Andy Maher - Sorry but I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

He talks ( babbles) on too much in the morning show on SEN so I can't listen to it anymore plus I remember couple years ago he said 'Andrew Bogut' in the most bogan accent ever. It went something like Bow-git. And whenever he asks questions on T.V watch the how open he leaves his mouth listening to the reply. An absolute joke!

This is another thing that annoyd me about him, why do I know where he went to school? Why does he have to mention it ad nasuem?

It's not the most elitist school in Melbourne, I don't think any of us are that impressed.

Because the Footy industry is run by the old boys from these so called elite schools (full of dimwitted jocks).

Where the hell does Andy "the walking cliche" Maher fit into the media landscape?

He is like a noxious weed now popping up on the 20 over coverage for Big Bash.
I guess it should give me some hope that anyone can get a job commentating.

I suppose the bolded sentence is actually true...if people put in the hard yards and have a bit of focus. As others have mentioned he might have had some advantages or connections before hand, but essentially he's a guy who's nearly 50 who's worked in some form of journalism or TV for a lot of his life.

Not that I'm a fan, but I suppose that is the answer. He fits in because he's committed himself to it and got the breaks along the way for whatever reason. I suppose some people including his various employers must think he's ok. Any non ex-footballers usually follow similar paths, like Gerard Whately etc., cover a variety of things in their journalistic careers and hope something opens up in an area they love, or whatever pays ok. Maybe there's a lack of experienced committed guys to fill these roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a great guy and everyone loves him (and that is how he stays in the job), but he is a hopeless commentator/interviewer.

The only bad thing about the 2007 GF DVD/broadcast was his (and his offsider's) interviews after the game. I think for every player he asked the probing question - "How does it feel?". :rolleyes:

*Re-enacts Brett Kirk's last game*

How does his commentary make you feel ?

While we're bagging him....

He used to talk about his girlfriend Kathy on SEN; Morning Glory had short, weekly segment called "Kath's Day". Well, 'Kath's Day' suddenly disappeared, and a few months later he married someone else!!

Him and Billy cracked many a joke about Greg Norman possibly having some overlap when he dumped his missus and hopped onto to Chris Evert, but they never entertained the possibility of Maher having any overlap in his relationships. Uncanny!
Ha :p
Juicy!

In the commentary booth with Mark Waugh, Viv Richards and Ricky Ponting, Junior commented there were 30,000 Test runs in the booth and then asked: "How many did you make Andy?"

Maaaaah got fair dinkum indignant and retorted: "Marcellin Old Boys Team of the Century thank you very much!" He was seriously offended Junior would call his cricket credentials into question. "Six centuries! Six centuries! I used to draw the stick men on my thigh pad like you, Junior!"

A few points, Andy:
1. No cricketer who is remotely any good plays Old Boys cricket, particularly not for a pissant outfit like Marcellin.
2. Marcellin Old Boys play in a really ordinary comp against about 15 teams within a 5-mile radius, including such behemoths as Deepdene AND Mont Albert AND North Balwyn AND Glen Iris AND Surrey Hills. Throw a blanket over the 500 men aged under 60 in that area.
3. Marcellin Old Boys CC was established in 1972. Team of the Century was probably named in 2000. Maaaaaaaaah probably played from when he left school in 1983, or for 17 of the 28 years of the club's existence up to that point.

In short, get the * off your high horse you unlistenable campaigner.

The difference is Gaze isn't paid to provide commentary for the cricket, Maher is.

Well, I'm pretty sure he got paid for the match he commentated on. And the fact they are slowly introducing him to viewers means if Maher was fired (the point of this thread?) he would probably be next cab off the rank to take over.

But anyway don't let me be misunderstood I hate Maher as much as you and wish that out of the 20 million people in Aus they could find some better fking alternatives, God bless you for taking a stand, amen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back