Autopsy Andy_Mac's insights on Goodwin - 'Ask Andy'

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting information, how have you come by it? How are they predicting future eliteness?
They do an evaluation of every player on every list to establish a base line of talent on a scale of 1-6, with 6 being elite. This is to create an ideal list profile.

4 = good or regular best 22
5 = very good
6 = elite

Not sure exactly on criteria, but competitiveness and the desire to win is one of the 4 key pillars at the club. As an example, we drafted Oliver because we asked him to loose 5kgs in a fortnight and he did. And it wasn't that he did it so much, it was the fact he trained twice a day and didn't eat for a fortnight. He want to win.

Apparently Weid slipped on account of not playing in his draft year. He's a big time talent.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The club has him penciled in as one of 13 future players on the list that will be rated elite at the 80 game mark.

Ooo I like guessing games..

Here's my attempt:

Petracca
Brayshaw
Hogan
Weideman
Oliver
Salem
Viney
Gawn
Tyson
Stretch
T McDonald
Kent
Neal-Bullen !!

Last edited:

Here's my attempt:

Petracca
Brayshaw
Hogan
Weideman
Oliver
Salem
Viney
Gawn
Tyson
Stretch
T McDonald
Harmes ??
Neal-Bullen ??

Dont you ever put question marks next to my man ANB's name again, are you really bracketing him with Harmes?... REALLY??

Oh and ANB will be better than Stretch btw, jus sayin

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne

Here's my attempt:

Petracca
Brayshaw
Hogan
Weideman
Oliver
Salem
Viney
Gawn
Tyson
Stretch
T McDonald
Harmes ??
Neal-Bullen ??
I don't know who they are, other than in 2014-15 inclusive we had 1, and this year we have 3.

As much as this is a nauseating exercise, the club surely rates VDB and Kennedy as better prospects for now than ANB, Stretch, etc.

Maybe they reckon Trengove will return in his 82nd game at elite form :drunk:

Did you find this information on a whiteboard, by any chance??
In a vault is my bet. Right next to the rotting corpses of Jordie Gysberts and Lucas Cook, waiting for reanimation when they technology is produced to give them some actual footballing ability.

Are we likely to see the Weid given a go at senior level this year?
I expect he'll get a game towards the end if he continues to average 2-3 goals in the VFL. Especially if there's an injury to Hogan or Pedersen or Frost. Highly doubt it'll be before July though.

I expect he'll get a game towards the end if he continues to average 2-3 goals in the VFL. Especially if there's an injury to Hogan or Pedersen or Frost. Highly doubt it'll be before July though.
Spot on.
Where are Casey this week? Would love to see the kid.

That whole discussion definitely gave me big flashbacks to Whiteboard Wednesdays, I remember some sort of talent matrix being shown there. Shudder.
There was that infamous one, around the time of all the forced retirements, about how pumping games into kids would fast-track them towards some arbitrary number of games, which in turn would leave them ready to fulfil their potential.

There was that infamous one, around the time of all the forced retirements, about how pumping games into kids would fast-track them towards some arbitrary number of games, which in turn would leave them ready to fulfil their potential.
This club has ruined the word for me. And not just related to footy, either.

Jul 23, 2004
At the Portsea shack
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Did you find this information on a whiteboard, by any chance??
Straight from the horse's mouth - or Simon Goodwin at least. Andy was attending a lunch with Goody this week that I was also supposed to attend - before work got in the goddamn way fuggit

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Opposition defenders lose their drive when they get a sniff of the Weid lighting it up in the forward line. Even Col 'Stoner' Garland prefers to spend his time blazing it up at Casey with the Weid.

Opposition defenders lose their drive when they get a sniff of the Weid lighting it up in the forward line. Even Col 'Stoner' Garland prefers to spend his time blazing it up at Casey with the Weid.
Appropriate on world 420 day

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Straight from the horse's mouth - or Simon Goodwin at least. Andy was attending a lunch with Goody this week that I was also supposed to attend - before work got in the goddamn way fuggit
It was awesome, you missed out. Me and 2 others got to spend 15-20 mins with prior just shooting the breeze. It was like fast money on sale of the century...

- Spencer is only a week away. But depth is a worry in the Ruck. King needs to put 20kg's on, they aim for 7 per year
- Neeld physiologically damaged the players, particularly Watts. He needs to be constantly reassured, high 5's etc
- Roo's going to Hawaii for 6 months and undecided after that. Most likely not coming back in a footy role
- club went very hard after Brendan McCarthy. Goody rates him as the best in the country at what he does
- Truck is arrogant, but in a good way. He thought he should have been playing since round 1. Goody said he's way to good for the VFL. He said he's like a panther out there. Said he plays like a mixture of Stringer up forward and Ebert through the middle. He'll play forward and kick goals this year. If he could choose only one of Hoges and Truck, he'd pick Hoges but only cause he hasn't seen Truck at AFL level yet. That said he did almost smirk and giggle when he said Hoges is very very good.
- explained the Essendon game well. He said "all club have s**t days at the office", especially inexperienced ones like ours. he said the difference between us and Geelong who were in the same position as us against the bombers last weekend was that their senior players know how to grit their teeth and wait, and more importantly trust that momentum will shift and when it does take you take your chances and bury the oppo. We hit the lead at the 10min mark of the last. He said he expected us to kick 2-3 more and kill the game, we got over excited and blew it, the cats didn't. That's were the 80 games comes into it
- they internally really rate Wagner and Hunt. He kept saying we found one on the weekend when referring to Hunt
- Had some interesting things to say on his time at Essendon and more so how removed Hirdy is now. But that's not relevant.

Ask what you like, we talked about pretty much everything.

Back