Andy D calls for James Hird to consider stepping down

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
About what specifically and why?
seriously....mmm. lets go off to a compounding chemist and ask for this recipe to be made up and then inject to our blokes..grrrr.

if its not a tga approved product, it hasnt gone through the channels to be registered for use on humans in australia.so, wtf would you inject it into healthy young male bodies.

We also have to keep in mind that AD did not call for Hird to stand down. He said it would be an option that Hird could or should consider.
I know non-Essendon supporters find this all morbidly intriguing, but please try to discuss this with some sort of objectivity in mind.

And here comes Bomber Thompson for senior coaching again.

Mind you, from James Hird's perspective, wouldn't it make him feel like he was admitting guilt if he stepped aside temporarily? If he maintains his innocence, it would be silly for him to step aside.

Finding out about was interesting it but now the media as a whole seem to be churning out crap in order to maintain interest. The way the media have handled this scenario is very distasteful and there seems to be a lot of unnerving glee in these articles about the possibility of Essendon been punished. I'd rather not see another cellar dweller club and I'd want Essendon to hopefully be found innocent and clear so we can focus more on the on-field side of football. Off-field stories become boring and tiresome with a lot of crap usually been spun to maintain focus when nothing is actually been found or developing.

The media are the media. Ravenous beasts. Hated by most. Rightly so.

Essendon need to quit the cover up and start earning respect back. They have a chance to do that by standing Hird down , pending investigation, then addressing the problems honestly with the Ziggy Report.

If they don't, i suggest the AFL will.

The footy public is fed up with being fed bulltish.

What Essendon have been exposed as doing is unacceptable.

Mind you, from James Hird's perspective, wouldn't it make him feel like he was admitting guilt if he stepped aside temporarily? If he maintains his innocence, it would be silly for him to step aside.
No. By stepping aside temporarily, it is letting a process take its course and is admitting no guilt whatsoever. if anything, it is the honourable thing to do and certainly not an admission of any guilt.

I'd want Essendon to hopefully be found innocent and clear so we can focus more on the on-field side of football.
I don't - I hope they are found guilty and punished, not to the point were they are ruined as a club, but to a point where their season is effectively over (eg 50 point penalty on the ladder this year and 20 points next year). Regardless of the substances used and abused Hird and co have taken football to a place where no football fan wants football to go.

We also have to keep in mind that AD did not call for Hird to stand down. He said it would be an option that Hird could or should consider.
I know non-Essendon supporters find this all morbidly intriguing, but please try to discuss this with some sort of objectivity in mind.

Come on. There is no doubt now Hird will be forced to step down.

I don't believe he should have to unless something illegal is proven.

But the media have the taste of blood now, they won't stop until he goes and the AFL hates nothing more than the constant focus on the negative issues.

Unfortunately this is how the AFL works.

He will be gone by Monday.

I don't - I hope they are found guilty and punished, not to the point were they are ruined as a club, but to a point where their season is effectively over (eg 50 point penalty on the ladder this year and 20 points next year). Regardless of the substances used and abused Hird and co have taken football to a place where no football fan wants football to go.

LOL - At least your honest.

You need to let go of the hate by the way.
Its harmful to your health.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hird-should-consider-standing-down-demetriou-20130412-2hpff.html

"Demetriou also shrugged off the possibility of any widespread issue with on-the-edge supplement use in the AFL, saying Essendon was the only club causing concern.
Demetriou praised The Age’s reporting of Essendon’s drug saga and has stated that further AFL drug issues are likely to surface.
‘‘They are very fine reporters, the fellows from The Age, Baker and McKenzie,’’ Mr Demetriou told 3AW broadcaster Neil Mitchell.
‘‘People don’t print things like that unless they are sure about their facts.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The conduct of Wilson, Mitchell and co., salivating over the potential sacking of a high profile coach and champion of the game, is distasteful. I am unsure why Wilson in particular continues to write about the game given she so clearly reviles so many of its protagonists. AD did try to avoid agreeing that Hirdy should consider stepping down, but a more appropriate response from him would have been "As AFL CEO it would be inappropriate for me to speculate about the future of a senior coach who has not yet even been afforded the opportunity to convey his side of the story." AD's comments were unbecoming a CEO and exploited by an opportunistic media. He should not have allowed himself to be sucked in.

Having said this, if the allegations in the media are true that Hirdy knowingly:
  • Allowed players to be injected with substances not approved in this country for use on humans; and/ or
  • Allowed players to be administered via i.v. - a practice which Richard Ings has said "may be against the WADA code" and/ or
  • Was himself injected with PEDs
...then he may well have done nothing that contravenes the WADA code. He will, however, have potentially failed in his duty of care to the players and the game. Unfortunately for Hirdy, the timing of all this is terrible as AD, recently embarrassed by failing to take a stand on Melbourne's tanking, wont risk being seen again as failing to uphold the integrity of the game. AD's posturing is suggestive that Hirdy would, at the very least, face a severe sanction if one of the above allegations is proven to be true. If more than one of the above allegations is proven, then it is very hard to see Hirdy holding onto his job.

I have always admired Hirdy as a player, as a coach and as a human being and there is nothing I would like more than to see him completely absolved of all allegations and some serious egg thrown onto the faces of the parasitic elements of the media who are baying for blood. However, the evidence reported so far is more supportive (albeit not proof) than dismissive of the allegations.

I am barracking for Hird, but I also fear for him.

I just wonder where this all ends, can't just see it all being closed off and forgotten about...
It's hard to know what is accurate, what is blown up and what is just pure garbage.
And it's hard to see it all ending well for anyone involved

Would be nice if it was just all out in the open and not dragging on and on, speculation turns into Chinese whispers a bit and then it just runs wild.

The media are the media. Ravenous beasts. Hated by most. Rightly so.

Essendon need to quit the cover up and start earning respect back. They have a chance to do that by standing Hird down , pending investigation, then addressing the problems honestly with the Ziggy Report.

If they don't, i suggest the AFL will.

The footy public is fed up with being fed bulltish.

What Essendon have been exposed as doing is unacceptable.

I think the media are the ones who should be giving Essendon respect not the other way around and wait till the investigation is over.

Been nothing but trial by media.

Andy D denies problem, backs Essendon and Hird, despite being briefed by the crime commission.

Hird cops bad press directly, Andy D calls for him to resign.

It is all about image. Surely Andy D has known that Hird and the club are culpable. But as long as there is a convenient scapegoat (Dank) and actual details are not leaked to the press, he will keep his mouth shut and pretend Essendon and Hird have done nothing untoward, even if he knows it to be a lie.

However, if actual details are leaked, it does not matter if they only look bad, but aren't actually anything illegal or represent any rules being broken, he will turn on them like a rabid dog.

Right and wrong do not seem to exist for him, it isn't about principles or rules, only perception management.

Not really.

It was once expected for someone to stand down with pay for the course of an investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back