Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the AFL has more than enough on its plate than worrying about expanding into Tasmania. The next few years should be about survival and damage minimisation for existing clubs rather than risky expansion. Several clubs including mine will potentially be on a cliffs edge if there are no/limited crowds and if members and sponsors start walking away.

The 'plan' is for 5 years. Not next week. NPlenty of time to commit & build. We've had enough BS & obfuscation.

The AFL will be hounded in the media until they give a firm answer.

If its no forever, then have the guts to say it & wear the comment from the media, politicians & the majority of the footy public.

North & Hawks can go beg in Townsville, Alice Springs or wherever for money.

If a TAS club was created Sherb who would you support when they played Carlton?
I think I would cross that bridge when I come to it, I just want to see the Tassie side happen first.

50+ years of supporting Carlton vs a club finally representing my home state. Difficult.

Hypothetical - If Tasmania had exclusive rights to Tasmanian players and had a team (positions as examples only) in 2020:-

B:- J Howe, J Kolodjasnij, J Webster
HB:- G Birchall, L Jones, A Pierce
C:- M Robinson, H Greenwood, A Hall
HF:- L Weller J Riewoldt, R Fox
F:- B Mihocek, B Brown, H Dixon
R:- Nankervis, L Weller T, T Thomas
I:- A Phillips, C Jones, T Bellchambers

They won't

I think you're going to have to live with that. The 'solution' is to have more clubs. Mergers and relocations of Melbourne clubs are most unlikely.

Indeed, the AFL under Goyder & McLachlan have no appetite to address fairness in the competition, & appear likely to take the extra team approach every time, right up to 22 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania Cats
You complete idiot.

- New stadium
- Only team in the city
- Loyal fanbase
- 162 years history in the region.

But yeah we’ll move for some reason :$

I think the AFL should do whatever nets Gil and his mates the most $ over the next five / ten / twenty years.

Gil and the Melbourne Uni Old Boys at the top of AFL House have worked hard to reach the peak of the AFL bureaucracy.

They deserve every red cent they can milk from the teat of the behemoth which is the modern AFL organisation.

If that means that we, the fans, are stooged out of a fair competition, or even the club we grew up supporting, well then so be it.

Do you think Gil's next investment property is just going to buy itself? Come on now, be sensible.

Will a new Tassie side net more $$$ for Gil and his mates? I highly doubt it.

Sorry Taswegians, maybe try your luck with the A-League.

Their operating costs are much, much lower. You might be able to buy your way in.

NaughtyAggravatingEsok-small.gif

Yeah and we still have more paid up AFL club members then both Queensland clubs and Sydney clubs combined yet they have populations 4-5 times more then Tasmania population numbers can be misleading
You've said this a few times. But you're yet to provide a source.

You do realise to back up your claim it would take 1 in every 4 Tasmanian's being a paid up member.
And 1 in every 13 members in the country to be from Tasmania.

If you said the 2 Queensland clubs (45k) combined I'd consider believing you and let it go through to the keeper, But I struggle to believe you have more members than even just the NSW clubs (79k) But all of them? 124k? I call bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back