Multiplat Ashes Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't played mate. I'll pick it up at some point, just been watching this thread waiting to see if I should wait for a patch or not.

As far as I have read and can tell from my limited game experience, there are no game-breaking bugs on the current version (which has already received a patch).

I'd say the biggest bug so far is that cancelling a run can be a very slow process and players just look like they are standing there before turning. However, the fielders reacted equally slowly (in these cases, normally they're good) so I've never had a dodgy runout in this way.

It's a fun game. Batting is heavily improved, which was a big let down in DBC 17.

Some more thoughts ....

Things I like about the game is the massively improved bowling. The tips earlier about pace sliders have improved this even more. I still don't know if this has impacted the difficulty, although it seemed a lot easier to bowl england out the second time, than it was the first.

The batting has also improved over DBC 14 (I didnt play DBC 17), in particular the indicator that appears early to indicate if the ball will be short or pitched up. Its so difficult to replicate the speed and instant decision making of real cricket in a computer game, but this is easily the best effort yet. There is still 'some' guess work involved, but not nearly as much DBC 14.

I think the graphics are a massive improvement. The motion captured players look great, maybe not NBA 2k great, but still more than adequate. I was batting last night with Warner and Khawaja, and having the short Warner with the short sleeves and sweatband along with the taller Khawaja with the long sleeves, doing his poor man's Brian Lara impression trying to launch big cover drives was such a step-up from previous cricket games.

Bugs I have noticed are too many one handed caught and bowled(s).

A run out bug where the computer stays stationary at one end while the other player runs. This isn't completely unusual in real cricket, but playing the game you can tell its a bug. Especially when it happens too often.

Other minor issues. The spacing of the field, noted in previous posts - fine leg despite being placed on the fence ... appears closer to a short fine leg or a '45' in the new age talk. Other field positions are similar to this. Surely this would be a relatively easy fix

The AI running between wickets, like all cricket games is notoriously defensive.

Some of settings don't seem to save, and you have to go back in fix them when re-starting a save etc ...

None of these bugs are even close to game breaking. The game auto saves after each over, so if you hit a bug - its easy enough to restart the over. I have probably had to do this 3 times in the 4 innings of the match I am currently playing.

I really hate how cricket games are covered. Why is all the gameplay just people slogging on Rookie and creaming sixes? Am I the only one that plays cricket games on any sort of difficulty so I have to block and leave?

What is the bowling AI like? Does the AI still bowl a variety pack of terrible deliveries, which reduces playing cricket to a bore because there is no waiting for the right ball or using judgement? If the game has test bowlers capable of bowling 6 "green" length deliveries around off stump for an over I will be tempted.

What is the bowling AI like? Does the AI still bowl a variety pack of terrible deliveries, which reduces playing cricket to a bore because there is no waiting for the right ball or using judgement? If the game has test bowlers capable of bowling 6 "green" length deliveries around off stump for an over I will be tempted.
Thought I was the only one waiting for the day that happened.

Scored my first ton yesterday after a whole club season. I was so bad in my first season but finally got the grind in my second and made 152* as well as taking 4 wickets for the match. It's so rewarding to grind it out especially when playing on a relatively hard setting. It took me like 2 actual hours to score the runs but worth it.

Despite bowling every single delivery with perfect jump and perfect release on a green wicket with cloud over head Im still yet to get a single edge. Like every cricket game thats ever been, slips are still completely redundant.

Would love to be able to justify actually setting proper test match fields and bowling to a plan rather than just rinse and repeat hope they **** up bore fests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hate how cricket games are covered. Why is all the gameplay just people slogging on Rookie and creaming sixes? Am I the only one that plays cricket games on any sort of difficulty so I have to block and leave?

AI is prone to bowling shocking wides that go for four a lot. Seems to be even more frequent the higher you go up in difficulty. In fact, I really cant tell the difference between pro, veteren and legend. Most games get harder as you increase in difficulty. But not big ant games.

Also, after cracking Alistair Cook in the jaw with a bouncer his confidence goes up....go figure.

I remember Ricky Ponting cricket 2005. That had this little confidence mini game thing going on down pact. It gave purpose to bowling to a plan and tightening the screws to build pressure, or when batting judging the risk reward and going for a big shot to gain confidence. Other than that, the game was a pile of s**t.

