Remove this Banner Ad

Ridley This

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-29/lakes-point-to-prove

Not a super in-depth interview, but does shed a little light on his mindset.
For mine it shoes him clearly playing for himself and no-one else these days. That must put dint in the "Best Bulldog EVA" crap that was attached to him at time of trade. Trade value is another story.
Time will tell if his knees are shoot I guess. Let him prove whatever he wants to prove. We move on.

Cant realy understand him saying he wanted to prove the doubters wrong as i think he did that himself by bouncing back in 2012 and playing some great footy.
Regardles i am really sorry to see him go he was a great player for us not only beat the best forwards but took them on as well he was great to watch.
Im going to hate seeing him run around in Hawthorn colours and i dont really subscribe to the theory his time was up with the bulldogs.

When the "team" is the basis of your developing culture, and in 2-3 years when we expect to be "up there", there really was a logic in the parting of Lake who will be 32-33 when the Dogs are snarling again. And lets be honest, love or hate him, he was a strange egg!!

I would have thought he proved doubters wrong with a good 2012.

What he really means is he didn't want to continue to play the team role up forward or back to help support a young list

Good luck to him he will probably play finals in 2013

I don't hold any bad blood against Lake. He's ageing and has been an absolutely phenomenal player - he deserves a premiership and if he wants to chase that and the opportunity arises, I wish him the best of luck. I don't think it's right to abuse him, or hold anything against him. Yes, he was against the move forward, and yes, he didn't really want to develop the youngsters to take his spot when he decides to retire. Not everybody are leaders, though - some just do the best they can with what they've got and work their heart out for the team. Brian clearly did this, and wants to try and chase his dreams. Best of luck to him I say.

I don't hold anything against Lake, we got Hrovat out it so hopefully it works out for us aswell as lake. I don't like Hawthorn, so I kind of don't want them to win the flag even if Brain is there.

Between 08-10 he was amazing, those three seasons he was talk in the same company as Fletcher and Scartlett (09/10 he was better than both imo), I hope he has a couple of good years left because he is great to watch in full flight.

I don't hold any bad blood against Lake. He's ageing and has been an absolutely phenomenal player - he deserves a premiership and if he wants to chase that and the opportunity arises, I wish him the best of luck. I don't think it's right to abuse him, or hold anything against him. Yes, he was against the move forward, and yes, he didn't really want to develop the youngsters to take his spot when he decides to retire. Not everybody are leaders, though - some just do the best they can with what they've got and work their heart out for the team. Brian clearly did this, and wants to try and chase his dreams. Best of luck to him I say.
It's instructive to compare Bob Murphy and Brian Lake. We're lucky to have had two such fine players. Two similar age defenders who have both been AAs, played for us during the highs as well as the lows and both recovered from major injury problems. If they were genuine leaders either could have been captain by now, but they exhibit leadership in different ways. Murphy a bit more obviously than Lake, but Lake did provide some leadership in the back half.

Lake has sought the opportunity for a flag at another club, while Murphy has said he knows he won't win one now, but it would be unthinkable to leave his beloved Bulldogs.

I don't resent Lake having a crack with another club. (Actually I'm glad he left when he did.) He would be close to the best FB we've ever had (scrapping it out with Herb Henderson and Rick Kennedy).

In the end though, you make your choices and you have to live with the consequences. Both Lake and Murphy have served the club extremely well but only one of these players in my opinion deserves to be regarded as a legend of the club.

The question I have is 'who does he have to prove anything about his knee to?' Nothing I know of from the media. So it sounds to me like our club wrote him off as a long term (3-4 year) prospect as full-back based on his knee (and probably the rest of his body), so that was why we were intending to keep grooming Roughead as FB and chuck Lake in the forward line.

Personally I think it's all bullsh!t though, and he's used to doing as he likes (because he's awesome at it) and getting all the glory (because he deserved it), but it clearly wasn't panning out like that with the McCartney regime. So he got the shits on and took the opportunity to go premiership hunting with Hawthorn.

I guess it remains to be seen how many years of good-service he gives Hawthorn. He was pretty good this year, but well down on 09-10 (06-10 really).

Am looking forward to seeing how the angry midget deals with his brain fades...

Has anyone else noticed that this article has completely disappeared or been pulled from the AFL website?

"No Life of Brian for new defender Roughead"
m.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-24/roughead

I was going to post the link in Roughie's tag but it's gone as if it never existed (including any trace of the photo).

AFL have a problem with their website or something else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am looking forward to seeing how the angry midget deals with his brain fades...

Ditto.

Seeing I still believe that his "brain fade" cost us a shot at the 09 flag

What bothers me most is that he said he's taking a pay cut to play for the Hawks. What utter bullshit. He never would have got paid that much at the dogs even if we did give him a 1 year extension next year.
He went for more money. Simple as that. Hawthorn offered him a longer contract.

Lake would have been one of our highest paid players in 2013 along with Cooney. He still had another year on his contract at the dogs but he agreed to rip that up for a chance at a flag.

He did take a pay cut...

Is that common? For any particular reason do you think? I can usually find a trace of something somewhere but not this one.

Without seeing the original its hard to say.. Maybe there was an error with the article or it was something that wasnt supposed to be published. Who knows

Lake would have been one of our highest paid players in 2013 along with Cooney. He still had another year on his contract at the dogs but he agreed to rip that up for a chance at a flag.

He did take a pay cut...

Incorrect..sort of. He had a 1 year contract(remaining) at the Dogs but signed a 2 year contract at Hawthorn at a lesser rate in 2013 but in 2014 he'll be earning more than he would at the dogs had he stayed.

This is especially true if he gets injured next year - a very real possibility. He has the money in the bank already.

He is going to rip us several new ones when we play the hawks if we deliver the ball into the f50 same as last year.

Hrovat could very well be at the hawks had we not traded so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

What was the end result? Instead of Lake and Tim Obrien, we have Hrovat and Stevens?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back