FTA-TV Arrested Development - Season Four

Remove this Banner Ad

Which seems a little pointless. Who is going to watch this apart from hardcore fans???
I've only watched Episode 1 so far, but holy *, you released the Season 4 remix a few weeks ago. I remember that Lindsey wears a red wig and that George-Michael punched his dad. Are they short on content? This murder story has to have an intriguing resolution if I'm required to remember every detail of the story.

This doesn't sound promising...

Anyone watching this on Foxtel though? I'm interstate, and I tried to use the app to record the shows but it wouldn't sync to the box for some dumb reason. Any chance these will be up On Demand? Would prefer to see em in HD anyway.

Strange season.

Better than 4 (although the remixed version is a s**t load better than the original version), because it doesn't play around too much with the chronology, and because the cast are together for a semi-decent amount of scenes.

There were two or three episodes where it felt more settled, and I was both genuinely interested in the story as well as laughing a fair bit.

However it still feels too messy. Season 4 was the same, in that there's too much going on without any real cohesion.

Chaotic storytelling and layered jokes worked so well in seasons 1-3 because the story was straightforward; the jokes tied in effortlessly. The characters intermittently interacted in a believable way.

Whereas both new seasons are just all over the place. I found it difficult to pick up on the more subtle jokes because I was trying remember what each character was doing at certain times, or processing new developments (hey! that's the name of our show!).

It's a shame, because the potential to make hilarious episodes is clearly still there. I just think the magic of the original seasons is gone.

Have tried to watch the first 3 eps. Don't know if it's just my taste that's changed but I really can't get into it at all this time around.

The first three episodes are more catch up. It picks up from there.

I'm not really enjoying it all that much and I'm struggling to work out what it is that isn't making it click anymore. The big things that seem different to me from the first 3 seasons (which amounted to one of my Top 2 TV comedies of all time):

1. The horrible green-screen nature of every scene with Lindsay (and others too)
2. Each episode doesn't seem to stand alone as they all want to tell a larger story
3. Too much narration (if I get the time, I'd love to do a comparison with the % of narration in each script vs the episode ratings on IMDB)
4. Shoe-horning cameos in (although that was more Season 4 than Season 5)
5. Some of the characters became noticeably different and ruined the dynamics

Does anyone else have some ideas of why it's not hitting those high notes anymore?

The first three seasons were on par or exceed any comedy show on TV, as someone said, it was a simple premise. The latter seasons, they tried too hard in expanding the characters and scenarios into complexities that it didn't need. In other words, learn from British TV and just stop at your height, the fans will understand and continue to love the show for what it was (i.e. the original and the best British Office). I still don't know why the Americans are so hell bent of trying hard to recapture the secret sauce of a show, that they end up over seasoning it making it tasteless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to season 5, utterly disappointed. I barely laughed at all. Stopped after ep3.

To me the characters felt like caricatures of themselves. They turned Tobias into a child (playing gleefully in the ocean when he was Lucille's shrink), George is no longer the firm hard ass he used to be, Buster becoming even more dependent and whiney.. just unrecognizable from what they all were in the first 3 seasons and what made them funny.

Legacy tarnished.

i actually thought the opposite, there wasn't enough Ron Howard in S5.
You obviously stopped watching before the episode that was literally all Ron Howard. George Michael goes to a BBQ at Rebel's house and meets the whole family!!!

Finally got around to season 5, utterly disappointed. I barely laughed at all. Stopped after ep3.

To me the characters felt like caricatures of themselves. They turned Tobias into a child (playing gleefully in the ocean when he was Lucille's shrink), George is no longer the firm hard ass he used to be, Buster becoming even more dependent and whiney.. just unrecognizable from what they all were in the first 3 seasons and what made them funny.

Legacy tarnished.
I'd go so far as to say trashed, not just tarnished. I'm probably not even gonna bother watching the second half of this season whenever they get round to releasing it.

Anyone else think they should've just written Lindsay's character out completely (maybe she dies when the Queen Mary sinks)? It might've sucked, but it certainly would've been better than all the green screen scenes she did.

Anyone seen the second half of S5? Thoughts or has everyone moved on

Is the entire season 5 on foxtel or is it staggered? Would like to know before I trigger this 10 day free trial

Is the entire season 5 on foxtel or is it staggered? Would like to know before I trigger this 10 day free trial

Will try to keep this as spoiler light as possible...

I series linked it last Saturday when they showed the whole season and watched it over the weekend. It's like any of the seasons, it's the second view where you can really make the judgement call - I'm yet to do that though. First watch there was some really strong episodes and a few thuds but that's been this show since the initial reboot for S4. The core cast is still great if not a little rough around the edges (Arnett is husky to say the least), main problem is they still don't know what to do with Tobias. Would have liked some of the recurring side characters the previous seasons get some play but that's a trade off for them not bringing back some others. There's a jarring subplot later in the season that had me squirming but in normal AD style the pay off is very smart and I'll be fine with it in a rewatch. The ending does come with a level of finality which is good, Hurwitz I believe wants to make a 6th season but there's no necessity if everybody can't/won't get back together.

As far as Foxtel showings go it looks like the marathons were exclusive to last weekend and it's now being shown as a weekly episode, or two a week (detrimental IMO, the show has always been a binge watch). There is currently four episodes up on by demand so it's worthwhile holding your free trial for a few weeks.

Moved on. I absolutely loved this show and they completely ruined it. Season 4 was atrocious and simply not very funny. The first half of season 5 was marginally better, but still an absolute shell of its former glory. I can't put myself through it anymore.

Yeah I haven’t watched the 2nd half yet, but although I didn’t mind the first half of S5, it just puts too much of a bad taste in my mouth now to see it continue. Hope Hurwitz doesn’t push for S6

Found it online on some dodgy site, watched all of S5. It's a shame that they monumentally ruined those first 3-5 episodes, because it put everyone right off. I feel like all of the catch-up and Lindsay greenscreen to set up the S5 storyline should have been a Ron Howard 3 minute monologue, and then a tight 10 episode series. I enjoyed it, all the random s**t tied up to be worthwhile in the end, like the random episode-starting flashbacks.

Gob storyline good, how fakeblock ended up working out was good, Tobias meh, Lucille+George meh (was kind of hoping for a return of megalomaniac George, never paid off), Michael+George Michael great. Once you get past the pile of trash at the start I don't feel like it tarnishes the earlier seasons.

S6 Verdict- Only if the cast can get together. Too many awkwardly redubbed lines and that greenscreen. I wish more American TV shows could follow the 6 episode a season model, feel like AD could really nail a dense storyline in 3 hours.

S6 Verdict- Only if the cast can get together. Too many awkwardly redubbed lines and that greenscreen. I wish more American TV shows could follow the 6 episode a season model, feel like AD could really nail a dense storyline in 3 hours.

I wonder if the Netflix movie model may be the future of AD. Allows them to focus some funds on ensuring the key cast are all actually in a room together.

I'm not really enjoying it all that much and I'm struggling to work out what it is that isn't making it click anymore. The big things that seem different to me from the first 3 seasons (which amounted to one of my Top 2 TV comedies of all time):

1. The horrible green-screen nature of every scene with Lindsay (and others too)
2. Each episode doesn't seem to stand alone as they all want to tell a larger story
3. Too much narration (if I get the time, I'd love to do a comparison with the % of narration in each script vs the episode ratings on IMDB)
4. Shoe-horning cameos in (although that was more Season 4 than Season 5)
5. Some of the characters became noticeably different and ruined the dynamics

Does anyone else have some ideas of why it's not hitting those high notes anymore?
The writing is not as funny

Remove this Banner Ad

Back