Last edited:
Like every cricket game thats ever been, slips are still completely redundant.
I remember one of the earlier EA games (think it was Cricket 2002) where bowling outswingers over the wicket would almost always generate slip catches, and as a result I would have just about my whole team in slips

I found this video to be interesting, showing how the games have progressed over the years.

Some of the bowling and batting shot animations were surprisingly good in the early games. I am interested to see what EA do with the rumoured cricket title they are set to release in 2019. Cricket 2004 and 2007 were quality games for their time.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming/ea-sports-set-for-return-to-cricket-games-in-2019

cricket 2007 on the PC with the planet cricket mods to give more nicks and 360 degree batting was the best cricket game imo.

planet cricket was the first ever forum i joined actually lol cant believe i used to make sheffield shield and ING Cup mods and have 11k posts there lmao
WHY IZ SACHIN N0T IN GAME ROSZZ
PLEZ ANSWR

Sorry was channelling my inner Planet Cricket poster

WHY IZ SACHIN N0T IN GAME ROSZZ
PLEZ ANSWR

Sorry was channelling my inner Planet Cricket poster
hahahahahahahah in tears, spot on!

i haven't been on in years.. think I left right after the andrew symonds/harbajhan race war... the indian posters over there were savage.

the ashes was always good banter tho.

I remember one of the earlier EA games (think it was Cricket 2002) where bowling outswingers over the wicket would almost always generate slip catches, and as a result I would have just about my whole team in slips

I found this video to be interesting, showing how the games have progressed over the years.

Some of the bowling and batting shot animations were surprisingly good in the early games. I am interested to see what EA do with the rumoured cricket title they are set to release in 2019. Cricket 2004 and 2007 were quality games for their time.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming/ea-sports-set-for-return-to-cricket-games-in-2019

In Cricket 2000 you could bowl balls that nearly swung or spun the width of the pitch. It was possible to bowl people around their legs yet you'd always get called wide.

I found this video to be interesting, showing how the games have progressed over the years

“Progressed” is a delicate term

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cricket 2007 on the PC with the planet cricket mods to give more nicks and 360 degree batting was the best cricket game imo.

planet cricket was the first ever forum i joined actually lol cant believe i used to make sheffield shield and ING Cup mods and have 11k posts there lmao

Planetcricket needs a nuke. So many kwon rats there, many who have now become staff members. Those snowycasanova and biggs guys need their heads used as batting practice

Planetcricket needs a nuke. So many kwon rats there, many who have now become staff members. Those snowycasanova and biggs guys need their heads used as batting practice
Nailed it. I posted there for a while but those 2 in particular actually keep me away. Post anything remotely critical about the game and Snowy and Biggs jump all over you, often with personal attacks. It's like North Korea over there.

It’s better than DBC17, playing through an ashes series against my brother and it’s quite enjoyable.
How do you go with that? All my multiplayer games start out playing normal cricket and end with a 7/2 field bowling a foot outside off after the batsman spent the first 5 overs smashing 6s all over the shop.

Mutliplayer is screwed. All the player names come up as CENSORED. Once again, basic stuff they cant get right. And smashing sixes off spinners is way too easy, yet playing pace bowling is much harder. There is no point bowling spinners at all.

Mutliplayer is screwed. All the player names come up as CENSORED. Once again, basic stuff they cant get right. And smashing sixes off spinners is way too easy, yet playing pace bowling is much harder. There is no point bowling spinners at all.
Make sure all controllers are logged into the PSN. That is completely out of Big Ant's hands

Game still has major issues. Its easier to hit a six practically every ball than noodle around singles. And the animations are messed up. Dont know how many times Ive pulled a ball through cover for four, or square drove a ball through mid wicket for six

The AI blocking out the last over of a T20 or bowling 4 wides an over is annoying too

Game still has major issues. Its easier to hit a six practically every ball than noodle around singles. And the animations are messed up. Dont know how many times Ive pulled a ball through cover for four, or square drove a ball through mid wicket for six

The AI blocking out the last over of a T20 or bowling 4 wides an over is annoying too

Have you updated?

Have you updated?

Yerp. Shot animations look superb. Flicks off the pads, even the leave and defence animations look much better. Ill give them that. Its getting closer to being a good game. Just some amateur-like bugs to mop up. Hitting sixes is easier than hitting along the ground is something that desperately needs fixing. Even on legendary difficulty. Hopefully they’ll fix it.