Preview Changes Vs Golden Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one play by the swans last night that highlighted why we are struggling. Warner got the ball near the wing he had an easy 20 metre kick down the line. This would have resulted in a slow play and bomb into a crowded forward line. He stopped propped got around his bombers player hit a pass 30 metres to a swans player in the corridor who hit another swans players on the chest in an open forward line for an easy goal.

If this was the dogs we would have taken the slow play down the line. One because of our defensive coaching and second our player if he took the harder option would have missed the kick and turned it over.

The best teams are about risk and reward the defence first game of an old Ross Lyon is dead if you want to succeed he knows it and has changed the saints into an attacking team.

Last edited:

There was one play by the swans last night that highlighted why we are struggling. Warner got the ball near the wing he had an easy 20 metre kick down the line. This would have resulted in a slow play and bomb into a crowded forward line. He stopped propped got around his bombers player hit a pass 30 metres to a swans player in the corridor who hit another swans players on the chest in an open forward line for an easy goal.

If this was the dogs we would have taken the slow play down the line. One because of our defensive coaching and second our player if he took the harder option would have missed the kick and turned it over.
our kicking skills arnt the best, and i guess a lot of players wouldn't be confident to execute it (and instructed to)

So our coaches instruct the players to not hit available targets in the corridor?
it doesn't appear judging from our game style the last few years... also be that teams flood the corridor vs us?
but we just dont have the kicking skills of an elite team to execute high risk kicks (we dont tend to take high risk kicks)

Last edited:

The best teams are about risk and reward the defence first game of an old Ross Lyon is dead if you want to succeed he knows it and has changed the saints into an attacking team.

Sydney look like the real deal this year. I’m not 100% convinced on their defense, particularly talls, but going forward they look elite.

Completely agree re. their approach to the game and willingness to take the more difficult but attacking option. They do have a number of excellent kicks though, not sure we’ve got many as good as Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Blakey, Campbell etc.

It's funny how one snippet of play will remind you of how far off it we appear to be.

Last week for me it was Switkowski of Freo sprinting with real intent across ground for 40 metres to lay a smother.

When we were a manic team in 2015-16 they are the kinds of acts Morris, Boyd, Picken, Libba, Dahlhaus and Smith would pull off regularly and it was so fun to cheer for.

We're are so far way from that level of focus and desire now. Jeez I miss that team.

I want us to hit back and hit back hard, then the part of me that can't enjoy nice things will then think why does it take an embarrassing flogging to do so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back