Society & Culture As a kid, what did you want to be 'when I grow up'?

Remove this Banner Ad

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And why did it not work out? (Or did it work out? If so, is it as good a life as you had imagined?)

I never really wanted to be anything back when I was a kid. When JAG was cool, I wanted to be a lawyer in the defence force. That interest in law lasted until about the halfway-mark of The Practice, but then just fell away (perhaps when I realised how much work it would entail to actually practice law). Later on a teacher convinced me I'd make a good engineer so I went so far as to enrol in an eng degree but once in quickly realised it wasn't for me.

Looking back, I know of quite a few people who really did have dreams back in school. Things they were passionate about, things they specifically studied hard in school for. So few of them have ended up anywhere near where they had dreamed. I guess the benefit of having had no real dreams was that I was never at risk of failing to reach them. I also know of one or two people who did reach their dream and I am happy for them... but I don't know if they are happy.

So, my bigfooty brethren, what did you want to be? And why? When did you give up on the dream; at what point did you realise the dream had slipped away?

Over to you, bigfooty.

:thumbsu:

I didn't really have a thing I really wanted to be, but if anything it would have been a policeman. Im still thinking about doing it though. I know a couple of people my age who have just graduated from the academy, and that reminded me of it.

Hasn't slipped away yet, plenty of time to try, if I decide I want to do that.

Wanted to be a doctor, or more precisely, get in to medicine. I used it more as a motivator than because I was passionate about it. I was really motivated to just do something big, and getting in to the MBBS at Melbourne Uni seemed the go. In the end I missed out by an inch and can point to the exact two exams which cost me. :( I gave up on the dream after those exams.

My fallback was law which I loathe and I'll be switching degrees having spent 3 and a bit years battling through it.

Astronaut or fighter pilot. I'm horribly suited to either of those things, but I did end up an engineer which I do enjoy (after a short diversion into law which I did not.)

I am interested moving into engineering, have been doing my trade as a BMW for 12 years now but am looking at using my skills else where off the tools! Civil/structural eng would be what I go for!
How do you recommend I go about this
Cheers

I'm a mechanical engineer in the mining industry (consulting). I had no intention of doing that when I was at uni, but did work experience at a big mine. Turned out well.

If you want to be an engineer mate the only way is to go to uni. If you've been doing trades prepare yourself for a big step down in wages though. :p

Wanted to be a cop or a journalist when I was young. Still my dream to be a hot-shot international journalist reporting in the middle-east. A dream which will in all probability never eventuate, which makes me sad, but I'm a realist.

Really wanted to be a lawyer when I got to about year 11 and studied my arse off to get into the course. Law school on the whole has been a negative experience which has destroyed a lot of my idealism though.

Have no idea what will follow uni. Might join the army.

Wanted to be a cop or a journalist when I was young. Still my dream to be a hot-shot international journalist reporting in the middle-east. A dream which will in all probability never eventuate, which makes me sad, but I'm a realist.

Really wanted to be a lawyer when I got to about year 11 and studied my arse off to get into the course. Law school on the whole has been a negative experience which has destroyed a lot of my idealism though.

Have no idea what will follow uni. Might join the army.

Wow. What year of law are you in? Seriously, your thought processes mirror mine so much.

A football commentator. And I still do.

As I 6 year old I used to love Rex Hunt and Clinton Grybas.
I used to turn down the sound and commentate whole games. I dunno what drew me to it, just the excitement of calling the footy. I love football nearly more than anything else. And to do it for a living, I just can't see myself doing anything else.

Now that I've started doing radio and print stuff, it's even better than I thought it was. Getting your first media contacts is a thrill in it's own. I don't do it because I want to tell everyone how it is or for my own ego to get on TV/radio, I just love football, so bloody much.

Wow. What year of law are you in? Seriously, your thought processes mirror mine so much.
Third year of the degree now and two more to go. Thought the degree was simply ok in my first year, then quickly learned that it doesn't get better, rather, it gets drabber. You also start to look at things in a more narrow way and you get to know some seriously shitty people detached from the important things in life. It's a frustrating experience.

I'm a mechanical engineer in the mining industry (consulting). I had no intention of doing that when I was at uni, but did work experience at a big mine. Turned out well.

