Are the AFL admin bigger than the game itself?

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know the saying:- 'the club is bigger than the indvidual' but is anyone of the opinion that the current AFL admin is acting as if they are bigger than the wonderful game that is now 100+yrs old?

How about letting the game continue to evolve naturally without putting their big money hungry publicity greedy snouts in.

All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. All heil Vlad!

To me it seems that in several areas they think they are bigger than the game.

No doubt the current power brokers have the confidence and balls to take on the Collingwoods, the MCG Trust and the power clubs in areas such as clash strips and the final series scheduling, well done here. Yes they negotiated a great TV deal for the biggest $$$ ever and now we have the standard of coverage going backwards due to cost cutting.

The problem is they are over confident and often portray an arrogant style, Dimertriou the main offender here.

The big issues to me are in areas such as making mistakes(they make them but then are too proud to admit it), relations with the Irish, thinking they should be constantly changing the rules (this realy worries me) and the number one issue, buying into clubs - drip feeding them out of the Balance Fund and then dictating where they will end up relocating to (Roos - Bulldogs).

It baffles me that the Rugby League seems to have an expansion plan, is issuing new licences and is getting bigger / more successful. The AFL talks about second teams in Sydney and QLD but wants to force Melbourne clubs to move against their will.

We have the best game in the land, we are making more money than ever before. Yes funds are not unlimited but by making some more hard calls such as capping football operations budgets we can get a more level playing field. New licences should be issued, the AFL's surplus profit should be placed in an investment fund. The new and smaller clubs should have there incomes topped up from the league. The power clubs need to share their financial success because without the less powerful clubs the success of the competition wouldn't exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back