Sydney… the biggest club in the land??

Remove this Banner Ad

So you are saying the AFL lose money on the Friday nights collingwood don't play in? That is just absurd.

Not Collingwood specifically, but I dare say the media rights go for more because the AFL agrees to fixture with one of their goals being to maximise viewers. (presumably there is an agreement to 'consult' the broadcaster on such things, and some KPIs involved).

I'd also add that the AFL (not the clubs) gets more money if they cumulative attendance at the MCG exceeds certain levels, so you can be assured that it's in their interest that Collingwood Vs Carlton is going to be in a slot that will maximise attendances too.

It's not fair, but I can understand that it's part of the balance between a 'fair comp' (something that can never be fully achieved, but should be striven for) and a 'commercially successful entity' (and considering some of the financial issues in soccer/rugby currently, this is very important too).

I'd be a lot more accepting though if the benefits were shared more evenly however (e.g. clubs benefiting from being in the high profile slots get less $$$ while those playing Sunday afternoons (etc) get a bit more).

OK, don't believe the ratings.

Tell me why the TV stations 100%, unequivocally, with absolute certainty, pay more to the AFL for the rights to night games than day and twilight games?

Hint: the TV stations are businesses and they generate income by selling advertising which is worth more when more people are watching the screen.

No issue with any of that, but for a league to think that no other teams other than a select few will be watched is just ridiculous. And that you and others think this also is mind boggling.

There's a 'Melbourne' in the NRL?

Yes. Most supported NRL team

The Melbourne Storm have again topped the ladder as the most widely supported NRL club in 2023 with 1,197,000 supporters, an increase of 34,000 (+2.9%) on a year ago to just edge out a resurgent Brisbane Broncos in second place with 1,150,000 supporters, up 94,000 (+8.9%) in a year.

This is just more media beat ups to start something.

Typical of these so called “journos” who love to make an issue when there isn’t one

Essendon are going fine, still a way to go but on the right path

Remove this Banner Ad

Back