Social Science Are you lost or found in life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking.

Firstly, 'you think you know what you're looking for, 'til what you're looking for finds you'. You can thank actress cum singer cum actress playing singer Clare Bowen for that pearl of wisdom.

Secondly, don't look/plan too hard. You can have everything you think you want and be unhappy. You can not have everything you think you want and be happy.

Lost. I'm going to uni this year but i'm not passionate about what i'm doing. tbh i think i'm only doing it because i know i'll have people to support financially as i get older, but without them i'd be happy dole bludging the rest of my life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares. We're here now and then one day we die. There's no grading when you're gone, you're not going to care how much money you have or how 'successful' you were. I think it's important just to let whatever happens happen and do what makes you happy. You can only be as happy as you allow yourself to be. There's no point doing something you hate because your scared of what others are going to think of you if you don't follow the norm and live the conventional life. And some people do want the conventional life and get a job, have a career, get married, have kids, get old and die etc. That's fine too. Live your life the way you want to though. Personally, I used to be so worried about what I was doing with my life and where I was going, where I'd end up. I was really depressed for years. I've had some realisations over the last couple of months though and come to the conclusion that this is life. I'm doing it right now. That's all that I want to focus on and I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
I'm not defeated at all. I genuinely believe I can do whatever I want if I want it bad enough. And if I don't want it bad enough then why would I do it?

That wasn't what you were on about and what I was criritizing. What you said was exactly what gov psychologists say to people traumatized by the system.

That wasn't what you were on about and what I was criritizing. What you said was exactly what gov psychologists say to people traumatized by the system.
* the system. Who made it anyway? Other people who are so called 'professionals'? I just think the whole thing is a load of crap. I'm only alive for a short period of time, I don't want to be told by others what I can/can't/should/shouldn't do. Why are they any better than me? I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm someone else. It infuriates me that there are laws out there set by other people that seem to have some sort of jurisdiction over society (granted by other people) and can inhibit people from living life the way they want to do it. I'm just getting broader and broader with my comments here and I could go on forever but I think it's getting off topic.

And some people do want the conventional life and get a job, have a career, get married, have kids, get old and die etc.

I do feel like some people feel very obligated to do this, and act like your life is directionless if you don't aspire to it in your 20s. Right now, in my mid-to-late 20s, getting married and having kids and buying a house isn't really what I want to do, and isn't really financially feasable either. That doesn't mean that my perspective won't change in the future, though. Some people seem to label others for life if they don't have that aspirational drive or that "settling down" attitude early in life, when people all grow and change at different rates, and different things suit different people at different times in their lives.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back