Are there any vegetarian or vegan footballers?

Remove this Banner Ad

People boiled their boot leather and ate it in ww2. You can do almost anything, the questions was is it optimal and the answer is categorically not. If you're being told it's not you're being sold a bill of goods.

I read his blogs. It's fine for a non athlete. For an athlete it doesn't make sense. Some ideas to look at:
  • total protein isn't the thing we're initially chasing, it's making sure we hit the right ratios of amino acids. If we don't wont trigger protein synthesis. Plant foods are typically very low in these. Post the triggers then we're into total macros
  • Meta studies or any Resistance Training V Dietary intervention are a real battle. Generally it's always some local college kids on campus with a low training age and a low threshold for growth and strength gains on an 8 week program to fit into a term. Longitudinal studies of this nature are really hard to implement and there are bugger all to look at
  • They're not training 15-20 hours a week. RDI's for athletes who do contact sport, collision sport and who need an inflated body mass generally need 2+ and sometimes 3+g of protein per day per kg bw. I had an athlete who worked best at about 4, which is insane.
*Just because an athlete can do plant based doesn't mean its optimal. If Usain Bolt went vegan, he'd still likely have been one of the fastest people to have ever lived. Genetics, coaching, mentality and environment all play large rolls.

Whole foods and eating plants I'm totally on board with for general health, skipping animal products I'm not.
You have read scantily. SIMON HIMSELF IS AN ATHLETE, he interviews elite athletes.
The GOAT tennis player, Novak, has been whole foods plant based and attributes that to his endurance and energy levels.
Animal products are just not needed.
Plant eating must be done with care, but it is optimal in every aspect. For the now AND the future.

You have read scantily. SIMON HIMSELF IS AN ATHLETE, he interviews elite athletes.
The GOAT tennis player, Novak, has been whole foods plant based and attributes that to his endurance and energy levels.
Plant eating must be done with care, but it is optimal in every aspect. For the now AND the future.
Going to the gym isn't an athlete you have to out compete a large number of people at something. And being an athlete doesn't have much to do with health anyway ex athletes are not usually very long lived(longevity seems to decline with more than 60min off strenuous activity per week).
Plant foods don't have the right ratio of amino acids(I don't think there is a plant that has all essential amino acids?), the plants don't come with any of the b vitamins(this is responsible for the low energy vibe and anemic appearance of a lot of vegans) and plants don't come with any of the fat soluble vitamins. Plants also don't come with full spectrum of electrolytes in the right ratio's to each other(beef does because if it didn't cows would be flopping around paddocks with cramps/seizures and heart attacks).
Animals that are herbivores also don't digest plants the way human vegans try too either, they ferment the plant material in their guts then digest the bacteria and it's the bacteria that gives the herbivores all the water soluble B vitamins, fat soluble vitamins and essential amino acids and saturated fats. Vegans don't do that and I've looked into vegan youtubers to see if they're into fermented plant foods and barely anyone seems to be eating them(they might have a few spoonfuls of sauerkraut here and there as a side note).

Going to the gym isn't an athlete you have to out compete a large number of people at something. And being an athlete doesn't have much to do with health anyway ex athletes are not usually very long lived(longevity seems to decline with more than 60min off strenuous activity per week).
Plant foods don't have the right ratio of amino acids(I don't think there is a plant that has all essential amino acids?), the plants don't come with any of the b vitamins(this is responsible for the low energy vibe and anemic appearance of a lot of vegans) and plants don't come with any of the fat soluble vitamins. Plants also don't come with full spectrum of electrolytes in the right ratio's to each other(beef does because if it didn't cows would be flopping around paddocks with cramps/seizures and heart attacks).
Animals that are herbivores also don't digest plants the way human vegans try too either, they ferment the plant material in their guts then digest the bacteria and it's the bacteria that gives the herbivores all the water soluble B vitamins, fat soluble vitamins and essential amino acids and saturated fats. Vegans don't do that and I've looked into vegan youtubers to see if they're into fermented plant foods and barely anyone seems to be eating them(they might have a few spoonfuls of sauerkraut here and there as a side note).
Sadly, very ignorant comments. Do you know what plant foods are?
Grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, fungi/mushrooms. Fermented plant foods are definitely recommended.
There is a difference between veganism, and whole foods plant based nutrition, as has been stated.
Eating ALL those plant food groups every day is not onerous, is doable, and produces everything needed.
The only supplement needed is Vitamin B12.
MANY CARNIVORES also require B12 supplements

No if you're deficient in b12 you're probably deficient in all the b vitamins and I've never heard a carnivore requiring b12? Animal products have plenty of b12 as well as the other b vitamins like thiamine, niacin etc which are all required for energy metabolism. And none of those plant foods you mentioned are natural human foods they didn't exist before agriculture.

haha Novak ain't plant based

It's insanity.
Dead corpse sitting in your gut putrefying.
Does wonders for your bowel, cholesterol, kidneys, and gut microbiome. Not.

