Current Ice Hockey's Adam Johnson death to be investigated by police

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats the culprit

8014a5f6b5ac3b51f04dee9afe66a173

Article says its highly unlikely to get a charge for manslaughter.

“From what I have read on the news, it seems very unlikely the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) would prosecute,” Nicola Lacey, professor of law, gender and social policy at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), told Newsweek

“For manslaughter you need either gross negligence — a really large departure from normal standards of care such as to justify criminal liability; or an unlawful and dangerous act — the latter only likely if for example there had be a pretty flagrant breach of the sport’s rules.

“If it was really a ‘freak accident,’ neither of those tests would be met; and the CPS can only prosecute where there is a realistic chance of conviction.”

There's some on twitter. To me it's clear he kicked out intentionally and twitter seems to agree so I'm unsure where this "freak accident" (even though it is I guess) narrative is coming from. Not many media outlets calling it out but some ex players are...

There seems to be no reason to throw a leg out like that, so I understand why the police are investigating.

I'll have a look later for clearer image from a different angle.

The kick looks intentional but striking him in the throat might mot have been.
I hope the game authority suspend him for a considerable amount of time.

Just to spell out to others who have used the tactic in the past rethink future behaviors

The surviving player who was involved has a long and bleak record of penalties for being overly aggressive. I think this, coupled with the footage of the incident suggests he should face some consequences for the action. I’m not sure whether that’s criminal, a long or permanent ban from the sport or just the lifelong suffering he will already be facing but it’s not like this was his first incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tragic. Matt Petgrave should definitely be suspended. I'm not an Ice Hockey expert but I watch my fair share and having your leg up like that is clearly not allowed. You need to be completely knocked off balance to be absolved of any responsibility for having your leg that high - he had contact so he's not in full control but he's still got enough control that there isn't a hockey justification for that action.

It looks like he's gone to impede Johnson with his leg but made a massive error of judgement as to how much control he does have. So on that front, he's got to be suspended, possibly even permanently when you factor in his rap sheet on the rink is pretty ordinary.

Murder charge? No, obviously.

Manslaughter charge? I'd say unlikely. As has been mentioned elsewhere the CPS is only going to charge someone if they think it's a win and it just looks like it would be too easy for a lawyer to get him off on the grounds of not having full control of his body. What I imagine the police will look for is if there was any antagonism between Petgrave and Johnson or Johnson's teammates... If there was clear tension between Petgrave and his opponents on the night and/or another nasty looking incident that would suggest Petgrave is out there looking to injure an opponent, then he could be in quite of trouble. But I haven't seen anything to suggest that has happened, and I'm pretty sure the Daily Mail would have been all over it if he had been (as an aside, the Daily Mail and Fox News reporting on this incident should be feeling a little bit too gleeful for any normal person).

One last thing - it's being called a freak accident, but ice hockey has had more than its fair share of bad cuts. The most infamous being Clint Malarchuk in the late 80's (gruesome images and footage out there for those who have the stomach). Something like this was bound to happen in the professional or semi-professional ranks soon enough.

Manslaughter charge? I'd say unlikely. As has been mentioned elsewhere the CPS is only going to charge someone if they think it's a win and it just looks like it would be too easy for a lawyer to get him off on the grounds of not having full control of his body.

What about an Involuntary Manslaughter charge? Would that be more likely to get over the line?

Reckless something something causing death?
Yeah, some sort of reckless endangerment of life, surely… I’ve seen a few different angles of this and it still looks to me like Petgrave was intentionally lining Johnson up. Either way it’s so incredibly tragic.

Gets arrested but the guy played yesterday and got a standing ovation from fans supporting the tough times he's had - WTF

Remember that time Maynard got a standing ovation from Collingwood fans for KO'ing Brayshaw and having to endure some tough times?

Sports fans do dumb things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back