ASIO reveals plot by retired politician to introduce a prime minister's family member to foreign spies

Remove this Banner Ad

Redacted

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

An unnamed former Australian politician, who was successfully cultivated by an international spy ring, once suggested bringing a prime minister's family member into contact with their foreign handlers.

The boss of Australia's domestic intelligence organisation has given few details of the alleged plot from "several years ago" but has confirmed the Counter Foreign Interference Taskforce has conducted more than 120 operations since it was established in 2020.

Delivering his annual threat assessment, the director general of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) has revealed he regularly speaks to overseas counterparts to urge them to stop espionage activities here, adding "and they usually do".

In his speech, Mike Burgess has described an overseas intelligence service that considers Australia a "priority target" and runs a group of operatives ASIO has dubbed the "Australia team", or "A-Team".

"The spies pose as consultants, head-hunters, local government officials, academics and think tank researchers, claiming to be from fictional companies such as Data 31," Mr Burgess told an audience inside ASIO's Canberra headquarters.

"Most commonly, they offer their targets consulting opportunities, promising to pay thousands of dollars for reports on Australian trade, politics, economics, foreign policy, defence and security."

Mr Burgess has described how several years ago the A-team successfully cultivated and recruited a former, but unnamed, Australian politician.

"This politician sold out their country, party and former colleagues to advance the interests of the foreign regime."

"At one point, the former politician even proposed bringing a prime minister's family member into the spies' orbit. Fortunately that plot did not go ahead but other schemes did."

Following the speech Mr Burgess took questions from assembled journalists and confirmed the former member of Parliament had cut ties with the foreign intelligence service and was no longer regarded as a national security risk.

"Personally, I don't think they'll be stupid enough to repeat what they've done in the past, so problem neutralised, harm in some elements was done," he said.

"Of course, we stopped it where we could given the means we had and that's our lot, now we're in a much better place with foreign interference laws."

Via ASIO reveals plot by retired politician to introduce a prime minister's family member to foreign spies

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

If it’s the man who spends more time in Manila than Queensland you’re referring to than I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was caught in a honeypot doing something depraved. I reckon it’s probably someone we all know about already, Dastyari. If not him than either Fitzgibbon or Robb.

If it’s the man who spends more time in Manila than Queensland you’re referring to than I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was caught in a honeypot doing something depraved. I reckon it’s probably someone we all know about already, Dastyari. If not him than either Fitzgibbon or Robb.
Dastyari first sprung to mind but Chistensen also a definite possibility. God it would be good to see either of those scumbags behind bars.

I’m pretty sure it’s Dastyari and that’s hardly a revelation. I’m pretty sus on the fact that ASIO has made a big song and dance about this on the very day an ex LIBERAL candidate has been charged for shilling for the CPC though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chinese infiltrators, by any chance? Wouldn't surprise me a bit. And it wouldn't be the first time something like this has been attempted.

Even that idiot Dan Andrews springs to mind for me... lefty commie ex-polly idiot a little too pally with China.

Chinese infiltrators, by any chance? Wouldn't surprise me a bit. And it wouldn't be the first time something like this has been attempted.

Even that idiot Dan Andrews springs to mind for me... lefty commie ex-polly idiot a little too pally with China.
Shame it's more likely to be a lib.

Extraordinary moment MP uses parliamentary privilege to accuse rival politician of being a traitor in the pocket of China

A Victorian MP has used parliamentary privilege to name a former rival politician he claims is the unidentified 'traitor' to Australia allegedly unearthed by ASIO.

In Victoria's state upper house, Adem Somyurek, who was a former factional warlord of Victorian Labor but is now an independent, named former MP Anthony Byrne as the 'traitor' alluded to by spy chief Mike Burgess last week.

Extraordinary moment MP uses parliamentary privilege to accuse rival politician of being a traitor in the pocket of China

A Victorian MP has used parliamentary privilege to name a former rival politician he claims is the unidentified 'traitor' to Australia allegedly unearthed by ASIO.

In Victoria's state upper house, Adem Somyurek, who was a former factional warlord of Victorian Labor but is now an independent, named former MP Anthony Byrne as the 'traitor' alluded to by spy chief Mike Burgess last week.

There appears to be bit of history between these two. So unless Burgess confirms it, then it is still just speculation.

So far he's only confirmed that the Chinese Spy Agency was behind it.

They never identified who bugged Byrnes office which led to key parts of the anti China faction in the ALP getting booted.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back