Anyone ever been to Japan? Planning a trip at the end of the year...

Remove this Banner Ad

plowking

Club Legend
Mar 13, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Chelsea FC
Just wodnering what I should check out, and any hidden/exotic places you found particularly beautiful? Anything I can't live without while I'm there?

Also, as a 6'4, 100kg male, will I have trouble getting into clubs and drinking even though I'm 19 (since the legal age is 20)? Will I be checked for ID at most places?

Cheers guys, and any additional info would be helpful.

I've been every year for the past 3 years and love the place. Where abouts are you going? Tokyo or elsewhere too?

Drinking - you won't have an issue, just go to any vending machine and buy what you want. There's no ID check on them apart from the cigarette machines but if you go into a convenience store, they won't bother asking.

Clubs - all depends on the club, I've been to Womb which is prob one of the biggest clubs in Tokyo and they checked my ID but I don't think they really gave it a proper look. If you look old enough you should be fine.

I'm going to Tokyo and Osaka. I'm really keen on seeing all the temples and what not, some Sumo wrestling as well if possible.

Do you have to be 20 to get into clubs as well, or just to drink? And Ledger how old were you when you first went to a club in Japan?

Ron - If you're looking to stay a week, and going in March, you could easily have a really nice time with 3,000 grand including accommodation, food, flight and spending money going by what I've researched and the places I've found.

March is a great time, weather is lovely. I'd heavily advise against going during their summer, it's incredibly hot and humid....makes walking around very tedious. My 2nd trip was in April, superb time as the cherry blossoms were everywhere and was comfortable walking around in a tee.

Fly with Jetstar and if you're not fussy with hotels you can get both for 1500 - providing you go with someone to cut the accommodation cost. First time I went my flight alone set me back $1800 with Qantas, each other time i've got great Jetstar deals.

Hotels are the big killer in terms of your cost, first two trips I stayed in a nice smallish hotel located close to Tokyo Tower. Last trip (Feb 2010) I was at the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay which I got a great deal on....amazing hotel with great views.

All depends on how much you can afford to spend, I blew close to $3k alone on spending money last trip but that involved a fair bit of shopping and eating / boozing.

Plowking, I was 19 when I went clubbing...i'm around the same height and weight as yourself and had no issues. Just go unshaven and you'll get in for sure....i'd suggest you go to Womb, bring your drivers license with you (don't take your passport even though you're suppose to carry it with you at ALL times in Japan) and you should def get in. For the most part drinks are cheap and the music is superb.

You need to be 20, legally to enter clubs; no ID check at the bar. Drinking, I was served when I was 18 at bars there. They really are relaxed with foreigners at bars...clubs can be hit and miss.

For Tokyo, i'd suggest you skip Tokyo Tower, it's a nice view but it's too expensive when there are great view for free. The Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku has a free observation deck with one of the best views in Tokyo. Otherwise i'd highly recommend the New York Bar & Grill at the Park Hyatt Tokyo; it's a bit on the pricey side but the food is amazing, plus the view will make your jaw drop - must go at night though.

Temples - Asakasa Temple in Asakasa is the biggest and busiest but worth it. Free entry of course, just walk through the main entrance and follow everyone else. Grab some of the red bean paste biscuit thingys they sell there.

For a nice day outside of Tokyo, go to Mount Takao - lovely place. Spent the entire day there with my mate walking up and down the mountains; we both agreed it was the best day we had. Also Yokohama is 45 minutes away by train, much different atmosphere to Tokyo.

Feel free to ask any other questions you've got, more than happy to help.

So even if they see on my liscence that I'm 19 they'll let me in most likely?

What are the penalties if I'm caught drinking underage? I know it's not strictly enforced, though on the off chance I do get caught (I will pretend to not know the laws and claim I'm over 18!), what is the fine?

Also Ledger, what did you use for transport in terms of getting from one city to another. I looked at JP Rail prices and its $500 dollars for 2 weeks!!! Any other ways of getting about that can be done when I get their and not have to be bought over the net like the JP passes?

BTW, are sumo wrestling tickets expensive and what is the availability like?

From what i've seen, I don't think they really take notice of your ages, they just check to see if you indeed have ID or not. I used my train concession card by accident once and it worked. If you look old enough you should be able to get in.

Don't worry about drinking underage, police don't enforce the rules unless you start a fight or something stupid like that. There are alcohol vending machines everywhere and connivence stores sell it too. Japanese society generally do the right thing and there's trust that they won't do anything stupid. I don't know what the fine is but just play dumb with the police in the unlikely event they stop you and ask for ID; just make sure you have your passport on you at all times. It's an offence not to have it and they can put you in jail for it - once again unlikely.

Travelling is the most expensive thing you'll encounter. If you're going from Osaka to Tokyo, you're best option might just be the JR pass providing you travel to other cities too.

Otherwise you're other option is to take local trains. They basically just take longer to get to a place but are considerably cheaper eg Express train from Tokyo to Yokohama was ¥4500 whilst local train was just ¥900 and took 25 minutes longer. Do you research about where you want to visit i'd suggest and you'll be able to work out the cheapest transport.

Dunno too much about Sumo but my concierge was telling me cheapest tickets are around ¥6000 for nose bleed sections while ring side is around ¥20,000. No idea when there schedule is.

Ah cool.

