Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any update from the boys today? Bit of a worry that Grundy is still not in full training after they said he would be back in two weeks. It’s now been 3 weeks...

200w.gif

Training Report Friday Feb 15, 2019
A perfect morning for training. Partly cloudy, 20C with a cooling southerly.
Not Training: Howe, Grundy, Will H-E
Limited Training: Sharenberg, Broomhead, Tohill, Dunn, Crisp, Kelly, Wells

The boys were already into full match simulation when I arrived having been detoured again through Melbourne Park.
The first thing I noticed as I was settling in was Isaac Quaynor; picked up the ball at full pace and delivered to a teammate on the wing.
He continued to find the ball over the next 2 hours. He runs all day, has good ball-sense and is very aggressive.
I remembered my binoculars today, so it was easier to pick up the play at the Yarra end.

Some of the match ups: Max Lynch v Jordan Roughead, Sier V Treloar, Reid V Mark Keane
Kick-ins were taken by Moore, Quaynor, Maynard and Appleby.

The beardless Goldsack looks ten years younger and played a variety of positions including forward.

During the second quarter the ball came forward to Degoey, who flew for a mark and landed awkwardly. He immediately clutched at his left ankle and threw his body back in pain. He limped from the ground assisted by two trainers. It looks like a sprain and he was off for scans an hour or so later, but was walking unassisted, so I guess that's a reasonably good sign. Jen says it could be a rolled ankle. Can you confirm that please Jen?

Players noticed:
James Aish: sporting a new look and was hard to spot at first. This guy has to be best 22 for mine. Doesn't get it a lot, but is cool and uses the ball so well. A very good decision maker.
Isaac Quaynor: as noted above, this boy is a ball magnet.
Ben Reid: moving well. Was prominent up forward and kicked a few goals opposed to Irishman Mark Keane, who uses the ball nicely both feet.
Tom Phillips: Very prominent in the first two quarters. Even when cornered on the wing, always reverts to his left. Does he ever go with his right? Looks as if he'll be having another good year.
Mason Cox: Played forward and ruck. Took some nice grabs. More comfortable in the air now.
Jordan Roughead: Played ruck and rested down back. Won almost every centre hit out against Max Lynch.
Taylor Adams: ran amok early. Used his body like a battering ram in the clinches. I'd hate to get in his way.
Brayden Sier: Almost all of his possessions were handpasses. He is so strong in the tackle. Stands solidly and handpasses. Very hard to bring down in the thick of it. I'd love to see him get out in the open a bit more and use his kicking to advantage.
Atu B: I like this kid. He's quick and brave. Did some nice things. Runs like the wind.
Darcy Moore: Played back but wasn't as as effective as he has been. Has had a great summer though.
Callum Brown: Very good today. Broke packs and used his pace to advantage. Best I've seen him to be honest.
Scott Pendlebury: everywhere as usual. At one point he ran toward the boundary to change with Beams. Beams sent him to defence to pick up another player. Now I like that; two captains instead of one!
Dayne Beams: In the thick of it. Such a good user. Dangerous every time he gets it.
Brayden Maynard: got a lot of the ball and ran and bounced a few times, running deep into the forward line. In very good condition.
Rupert Wills: good to see Rup start and finish a game!
Tyler Brown: Got some nice glimpses of this boy's ability today. Is good with the ball in hand and makes good decisions. Played forward and is hard to bring down. Keeps his feet and is quick.
Jamie Elliott: didn't notice him a lot, but like Wills, he finished the game. That's a big bonus as he will need to replace DeGoey for a few weeks I think.
Stephenson: didn't notice him a lot.
Treloar: Opposed Sier mostly. Nice to see him back and fully fit

At the end of each quarter, the players were instructed to run to the opposite boundary and then run the perimeter to the Glasshouse side. It was always a photo finish (black jumpers) between Quaynor and Stephenson with Stephenson catching Quaynor on the line on each occasion. For the white jumpers, I can't recall, but Jen@2310 suggested it was Tom Phillips and Daicos finishing well.

