Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but you will still get a bigger spike in viewers from a Tassie team than a GC or GWS team which have both show little increase in their own market or other states. It is the increase in games that adds to the media rights, not where the viewers are.

That depends if there is an increase in matches, and the rights are very much dependent on expected viewer numbers. Fox are already arcing up over the local rights issues because of it.

He just said it is a double negative.
It's killing Nth and it's killing Tassie.
Let Nth do what they want and Give Tassie what they want.
At the moment Nth are unhappy going and Tassie don't want them.
What's the point.
If Nth want to stay in Arden St just let them.

Get North to Canberra. They serve no strategic purpose for the league otherwise beyond a vote to to back the Victorian cartel and less travel for other Vic teams, neither are a positive unless you are Victorian.

Tassie gets own team.

Melbourne also marginal but doubtful they'll turf them.

Pretty massive crowd for Bombers vs Hawks last week.

Stupid Bombers fans came in droves to chip away at our general self esteem levels. That’s how you get people to Tassie it seems

To tease Hawthorn after our many many years of success.

it hurt

There would be an increase of 11 as a minimum. Cochrane tells us this is worth 50m.

Not if the amount of rounds was kept the same, and a bye was introduced. All sorts of numbers have been bandied about from GWS Dave Matthews and Gold Coast's Chochrane - its part of how they justify their existence. The Tasmanian Gov report uses a much smaller figure.

We already have a 24 week season. And better to have the 15 byes the week before finals to replicate what we have now. Schedule the four bottom teams. Better still, modify the 17-5 idea. It did not work as some clubs would get 12 home games and some 10. It actually only works with an odd number of teams. 18-4 means after round 19 when all teams have pleated each other once, the bottom five teams drop out of the finals race and play each other once. The top 14 teams play four games v other top 14 teams in round 20 - 23 and all have a bye in round 24.
I've been having a think about how the fixture could work with 19 teams. I think I'd do it with 9 games for the first 9 weeks of the season (1 team has the bye each week), 8 games for the next 7 weeks (3 teams with the bye) and then back to 9 games for the last 8 weeks.

Allows a good spread of byes and provides more options for Thursday nights (especially through the middle part of the season when three teams are resting each week).

The season can stay the same length if we get rid of the unpopular pre-finals bye.

EDIT: I hope my maths is right! Haha

I've been having a think about how the fixture could work with 19 teams. I think I'd do it with 9 games for the first 9 weeks of the season (1 team has the bye each week), 8 games for the next 7 weeks (3 teams with the bye) and then back to 9 games for the last 8 weeks.

Allows a good spread of byes and provides more options for Thursday nights (especially through the middle part of the season when three teams are resting each week).

The season can stay the same length if we get rid of the unpopular pre-finals bye.

This seems like a good set up.

I think the biggest issue for a Tasmanian side would be player retention. Young people from Tasmania often leave for the mainland but rarely move the other way. Why would a league footballer who is not from Tasmania want to stay? People will point to Geelong as an example as to players wanting to go play there for lifestyle reasons, but there are more players recruited from western Victoria than Tasmania. And it is much more accessible to Melbourne.

If they do bring in a new side, I think the best chance of creating a successful club could be for the side to be based in Melbourne and fly down for home games.

We are hopeless, last and lack star appeal at the moment so of course fans don’t roll up to our games in Tassie especially when we play the
likes of GC, Freo, GWS etc. Put a 90‘s North team with a rampaging Carey and we’d be filling the joint up every game. We haven’t got the historical
advantage of the big Vic clubs with their large fan bases who get decent crowds even when their shite. Until we start winning games and have a Dusty, Dangerfield, Franklin etc running around we’ll struggle with the neutrals, casual fans and theatre goers turning up to our matches here
or in Tassie or anywhere else we end up playing home games.
For Tassie to get their own team they must have such a compelling case that the football world cannot possibly say no. State of the art stadium and several
big name long term sponsors should be the starting point. This we’re a footy state, we’ve developed hundreds of players, history blah blah blah is a load of bullshit in today’s pro sport world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with 19 teams we need 19 byes (1 per team) or 38 byes (2 per team)

9+21+8 = 38, so that's 2 byes per team (maths checks out).

I think the biggest issue for a Tasmanian side would be player retention. Young people from Tasmania often leave for the mainland but rarely move the other way. Why would a league footballer who is not from Tasmania want to stay? People will point to Geelong as an example as to players wanting to go play there for lifestyle reasons, but there are more players recruited from western Victoria than Tasmania. And it is much more accessible to Melbourne.