Sorry to keep bugging you, though the local train tickets can be bought while there and don't need to be bought over the net as I understand? That's one thing that's confused me during my research.

Ah cool.

Sorry to keep bugging you, though the local train tickets can be bought while there and don't need to be bought over the net as I understand? That's one thing that's confused me during my research.

Local train tickets are bought only in Japan at a ticket machine - which thankfully have an english option. If you're going to Tokyo first, i'd suggest you catch the N'EX (Narita Express Train) into Tokyo Station, before that go to the ticket counter and get a Suica + N'EX special : http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Suica card is basically an electronic card which is used for trains, buying food and drinks at convenience stores or vending machines and other things. The deal is great for foreigners; ¥3500 for it and you get a ticket to Tokyo Station and ¥1500 on your Suica....plus if you return it when you leave you'll get ¥500 back, although I keep mine as a souvenir.

Basically all you need to do is keep topping up your Suica card when needed. Best thing is you won't ever be fined for not having money on it. You can take a trip around Tokyo eg Tokyo station to Shinagawa and have ¥100 on the Suica when it's a ¥200 trip; get to Shinagawa and top it up and you're good to go.

I believe Suica card is used in Osaka too, on JR West trains although Shinkansen (bullet train) are a different service and you'll have to purchase tickets through them which are costly. If you can afford to, go to Osaka - Tokyo or vice versa via Shinkansen, it will cost just under ¥14,000 and takes 3 hours. Otherwise you can take local trains, around 4 or so and it will set you back just under ¥9000 but takes 10 hours and if you miss your connection it can take even longer. I'd personally take the bus, cheapest I found was ¥5000 but you'd prob want a more spacious bus which is closer to ¥9000 and takes 8 hours but you don't need to keep track of where you are and your connecting train whilst taking in the Japanese scenery.

In the end for the price of the Shinkansen you can buy a domestic airplane ticket for pretty much the same price.

Don't hesitate to ask anything, it's an amazing country especially when you know the things and places to go to and which ones to avoid.

Just wodnering what I should check out, and any hidden/exotic places you found particularly beautiful?
Main cities and really nerdy s**t aside, some stuff/places that I dug:

Miyajima - Prob my favourite place. Check out Itsukushima Shrine, Daisho-in Temple, Mt. Misen Summit and the Red torii at low tide. Touristy but beautiful and chilled.

Nara - Todaiji Temple and watching the schoolgirls go nuts whilst feeding the deer.

Okayama - Korakuen Garden. Hiring a bike, cruising around town before hitting the Kibi Plain bicycle route. Also heading down to Tamano and hiking Mt. Ojigatake for amazing views of the Seto Inland Sea.

Nikko - Really cool Temples and waterfalls.

Kyoto - Heaps to do here. Fun nightlife too. Aside from the temples, I'd recommend checking out the cemetery here and Arashiyama (particularly if the Hanatoro is on, which is really cool).

plowking said:
I looked at JP Rail prices and its $500 dollars for 2 weeks!!! Any other ways of getting about that can be done when I get their and not have to be bought over the net like the JP passes?
If you're going to be doing a bit of travel, the JR Rail pass is literally a godsend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a massive anime/manga/technology fan, but also wish to see some of the more relaxed and beautiful areas of Japan. Tokyo is a must i assume, i want to spend 3 weeks there, what sort of cost can i expect to fly to and from Japan, and to stay somewhere for 3 weeks? Best places to see?

Currently at Jetstar you can book a flight from the Gold Coast to Japan for about $950.
Single rooms for accomodation are about $50, while you can get one for 4 people for about $90. I'd say its good to buddy up if you can. Saves a lot of money.

I've been twice on stopovers. First time, Tokyo. Second time Fukuoko. Tokyo is ok but Fukuoko is amazing. :thumbsu:

I'm heading to Japan in 1 month and am still trying to get organised

Its been very annoying gettting any information from the Travel Agents who seem to have no ****ing idea what they are talking about

our basic trip is

Toyko 3 days (including a day trip to Mount Fuji)
Osake 2 day
Kyoto 3 days (including a day trip to Hiroshima)
Then back to Tokyo for a day before flying out.

my major issue is with the JR card. They have 7 day or 14 day ones. People i've talked to have said that its best just to get the 7 day one and wing it for there but I'm not to sure.

apart from that has anyone got some interesting places to go? bearing in mind i'm taking the wife :D

edit - on that note its her Birthday on when we are in Kyoto..any idea what a decent place to eat out would be?

If you're gonna be using the Shinkansen a lot, just use the 14 day pass otherwise you'll spend a lot on trains from city to city.

To be honest, your trip is planned out a little short unless you've factored in travel times.

As for Kyoto restaurants; There's quite a few located on top of Kyoto sta that are good.

Stone Burg at Hankyu department store; meat and seafood cooked on hot stone plates. Decent prices but you can blow a fair bit on the better varieties of beef.

Gozanbo inside the Granvia Hotel at Kyoto sta. has superb Teppanyaki - bit pricey though. Lunch is up to ¥5000 and dinner is anywhere between ¥11,000 to ¥21,000. Great view though, pretty much justified the price.

If you're feeling very very very generous then Tsuruya is a must. Set in Heian Shrine, it's fairly famous but you're looking at ¥8,000 minimum per person for their lunch set and dinner sets start at ¥38,000. Haven't been there myself but have heard lots of good things about it and has been recommended by many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back