Universal Love Army announces his retirement - Thanks Dennis

Remove this Banner Ad

From being a much maligned player to cult hero, Dennis could be depended on to give 100% whenever he crossed that white line. The club is going to miss him out on the ground at times. He is a special favourite of mine!

I reckon that he'll continue in his role with the women's team and possible end up coaching that side as the senior coach one day!

Showed more than his talent and ability.
His speed and competitiveness were great factors in this.
A passionate bloke and a bloody good human being,a rarity in the afl and in life in general.
Thanks Dennis,I was a big fan!!

will always remain my favourite marxist revolutionary

4495439099001_5325859323001_5319088882001-th.jpg
A lot of time for Lev. In charge of the Russian Army. Does that make him related to our Army? Stalin caught up with him in Mexico. The assassin misheard Stalin. Stalin said "blah, blah, draft pick. The other guy heard "blah, blah, ice pick.

Love you Army. One of the most beautiful men I've ever had the privilege of meeting/knowing/getting some advice from. Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears. If a footy career was measured by those three elements then he'd be above a Brownlow. Seriously, this guy was Pharlap. Best damn CHB ever.

I've had a couple of the regulars that I talk to away from BigFooty ask me what my Army story is. It's not that big of a deal but I'll happily share it.

As many of you know I had my major life downfall after I moved to the United States. Back in 2015 I had an opportunity to support my then partner's move to Queensland. A move related to her health (chronic asthmatic who deals better with the Queensland climate and low level pollution than Melbourne which is becoming increasingly common). Naturally, I was scared at the thought of moving away from Melbourne again. I didn't know if I could do it the right way as I failed the last time around (or feel that I did). I was getting lunch near the CBD with my ex who had been working with the sister of a former Carlton player. Army popped in to pick something up for that player as we were sitting down (he was on his way through to the club). He had some time so he joined us. Discussion got to the move. His advice was pretty simple - that a cross country move was tough, that there was good times and bad but that if I rolled with it it would be worth it. He was speaking from experience, obviously, and it was the type of thing that I needed to hear at the time.

Every time there's been negative times, and there's been quite a few, I remember what Dennis had to say. I've knuckled down, put my head down and worked on it and the situation. I guess I took his advice as the old, you don't get anywhere in life if you don't have a fair dinkum crack at it. And I think that's ultimately how Dennis played his footy and lives his own life. His words aren't hollow. He lives what he preaches.

Personally, I'd love to see the club put him into the role of a life skills coach. Guide the younger players through their first years at the club. Particularly those who have been drafted or traded in from out of state. I don't think that's an area that many AFL clubs (sports clubs in general, even around the world) do enough for. It's not necessarily a skills coach but someone who will be there to guide and mentor the young blokes off the field.

A lot of time for Lev. In charge of the Russian Army. Does that make him related to our Army? Stalin caught up with him in Mexico. The assassin misheard Stalin. Stalin said "blah, blah, draft pick. The other guy heard "blah, blah, ice pick.
you complete imbecile :thumbsu::D

I've had a couple of the regulars that I talk to away from BigFooty ask me what my Army story is. It's not that big of a deal but I'll happily share it.

As many of you know I had my major life downfall after I moved to the United States. Back in 2015 I had an opportunity to support my then partner's move to Queensland. A move related to her health (chronic asthmatic who deals better with the Queensland climate and low level pollution than Melbourne which is becoming increasingly common). Naturally, I was scared at the thought of moving away from Melbourne again. I didn't know if I could do it the right way as I failed the last time around (or feel that I did). I was getting lunch near the CBD with my ex who had been working with the sister of a former Carlton player. Army popped in to pick something up for that player as we were sitting down (he was on his way through to the club). He had some time so he joined us. Discussion got to the move. His advice was pretty simple - that a cross country move was tough, that there was good times and bad but that if I rolled with it it would be worth it. He was speaking from experience, obviously, and it was the type of thing that I needed to hear at the time.

Every time there's been negative times, and there's been quite a few, I remember what Dennis had to say. I've knuckled down, put my head down and worked on it and the situation. I guess I took his advice as the old, you don't get anywhere in life if you don't have a fair dinkum crack at it. And I think that's ultimately how Dennis played his footy and lives his own life. His words aren't hollow. He lives what he preaches.

Personally, I'd love to see the club put him into the role of a life skills coach. Guide the younger players through their first years at the club. Particularly those who have been drafted or traded in from out of state. I don't think that's an area that many AFL clubs (sports clubs in general, even around the world) do enough for. It's not necessarily a skills coach but someone who will be there to guide and mentor the young blokes off the field.
this s**t is why I bf

Dennis needs to get the farewell game against the Hawks and go out with a ridiculous hairstyle (looking way too normal at the moment).

Will always be remembered as the 2nd best celebrator in Carlton colours (sorry Dennis, Setanta has just got you covered).

Always loved the time he was interviewed on the radio and asked who was the fastest player at the club Yarran, Garlett or Betts? His response was "The GPS says it is Dennis Armfield".

And me my Army badge. If anyone has him on twitter, ask him to nominate the replacement. ;):p
Bluella I think there is a common thread through those I can remember wearing the number 27 with distinction. I'll probably leave someone out but here we go.

* David Dickson
* Des English
* Darren Hulme
* Dennis Armfield

Tough no nonsense types one and all. If we can't find one on the list then let's recruit one because a player like that is worth their weight in gold. You can then buy a new badge and put it next to your Army badge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn! Has it really been 10 years. The last piece of the Judd trade puzzle.

Loved the way he went about it. And boy' did he some toe. This piece of play sticks in my mind @1.24 when Yaz was burning off Selwood and Dennis just run right on up from behind to shepherd like the other two were going at half pace.

Or when he TWICE nailed Dangerfield.

Thanks Dennis. You're a fan favourite. And I'm sure you're one player who's definitely gonna land feet first out of football :thumbsu:

TripleM's best calls - Dangles :-

how anyone can listen to those screaming ranting blokey morons is beyond me - pretending lesser skilled players are champions and becoming hysterical each time they touch the ball is bullying 101 - certainly dennis armfield didn't need their faux enthusiasm - truly pathetic

A little bit late but there was nothing better then the Triple M teams love for Dennis.

I was hoping he would go around once more as he is the type of a player all clubs need around. Loyal and always gave 100 percent when required.

Deeeeennnnnnnniiiiisssssssssssss- James Brayshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back