If they do bring in a new side, I think the best chance of creating a successful club could be for the side to be based in Melbourne and fly down for home games.
I'm one of those young Tasmanians that left the state (I'm back now). I can't speak for others, but I did it because of a lack of study and job opportunities here, not because it was a bad place to live. Once I got a bit of experience in Melbourne, I moved straight back here because it's a fantastic place to live. Yes, it's a similar vibe to Geelong (but nicer :p).

It actually takes about the same amount of time to get to Melbourne from Hobart as it does Geelong. The cost is a little higher because you have to fly, but that wouldn't matter to blokes on several hundred k a year.

I think the player retention thing is way overstated. I think the performance and/or culture of a club has a much bigger impact on their ability to retain talent (see Gold Coast and Adelaide).

So with 19 teams we need 19 byes (1 per team) or 38 byes (2 per team)

9+21+8 = 38, so that's 2 byes per team (maths checks out).
Thought so :) thanks for that.

I actually think the fixture I've proposed works better than the current one. Even with 18 teams I'd explore the option of spreading more byes throughout the season. The 9th game each week isn't as valuable as an extra couple of Thursday/Friday/Saturday night games.

I think the biggest issue for a Tasmanian side would be player retention. Young people from Tasmania often leave for the mainland but rarely move the other way.

Oh no, a 50 minute flight to see the family.
I was one of those Tasmanians too, I am back because Tasmania is nicer to live in than Victoria now.

We are hopeless, last and lack star appeal at the moment so of course fans don’t roll up to our games in Tassie especially when we play the
likes of GC, Freo, GWS etc. Put a 90‘s North team with a rampaging Carey and we’d be filling the joint up every game. We haven’t got the historical
advantage of the big Vic clubs with their large fan bases who get decent crowds even when their sh*te. Until we start winning games and have a Dusty, Dangerfield, Franklin etc running around

Considering North and Essendon have pretty much been in the same position since 2002. I think this is a strange post.
We don't have one of those players either.

Precious? I dont appreciate being told Im spreading misinformation, when you apparently havent bothered to verify any of it yourself. Its ok to ask for references, its not ok to accuse someone of lying about it.

Dude you claimed multiple times i was spreading misinformation - it amounts to the same thing. Dont come here claiming to be the victim. I dont care if you dont appreciate it. You started this.

Fact: its literally the smallest tv market in the country
Fact: its a regional market, and the smallest one at that
Fact: under the AFLs broadcast deal, local teams end up being shown in their isolated tv markets more often than not with little exposure in the major AFL media markets in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

These are absolutely facts. I dont need to be on "personal terms" with the networks to know these things.
Geelong has a population thats half tassies yet manages to field a very successful team both financially and on field.

as does townsvile with the same sort of numbers as Geelong with their nrl team.

Canberra has 100000 less than Tassie and fields a union and a league team

it's an Afl heartland state - it will get landslide support.

Last edited:
Thought so :) thanks for that.

I actually think the fixture I've proposed works better than the current one. Even with 18 teams I'd explore the option of spreading more byes throughout the season. The 9th game each week isn't as valuable as an extra couple of Thursday/Friday/Saturday night games.
Even with 18 teams, I'd be a fan of an 8 game week with 2 teams in a bye to allow for Thursdays and no games overlapping.

Get all the tree hugging mud brick house loving off grid mulled wine drinking players. There would be many I’m sure

Even with 18 teams, I'd be a fan of an 8 game week with 2 teams in a bye to allow for Thursdays and no games overlapping.
Yep same theory works just as well with 18 teams. I'd do no byes first three weeks, two byes for the next 18 weeks and no byes again for the last three weeks.

I think tassie needs its own team identity, rather than a recycled Melbourne team . Tasmanians who are fans of Melbourne teams might jump to a tassie team. But if that team is a redressed north or hawthorn, they might not make that jump as they would be effectively supporting a rival Melbourne team.

Gold Coast in tassie would be ok as they don't have a strong identity and would be completely rebranded in any case. You would just be moving players and staff.

Relocating a Melbourne club can follow the same template as you suggest for the Suns.

Oh no, a 50 minute flight to see the family.
I was one of those Tasmanians too, I am back because Tasmania is nicer to live in than Victoria now.

There is a massive difference between flying to Tasmania and driving to Geelong. The cost of flying is higher, you have to book ahead, you have depart at a certain time and the journey door to door is more like 3 hours not 50 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back