Sydney… the biggest club in the land??

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we know why they do it, but they absolutely no proof what so ever fixturing differently would bring in less money.
Yes they do. The TV companies know exactly when the most people are sitting on their arses at home and when they are not. That's why they call it prime time and they literally pay the AFL more to televise night games than day games and twilight games.

It's not collingwoods decision when or where they play it should be the AFL's decision.
And I didn't say play any more games on any days I pointed out that you are so big and powerfull it should not matter when you play.

Do you think it matters when or where you play? Would it bother you playing Geelong at Geelong? Hawthorn in Tassie? and if it does bother you why does it?
It wouldn't bother me, but I think it would bother 7, they pay the big $$ and they make a lot of the decisions.

It wouldn't bother me, but I think it would bother 7, they pay the big $$ and they make a lot of the decisions.

And that is all my point is, the League should never ever of let the TV stations have that power. They should of done a deal that said we do the fixture, we do the timeslots and you then bid what you will give us to broadcast our fair product.

Anyway we are here now.
Back on original point which is Collingwood are a big club but they get a huge leg up on all other clubs and don't have to work that hard to maintain it.
And again we all know that also.

So you are need special timeslots to get the crowds and views you think you get because you are so big?
Huh?

Regardless of the timeslot Collingwood are given, they will have the most people watching.

Collingwood v. Team A on Friday night = 700,000 viewers;

Team B v. Team C on Sunday Twilight = 200,000 viewers;

Team B v. Team C on Friday night = 400,000 viewers;

Collingwood v. Team A on Sunday Twilight = 400,000 viewers.

Net loss of 100,000 viewers due to Collingwood playing on Sunday Twilight instead of Friday night.

Huh?

Regardless of the timeslot Collingwood are given, they will have the most people watching.

Net loss of 100,000 viewers due to Collingwood playing on Sunday Twilight instead of Friday night.

So you are saying the AFL lose money on the Friday nights collingwood don't play in? That is just absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would I, but they do, that's how the AFL deals with them, and that's why we play 14 games EVERY year at the MCG, because the AFL have contracts and Collingwood are used to bargain for those contracts.

Yes I know. No such contract should exist in a football competition. But it does and has for a long time.

And you know what those contracts mean, don't you?
Money, lots of money, change them contracts and small clubs could be in a lot of trouble.

Like I said before when you have never fixtured any other way you have no proof that would be the case. they can say they do but they don't know. They just don't want to find out.

Like I said before when you have never fixtured any other way you have no proof that would be the case. they can say they do but they don't know. They just don't want to find out.
But they do know, because the people that are dealing with them tell them.

The MCC TOLD the AFL what they wanted so Non- Vics could play finals at their home grounds, the contract was to play all finals at the MCG, Collingwood were part of that deal.
Would you like to go back to playing ALL finals at the MCG?

May I ask mate how you know that? I certainly don't know. But over the years the clubs who have always been popular here are the bombers, the Blues, and the cats. funny enough the Kangaroos have a huge support in Perth, goes back to the Glendenning, Krakouer brother days.
Without knowing I would say the Roos based on what i have seen at games over the years. But like I said I don't actually know.

And then I watch the Eagles as they travel the country and they always seem to have a healthy support network everywhere they go.

Good for the game if all clubs have good visible crowds at all venues.
X CEO Xavier Campbell mentioned it during the build-up to the Dreamtime game held in Perth back in 2021..

But they do know, because the people that are dealing with them tell them.

The MCC TOLD the AFL what they wanted so Non- Vics could play finals at their home grounds, the contract was to play all finals at the MCG, Collingwood were part of that deal.
Would you like to go back to playing ALL finals at the MCG?

I know all this, I am saying it shouldn’t be in place. The AFL should of said * the MCG

Huh?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you can't pull numbers square out of your arse and then use those numbers to prove your point.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you can't pull numbers square out of your arse and then use those numbers to prove your point.
The basic principle is moving Collingwood from prime time to Sunday Twilight is a net loss in viewers, which is what I stated originally.

I pulled numbers 'out of my ass' to explain the concept to a poster who was struggling to understand it.

A massive double edged sword is the local state requirements (i.e for WA, SA, NSW and QLD teams) in the TV rights

It is obviously great for supporters of those teams who live in their own states but it is a massive disincentive for the FTA broadcaster to request those teams in the national slots.

If you didn't have that requirement then the Showdown and WA Derby would attract far higher national interest now

Haha Yes their ratings system. Thats about 40% acurate at most. But yes thats what they go off.

OK, don't believe the ratings.

Tell me why the TV stations 100%, unequivocally, with absolute certainty, pay more to the AFL for the rights to night games than day and twilight games?

Hint: the TV stations are businesses and they generate income by selling advertising which is worth more when more people are watching the screen.

Last edited:
The basic principle is moving Collingwood from prime time to Sunday Twilight is a net loss in viewers, which is what I stated originally.

I pulled numbers 'out of my ass' to explain the concept to a poster who was struggling to understand it.
Why not use actual numbers then? That would prove your principle is actually correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back