If you want to be an engineer mate the only way is to go to uni. If you've been doing trades prepare yourself for a big step down in wages though. :p

Yep uni it is, can't just give up work though to study full time so I might have to look at night schooling or something similar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ended up finishing mine, 6.5 years in (double degree). Wouldn't be where I am without it so I'm happy in that sense but it did cost me a lot of HECS debt. :p

Third year of the degree now and two more to go. Thought the degree was simply ok in my first year, then quickly learned that it doesn't get better, rather, it gets drabber. You also start to look at things in a more narrow way and you get to know some seriously shitty people detached from the important things in life. It's a frustrating experience.

Bro, I'm in about 4th year. "You must be nearly done.." No. Still got two years. I won't be finishing it. I'll start something new next semester.

Everything you say is exactly right. Why the army though? Is it to be part of something 'real' after the falseness of law?

Bro, I'm in about 4th year. "You must be nearly done.." No. Still got two years. I won't be finishing it. I'll start something new next semester.

Everything you say is exactly right. Why the army though? Is it to be part of something 'real' after the falseness of law?
Sounds like we're on a similar sort of timeline and I'm glad I'm sharing the same experience with somebody else, as selfish as that may sound.

The only reason I haven't packed it in yet is because I'll be going on exchange next semester. That's really one of the only things that has kept me going for the past year.

I see the legal culture as completely superficial and dishonest. Law school is the seedbed for this and exactly the sort of place which fosters this type of culture. The law events, the law-student body, the extreme competitiveness, the privileged arseholes that make up the law school. It's just all bullshit mate. Spot on, the army is 'real-life' at least and an honest representation of how life truly is. The legal industry is an insulated bubble and doesn't welcome you unless you behave a certain way, speak a certain way and know people from a particular area. For example, one of the smartest guys I know wasn't able to secure seasonals because he has a thickish sort of accent and ethnic background.

Can only do what makes you happy mate!:thumbsu:

Geographer, Cartographer, Paleontologist and Geologist to a lesser extent have been careers I wanted to do when I was in primary school. I had a fascination with street directory maps and atlases when I was a kid. In my later primary school years I developed a fascination with dinosaurs as well.

Shied away from Geology because I wanted to work in an office in the city, and have been told that other other professions were useless job-wise. So I ended up being an Environmental Engineer.

During my experience in environmental engineering jobs I have really enjoyed doing GIS tasks so depending on future job opportunities it's possible that my career could drift towards the cartography and geography route in the future.

A football commentator. And I still do.

As I 6 year old I used to love Rex Hunt and Clinton Grybas.
I used to turn down the sound and commentate whole games. I dunno what drew me to it, just the excitement of calling the footy. I love football nearly more than anything else. And to do it for a living, I just can't see myself doing anything else.

Now that I've started doing radio and print stuff, it's even better than I thought it was. Getting your first media contacts is a thrill in it's own. I don't do it because I want to tell everyone how it is or for my own ego to get on TV/radio, I just love football, so bloody much.

Everything in here sums me up as well.

Looking back, I know of quite a few people who really did have dreams back in school. Things they were passionate about, things they specifically studied hard in school for. So few of them have ended up anywhere near where they had dreamed. I guess the benefit of having had no real dreams was that I was never at risk of failing to reach them. I also know of one or two people who did reach their dream and I am happy for them... but I don't know if they are happy.

I wish I had dreams to be a certain something, then I might have tried. It sucks not having a real passion to pursue, and not getting satisfaction out of your profession.

I always wanted to be a pilot, and I became a pilot.

It was s**t.

If a quarter-life crisis is such a thing, this led to one after having thought I had it all sorted, to becoming disillusioned with where everything was headed.

I was then convinced of my 'life calling' on a weekly basis - doctor, veterinarian, journalist, author, historian, zoologist, museum curator...

Settled on none of them.

Ultimate dream job would be a member of SG-1.

Some strong dreams in this thread. As a kid I wanted to be a garbo. Thought them riding the back of the truck was cool.

Think my parents convinced me becoming a fireman was cooler. Deep down though I wanted to be a garbo.

Through high school I wanted to drink, take drugs and be a ****wit. No life goal.

As of now I'm thinking of working in the mines for some quick cash.

If there was anything I thought about doing for more than 20 minutes, it was this.

Teaching not working out? You're a teacher, yeah?

Far from it. Painter. Not too much work around atm. My bigfooty browsing has increased a s**t load as a result.

Always wanted to be a train driver. Was obsessed with building lego and stuff so my folks thought Id be an engineer.

After school I started studying commerce which I hated and only lasted one semester. Since then Ive got degrees in occupational therapy and teaching...kind of wish I did engineering cos thats where the moneys at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back