Meat doesn’t putrefy in your gut, it’s almost completely absorbed by the small intestine. Plant fibre putrefies that’s why so many plants give you gas.

Last edited:
Meat doesn’t putrefy in you gut, it’s almost completely absorbed by the small intestine. Plant fibre putrefies that’s why so many plants give you gas.
The stats do not lie.
Bowel cancer is rare in vegans, plant eaters, yet plentiful in meat/cheese eaters.
Ditto- heart disease, stroke, dementia, diabetes, high bp.
You may be young and arrogant enough to not worry about that now, but here the seeds are planted for you.
Truly, food for thought.

The stats do not lie.
Bowel cancer is rare in vegans, plant eaters, yet plentiful in meat/cheese eaters.
You may be young and arrogant enough to not worry about that now, but here the seeds are planted for you.
Truly, food for thought.

I'm not young or arrogant, I'm speaking from experience. Try eating only meat for a few days and you'll notice the difference in your digestion.

I'm not young or arrogant, I'm speaking from experience. Try eating only meat for a few days and you'll notice the difference in your digestion.
I'm in my 7th decade.
I will never eat meat again, whilst I have my marbles.
Do you have concerns about saturated fat and cholesterol?
I have studied this topic for decades and it's an evolving process, but I definitely favour plant based nutrition.
For many years, I ate a lot of fish and low fat dairy, but my own experience is favours the plants.
Also deal with many sporting teams, and although veganism is not a priority, it is starting to gain acceptance

Last edited:
I'm in my 7th decade.
I have studied this topic for decades and it's an evolving process, but I definitely favour plant based nutrition.
For many years, I ate a lot of fish and low fat dairy, but my own experience is favours the plants.
Also deal with many sporting teams, and although veganism is not a priority, it is starting to gain acceptance
Saturated fat and cholesterol aren't a concern unless you have high blood sugar(everyone gets at least high blood sugar spikes on modern food whether you're vegan or not and a large number will eventually have chronically high blood sugar).

Saturated fat and cholesterol aren't a concern unless you have high blood sugar(everyone gets at least high blood sugar spikes on modern food whether you're vegan or not and a large number will eventually have chronically high blood sugar).

So why is it that as soon as a person has a cardiac event, requiring stents or surgery, they are treated with statins for the rest of their lives. This is to keep their cholesterol levels, LDL in particular, to as low as possible to prevent further atheromatous plaque in their coronary arteries.
This doc is a Low Carb Down under doc, and clearly a keto/paleo fan.
How many interviews with plant based gurus like Caldwyn Esselstyn, Neil Barnard, Michael Gregor, Dean Ornish, T.Colin Campbell, etc etc would you like me to dredge up to totally debunk that opinion?

Last edited:
So why is it that as soon as a person has a cardiac event, requiring stents or surgery, they are treated with statins for the rest of their lives. This is to keep their cholesterol levels, LDL in particular, to as low as possible to prevent further atheromatous plaque in their coronary arteries.
This doc is a Low Carb Down under doc, and clearly a keto/paleo fan.
How many interviews with plant based gurus like Caldwyn Esselstyn, Neil Barnard, Michael Gregor, Dean Ornish, T.Colin Campbell, etc etc would you like me to dredge up to totally debunk that opinion?

sounds like a whole buncha hogwash to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in my 7th decade.

No.

The stats do not lie.
Truly, food for thought.
Because a large chunk of meat consumed by "meat eaters" is processed garbage. Kidding yourself if you think grassfed beef is causing cancer. Same for all the other diseases you mentioned.

Because a large chunk of meat consumed by "meat eaters" is processed garbage. Kidding yourself if you think grassfed beef is causing cancer. Same for all the other diseases you mentioned.
Who's kidding who?
Evidence speaks louder .

It’s popular in some athletic circles to prioritise vegetarian for fitness reasons, but I hear they like a nice steak now and again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back