small kids was huge, continuing the growth of the game into the future...
Regular on-field success

The growth of AFL over the last 20 years continues to rise.
Rugby Union has fallen off the map. There are many private schools that used to be dedicated to Rugby union and are now dedicated to AFL. Plenty of questions parents ask before signing their kids up to rugby league.
20 years ago, there was no local comps - as a kid, I couldn't play AFL, now they are everywhere.

1.2m supportters - Collingwood had more in 2023 when they won the flag.
I dont know how they get this number, but TV audiences would play a big part.

Massive, continuing growth of AFL in Sydney (and NSW), The biggest city, Well run club, demise of rugby union, questions about rugby league....
In terms of revenue, crowds, TV crowds, $$ turnover, Sponsorship, members / supporters....
Swans becoming the biggest sporting Club in Australia is not out of the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not out of the question..
Swans are a very well run club/business in the biggest city in Australia. GWS are decades behind.
Membership is growing every year, Game attendances are solid, but the highest in Sydney of any sport, likely 35000+ in 2024 (nb. the opposition supporters have to travel inter-state which significantly reduces this total).
Up until recently, the Swans would request Sat arvo games (no other teams wanted this time slot) - The amount of families taking their small kids was huge, continuing the growth of the game into the future...
Regular on-field success

The growth of AFL over the last 20 years continues to rise.
Rugby Union has fallen off the map. There are many private schools that used to be dedicated to Rugby union and are now dedicated to AFL. Plenty of questions parents ask before signing their kids up to rugby league.
20 years ago, there was no local comps - as a kid, I couldn't play AFL, now they are everywhere.

1.2m supportters - Collingwood had more in 2023 when they won the flag.
I dont know how they get this number, but TV audiences would play a big part.

Massive, continuing growth of AFL in Sydney (and NSW), The biggest city, Well run club, demise of rugby union, questions about rugby league....
In terms of revenue, crowds, TV crowds, $$ turnover, Sponsorship, members / supporters....
Swans becoming the biggest sporting Club in Australia is not out of the question.
There's no doubt Sydney has been a big success. I'm not sure about the reasoning for SMFC to move but it's turned out to be a great decision. I think Sydney being a very competitive team for the past 20 years has certainly helped along with other things most notably signing Buddy Franklin. I don't think they could be the biggest club but certainly one of the most envied.

Attending regular sporting events isn’t part of the Sydney culture. They go to big spectacular happenings, rather than home and away football matches ( in any code). They fill the stadium for SOO but virtually never get more that 25K for even a high level regular season NRL game.
But I was at the amended Olympic stadium when the Pies attracted more than 72K. If the SCG held 80K, they’d probably average a much more respectable number for as long as they were a successful team.
They do seem to have attracted a dedicated fan base of what appears to be well heeled types from the eastern suburbs
They've done well carving out a strong place on the NSW sporting landscape.

Yeah. Nah.

Who are they fixtured against, in what time slots and in what days?

And MCG does matter, people are creatures of habit, a Pies supporter knows they can go to the MCG 14-15 times a year to see their team play.
Yeah. Yeah.

It doesn't matter who we are fixtured against. We drew 60k+ against Freo, Port and Adelaide and 71k against Sydney. Also 98k against GWS in the finals.

We would have had 100k higher attendance if the AFL didn't schedule multiple home games, like Brisbane in R23, at Marvel.

15 of the top 30 attendances last year were Collingwood.

TopAFL.jpg

Attachments

• TopAFL.jpg
    TopAFL.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 15
Yeah. Yeah.

It doesn't matter who we are fixtured against. We drew 60k+ against Freo, Port and Adelaide and 71k against Sydney. Also 98k against GWS in the finals.

We would have had 100k higher attendance if the AFL didn't schedule multiple home games, like Brisbane in R23, at Marvel.

View attachment 1907665
Interesting that there were no other Victorian teams v. Interstate teams that weren't finals in that list, and there were 4 for Collingwood.

Yeah. Yeah.

View attachment 1907665

Collingwood are a huge club everyone knows this. But don't tell us their numbers when they are on top. Tell us the numbers when you are at the bottom. That is what really shows a clubs size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back