Player Watch Anton Tohill (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

With Moore out I'd be tempted to give him a look in.
Yes agree. Give him a shot.
He’s 21 & 3rd year on list. End year is final decision time.
Year 1 learning AFL caper
Year 2 abandoned
Year 3 interrupted
Hasn’t really had a sustained run at it.

Hasn't looked like it for mine and will be gone at years' end

Where exactly has anybody had any real opportunity to make that assessment?

Not saying he is a definite keeper at the end of the year, but it's not like he's had much of a chance to show whether/how he's been developing for the past 18 months either...

Last edited:

Showed a bit as KPD in the VFL I saw
An improving 200 cm Agile 21 year old are just what this team needs
I'd give him a year or at least try and rookie him

Yeah but Tohill in particular has a bit of the high-centre-of-gravity thing that Mason Cox has, might find himself pushed under the ball too easily IMHO.

I’d be applying for an excemption to keep him on the Cat B list for a 4th year. If that fails he goes. At the end of the day we’re talking a marginal talent here that’s 3 years from being solid at best. He’s also behind Keane, anyone that’s watched any VFL footy would agree or is a liar, and he’s a long way off it…

I’d be applying for an excemption to keep him on the Cat B list for a 4th year. If that fails he goes. At the end of the day we’re talking a marginal talent here that’s 3 years from being solid at best. He’s also behind Keane, anyone that’s watched any VFL footy would agree or is a liar, and he’s a long way off it…
Surely with Covid restricting the VFL comp last year and this year , an exemption would be allowed.

Where exactly have anybody had any real opportunity to make that assessment?

Not saying he is a definite keeper at the end of the year, but it's not like he's had much of a chance to show whether/how he's been developing for the past 18 months either...
Yep. The club who has watched him train for the last couple of years are the only one's in a position to make a call. Same with Rantall really.

That is rubbish mate, we get players from where ever we can and just hope they can make it, this boy has the size and more importantly the agility to be a chance, it is just unfortunate we may have to throw him in the deep end not ideal but cannot be helped.
Which Irish player has looked like he can play the game without looking he needs 20 years of training at collingwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which Irish player has looked like he can play the game without looking he needs 20 years of training at collingwood?
Marty Clarke.

I think the issue has been targeting talls. It doesn't matter how athletic you are if you can't read the ball flight and protect the drop zone and that doesn't really transfer across from any other sport so it takes ages to learn.

The fluff around here was that he was going to be the next Buckley. He was no where near it.
Obviously was never on track to be as good as Buckley, but I definitely would've had him locked in for All Australian at least once if he never left the first time

Many Irish players have succeeded. One might be a premiership player this year. Just because Collingwood has not had the same success as other clubs yet doesnt mean we should give up.

As for Tohill, the clock is ticking for him to show enough to justify promotion to the senior list. But if he is promoted, thats fine too. It will be on a pretty meagre wage so we should have room if the club thinks he is still a chance to make the grade. Lets remember there have only been 5 VFL games played since 2019, so his development path has been severely restricted.

Really really happy with this kid getting a game

Should play rest of season

Improved out of site

Hope he sticks it up them!!

Just play him.

Are Keanes papers stamped or have they seen enough?

well if anton can make it, we can probably teach footy to any 2 metre 18 year old who is willing to have a go....it makes me wonder why they dont got to the various basketball teams around the country and poach a kid who hasn't met the normal drafting criteria..

I recall exactly the fluff you are referring to. Guy McKenna said he was the "Irish equivalent of Nathan Buckley".
Clarke was a freak. He was good enough for AFL after playing 10 games of the sport at any level. He then developed a condition that was completely incompatible with professional sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back