OK, happy to answer any questions.
DeGoey.jpg

If he is walking that’s a good sign. When I rolled my ankle and fractured it, I couldn’t walk unassisted. Too much pain to even stand up... but then again maybe DeGoey is superhuman!

Any update from the boys today? Bit of a worry that Grundy is still not in full training after they said he would be back in two weeks. It’s now been 3 weeks...
Like Toby Kunte Kinte?

I will not only learn to walk again, I will learn to run.

Great training report Apples

So many making strong cases.
I do love hearing that.

Now to our man, Murphy?
How did he go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news on Tyler Brown. Could he play KDP? Or is this year too early for him?

Nathan Murphy?

Sounds like going to the red centre wasn't a good thing for Moore in terms of his preparation. We perhaps should stop these junkets for players.

Dave, they have match sim's every Monday and Friday at present. You're welcome to come along. It's virtually an intra-club with the available players. Our traditional evening pre-season intra-club has been later in our preparation, so currently the match simulation-based intra club training has a few more VFL types and Lockyer/Boyd participating. The formal intra club, held once a year in the evening late in preseason has instead been replaced with the Melbourne game and the club has publicly announced that today.
Tarks is 40 this year and been out of the system for almost a decade. Impressive for him to still be running around the drills at training.

Where the * does the time go? :(

Murphy? Played back and for once was not sporting heaps of white zinc on his face. Also wore no cap which is a change. In other words he was easy to spot. Didn't notice him do a lot, but did notice his constant vocal instructions to other backs playing up the field.
This is something Dunn did very well, but this year the player coaching has gone up a level. I've already mentioned Dayne Beams sending Pendles back onto the field and for me, this switched-on shared leadership was the most interesting aspect of the match sim.

You have to wonder about the fitness of these blokes really; how can they virtually run no-stop for two and a half hours? It is amazing. Yesterday it was wave after wave of players surging forward from the backline with rapid fire handball, linking through the midfield and then quickly delivering to a forward. It was exhausting just watching it.

Murphy? Played back and for once was not sporting heaps of white zinc on his face. Also wore no cap which is a change. In other words he was easy to spot. Didn't notice him do a lot, but did notice his constant vocal instructions to other backs playing up the field.
This is something Dunn did very well, but this year the player coaching has gone up a level. I've already mentioned Dayne Beams sending Pendles back onto the field and for me, this switched-on shared leadership was the most interesting aspect of the match sim.

You have to wonder about the fitness of these blokes really; how can they virtually run no-stop for two and a half hours? It is amazing. Yesterday it was wave after wave of players surging forward from the backline with rapid fire handball, linking through the midfield and then quickly delivering to a forward. It was exhausting just watching it.

Thanks for that Apples, interesting observations.

All true observations of Murphy's natural style. He's not a big possession winner and not as noticeable as Quaynor for that reason. What he does well is spoil in the air and flies with little regard for his safety. He's also a penetrating kick and hits targets quite well over 50m.

It appears to me we have had one of our best preseasons in a long time, there is a calm confidence in this group and they know exactly what they have to do. The match sim is very impressive, ball movement at a very high standard. Competition for spots all over the group and so many players wanting to stand up as a leader.
Haven’t posted much over the preseason but just about
Ready to go for season 2019!

It appears to me we have had one of our best preseasons in a long time, there is a calm confidence in this group and they know exactly what they have to do. The match sim is very impressive, ball movement at a very high standard. Competition for spots all over the group and so many players wanting to stand up as a leader.
Haven’t posted much over the preseason but just about
Ready to go for season 2019!
Welcome back mate.

All true observations of Murphy's natural style. He's not a big possession winner and not as noticeable as Quaynor for that reason. What he does well is spoil in the air and flies with little regard for his safety. He's also a penetrating kick and hits targets quite well over 50m.
Albert, are you popping down on Monday for the match sim?

Albert, are you popping down on Monday for the match sim?
Whom ever is popping down, it will be appreciated if you could keep us abreast of the comings and goings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back